Definitive Best PC Manufacturer for 2020

Definitive Best Computer Manufacturer 2020  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

goretsky

Hello, 

For 2020, I thought I'd try something a little new and ask folks to share whom their favorite PC manufacturer is.  If you are a build-it-yourself type of person, be sure to specify Other (specify below) and share your favorite/preferred parts manufacturer.

This poll is multiple choice, so that you can select two (or more) choices.  If you do choose multiple options, please leave a comment with the ones you chose and why.  

Regards, 

Aryeh Goretsky 

• Like 1
  • goretsky pinned this topic
ThaCrip

Other

I tend to build stuff myself as the last time I bought a pre-built desktop was in 2001 (basically I had four pre-built desktops and pretty much two do-it-myself desktops on a personal level). because while I get with the average person they tend to like simple and will likely opt for a pre-built PC with a decent warranty, I prefer building one since you can generally get better quality components for a similar price (possibly better(?)) etc.

but on the two desktops I built for myself personally I have used ASUS motherboards. my current main PC I had since May 2012 although I used the case from my original one I initially built in March 2006 (was my previous main PC) but just swapped the motherboard/CPU/RAM out. in fact, the motherboard/CPU and somewhat RAM I had in the March 2006 PC, after I removed those, they were pretty much retired til about a year or so ago in which I got a hold of a cheap quality PSU (Seasonic) for only $2x.xx and used the old case from a PC I had in 2001 and put that into it which was a solid upgrade for next to no $ (it's a passable backup internet machine) and I figure even if that thing dies (it's got some swollen capacitors, which it was this way when I removed it from my computer in May 2012, but it's still rock stable), I can use the PSU in my main PC if my main PC's PSU ever dies since the PSU in my main pc was from Nov 2012 and is still going which is the longest I have had a PSU to date as it runs pretty much 24/7. it's Seasonic brand as, around the time I got it, I heard Seasonic are one of the more reliable PSU brands in general and, at least given my (limited) experience with PSU's, it's easily the longest lasting one I have had (since typically in the past all of my PSU's generally fail roughly within a year or so after the warranty ends (all previous PSU's I have had usually are 3 year warranty(one was a 2 year)) but currently that Seasonic one is past the warranty (which is a 5 year warranty) by 2 years and 2 months and counting). hell, even the one in my old PC I got roughly a year or so ago is Seasonic as I got a solid buy for only $2x.xx as not long after the person selling it must have caught on and raised their price to $40 for the same one which at that price, it's not bad, but not that great of a deal either as it's about normal price.

but anyways... as for AMD vs Intel, back in March 2006, AMD was still king (which i think it was for at least 5+ years prior to that over Intel in terms of gaming and the like) but shortly after I made that Intel came out with the Core 2 Duo stuff and, to my knowledge they have pretty much been ahead ever since in terms of speed per core and I suspect they are generally more energy efficient to. but, without researching stuff too much, it seems in fairly recent memory AMD is more competitive with Intel as I think you can generally get more CPU cores for less money than a Intel CPU. so it seems like if you do stuff that uses more cores, AMD is probably a safer bet but if not, I suspect Intel is probably the safer choice still. but I plan on milking my May 2012 system (i3-2120 CPU/8GB of RAM/1050 Ti 4GB GPU etc) for as long as I can as this way when I upgrade it will be a rather large upgrade for minimal $.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
rand0m.bullet

If it's for the enterprise then always Dell for work desktops, custom at home.

Mindovermaster

Didn't include Gigabyte...

spy beef

Apple, hands down, been using my MacBook Pro 2014 everyday without any issues for remote desktoping into my Windows machine to do actual work.

• Like 1
adrynalyne
24 minutes ago, spy beef said:

Apple, hands down, been using my MacBook Pro 2014 everyday without any issues for remote desktoping into my Windows machine to do actual work.

Ironic that you gotta remote into Windows to get work done. 😁

• Like 1
trek

Work - always a Lenovo Thinkpad

Personal - Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon and custom built PC

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Bethesda's Pete Hines: I'm sorry about Starfield Xbox exclusivity, but it is what it is
      by Usama Jawad

At E3 last week, we finally got official confirmation that Bethesda's highly-anticipated RPG Starfield is coming next year, but will only launch on PC, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox cloud play systems, which essentially means that last-gen consoles and PlayStation will be left out. Although this announcement was somewhat expected given Microsoft's acquisition of ZeniMax Media last year, it obviously rubbed some PlayStation players the wrong way. Bethesda's SVP Pete Hines has now issued an apology on the matter, while emphasizing that it is what it is.

In an interview with GameSpot, the executive went on to say that:

All said and done, it's pretty much clear that Bethesda has no plans to bring Starfield to PlayStation for now. Although it is important to understand that plans change all the time.

Starfield currently has a release date of November 11, 2022. The space adventure is being developed on Creation Engine 2, and in the in-engine trailer released a few days ago, we saw a spaceship parked on an unknown planet before a pressurized suit wearing individual - probably our protagonist - prepares to take off. Not much else is known about the game yet, but we'll likely find out more with the progression of time.

Source: GameSpot via GamesRadar

• By zikalify
      Component shortage fails to slow PC growth in Western Europe, says Canalys
      by Paul Hill

According to new research from Canalys, PC shipments in Western Europe during the first quarter reached 16.1 million units representing year-on-year growth of 48%. The analyst said that despite component shortages and high demand for PCs to enable working from home, the supply chain is in better shape than in Q1 2020 when COVID-19 brought everything to a standstill suddenly.

HP saw the most shipments at 4.1 million units, representing 26% market share and Lenovo saw 4.0 million shipments, representing a 25% market share. In the following three places were Dell, Apple, and Acer who had market shares of 14%, 10%, and 9% respectively. Of these, Apple saw the highest growth, up 127% year on year. Canalys said that the new M1 chipset was a major driver behind sales of new Macs.

Commenting on Apple’s success in Western Europe, Canalys Research Analyst Trang Pham said:

As we emerge from the pandemic, Canalys doesn’t believe we’ll return to the world as it was before the pandemic. Instead, it sees employees doing more remote work which will keep demand for PCs high. Over the next 12 months, Canalys doesn’t expect PC supply to match the “sustained demand surge”.

• By zikalify
      Gartner predicts in-use global devices will hit 6.2 billion this year
      by Paul Hill

The analyst firm Gartner has predicted that in-use devices including PCs, tablets, and mobile phones, will reach 6.2 billion units this year. According to the firm, the COVID-19 pandemic has changed device usage patterns and is ultimately increasing the number of devices that each person has.

According to data from the firm, the 6.2 billion figure is set to rise by a further 3.2% in 2021 reaching 6.4 billion units. The biggest loser as a result of the pandemic is desktop PCs which are expected to decline from 522 million in 2020 to 470 million in 2022, however, the usage of laptops and tablets will increase by 8.8% and 11.7% respectively as they’re preferred by people working from home.

Image via Gartner Commenting on the data, Ranjit Atwal, senior research director at Gartner, said:

In addition to laptops and tablets doing well in 2020, smartphones are expected to see an in-use increase of 1% this year following a decline of 2.6% last year. The analyst said that lower-priced 5G handsets will encourage people to upgrade their smartphone or finally make the shift from a feature phone.

• By Namerah S
      Krafton launches top-down mini-game POBG inside PUBG
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

In honour of April Fool's Day, companies around the globe have celebrated the day with fake products and ridiculous announcements. At first sight, one might think that the announcement of the game titled PlayerOmnom's Battlegrounds, or POBG as most people are calling it, is one such prank.

On the contrary, the creator of the wildly popular battle royale title PlayerUknown's Battlegrounds says so otherwise. Krafton has released an official statement authenticating that POBG is indeed real. PUBG's makers are currently offering players a chance to play POBG, which they are jokingly claiming to be the inspiration for the main game.

Players can enjoy the title in the form of a mini-game within the PC version of PlayerUknown's Battlegrounds. A gag trailer for the newly unveiled game-within-a-game can be seen below:

The mini-game is available for a short period of time. PUBG players can play the top-down shooter through the lobby of the game. PC users will be able to play POBG starting from today until April 12.

Meanwhile, console owners have not been left out of the April Fool's special release. PUBG players on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms will be able to play POBG through the main game's lobby from April 8 through April 19, 2021.

• By Namerah S
      Life is Strange: True Colors and Remastered Collection unveiled for multiple platforms
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

After three years of waiting, the next title in the Life is Strange video game series has been announced. Today at the Square Enix Presents virtual gaming showcase, Life is Strange: True Colors was unveiled. The latest instalment in the franchise has departed away from the format of the previous titles, players will no longer have to wait for episodes of the game to come out to play the full game.

Pre-orders for the upcoming game from game makers Deck Nine Games and Square Enix are now open. Life is Strange: True Colors is set to launch on September 10, 2021. It will be available on PC via Steam, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Stadia.

The blurb for the game reads:

Aside from the newest chapter in Life is Strange, Square Enix revisited some of the old games in the series as well. A remastered collective edition inclusive of Life is Strange and Life is Strange: Before the Storm has been announced. Titled the Life is Strange Remastered Collection, both games in it will feature optimized animations and graphics.

The rebooted collection is due out Autumn 2021 on PC via Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Stadia. You can watch the announcement trailer for the Life is Strange Remastered Collection down below.