• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Iowa woman said she ran over a 14-year-old girl because she 'was a Mexican,' police say

Mockingbird    2,857

(CNN) -- An Iowa woman was charged with attempted murder after running over a 14-year-old girl, saying she did so because the teenager "was a Mexican," police said.

Nicole Marie Poole Franklin, 42, was arrested on other charges and Thursday admitted to Clive police she hit the girl with her vehicle on December 9, according to a news release from the Clive Police Department. Clive is about 9 miles from Des Moines.

The girl was walking to Indian Hills Junior High when a vehicle drove onto the sidewalk, ran over her and left the scene, the release said.

"I don't remember the impact, I just remember the car coming toward me," the girl told CNN affiliate KCCI-TV. She added that she had been going to a basketball game. "I didn't do anything, I'm just a girl just walking to a basketball game."

Officials say the girl was able to return to school one week after the incident, according to CNN affiliate WOI-TV. CNN is not naming the girl because she is a minor.

During her interview with detectives, Poole Franklin, a Des Moines resident, said she was the driver and intentionally struck the girl because she "was a Mexican," police said. Poole Franklin then "made a series of derogatory statements about Latinos," police said.

Poole Franklin was charged with assault in a separate incident on December 9 after police said she used racist terms toward a clerk and customers at a West Des Moines convenience store and threw items at the clerk, KCCI reported. This incident took place about an hour and a half after the hit-and-run.

Authorities are looking at whether Poole Franklin running the girl over was a hate crime, Clive Police Chief Michael Venema said during a news conference.

"We're going to present all of that information to the prosecutors and ultimately they will make the determination on what crimes to prosecute," Venema said.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/us/iowa-woman-runs-over-teen-trnd/index.html