Definitive Best PC Manufacturer for 2020

Definitive Best Computer Manufacturer 2020  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

goretsky

Hello, 

For 2020, I thought I'd try something a little new and ask folks to share whom their favorite PC manufacturer is.  If you are a build-it-yourself type of person, be sure to specify Other (specify below) and share your favorite/preferred parts manufacturer.

This poll is multiple choice, so that you can select two (or more) choices.  If you do choose multiple options, please leave a comment with the ones you chose and why.  

Regards, 

Aryeh Goretsky 

• Like 1
  • goretsky pinned this topic
ThaCrip

Other

I tend to build stuff myself as the last time I bought a pre-built desktop was in 2001 (basically I had four pre-built desktops and pretty much two do-it-myself desktops on a personal level). because while I get with the average person they tend to like simple and will likely opt for a pre-built PC with a decent warranty, I prefer building one since you can generally get better quality components for a similar price (possibly better(?)) etc.

but on the two desktops I built for myself personally I have used ASUS motherboards. my current main PC I had since May 2012 although I used the case from my original one I initially built in March 2006 (was my previous main PC) but just swapped the motherboard/CPU/RAM out. in fact, the motherboard/CPU and somewhat RAM I had in the March 2006 PC, after I removed those, they were pretty much retired til about a year or so ago in which I got a hold of a cheap quality PSU (Seasonic) for only $2x.xx and used the old case from a PC I had in 2001 and put that into it which was a solid upgrade for next to no $ (it's a passable backup internet machine) and I figure even if that thing dies (it's got some swollen capacitors, which it was this way when I removed it from my computer in May 2012, but it's still rock stable), I can use the PSU in my main PC if my main PC's PSU ever dies since the PSU in my main pc was from Nov 2012 and is still going which is the longest I have had a PSU to date as it runs pretty much 24/7. it's Seasonic brand as, around the time I got it, I heard Seasonic are one of the more reliable PSU brands in general and, at least given my (limited) experience with PSU's, it's easily the longest lasting one I have had (since typically in the past all of my PSU's generally fail roughly within a year or so after the warranty ends (all previous PSU's I have had usually are 3 year warranty(one was a 2 year)) but currently that Seasonic one is past the warranty (which is a 5 year warranty) by 2 years and 2 months and counting). hell, even the one in my old PC I got roughly a year or so ago is Seasonic as I got a solid buy for only $2x.xx as not long after the person selling it must have caught on and raised their price to $40 for the same one which at that price, it's not bad, but not that great of a deal either as it's about normal price.

but anyways... as for AMD vs Intel, back in March 2006, AMD was still king (which i think it was for at least 5+ years prior to that over Intel in terms of gaming and the like) but shortly after I made that Intel came out with the Core 2 Duo stuff and, to my knowledge they have pretty much been ahead ever since in terms of speed per core and I suspect they are generally more energy efficient to. but, without researching stuff too much, it seems in fairly recent memory AMD is more competitive with Intel as I think you can generally get more CPU cores for less money than a Intel CPU. so it seems like if you do stuff that uses more cores, AMD is probably a safer bet but if not, I suspect Intel is probably the safer choice still. but I plan on milking my May 2012 system (i3-2120 CPU/8GB of RAM/1050 Ti 4GB GPU etc) for as long as I can as this way when I upgrade it will be a rather large upgrade for minimal $.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
rand0m.bullet

If it's for the enterprise then always Dell for work desktops, custom at home.

Mindovermaster

Didn't include Gigabyte...

spy beef

Apple, hands down, been using my MacBook Pro 2014 everyday without any issues for remote desktoping into my Windows machine to do actual work.

• Like 1
adrynalyne
24 minutes ago, spy beef said:

Apple, hands down, been using my MacBook Pro 2014 everyday without any issues for remote desktoping into my Windows machine to do actual work.

Ironic that you gotta remote into Windows to get work done. 😁

• Like 1
trek

Work - always a Lenovo Thinkpad

Personal - Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon and custom built PC

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By anmol112
      Cyberpunk 2077 gets its first major patch, brings stability improvements and bug fixes
      by Anmol Mehrotra

CD Projekt Red (CDPR) has released the first major patch for Cyberpunk 2077. The new update brings the version to 1.1 and fixes a lot of issues. In a tweet, CDPR noted that this update “lays the groundwork” for future patches. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Apart from these, CDPR is also rolling out the following PC-specific changes including a fix for startup crashes on Nvidia GPUs. Here is the full changelog for the update:

Lastly, the update also brings fixes for PlayStation, Stadia, and Xbox specific issues. You can check the changelog for those below:

The new update is rolling out to PCs, PlayStation, Stadia, and Xbox users right now. Last week, CDPR shared the roadmap for Cyberpunk 2077 that included the details of the upcoming patches as well as a free DLC and a free upgrade for next-gen consoles.

• By Namerah S
      Team Ninja details features of Nioh 2 Complete Edition for PC
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Team Ninja launched the action RPG Nioh sequel titled Nioh 2 for the last-gen PlayStation 4 console last year. Two months ago, the video game developer revealed that Nioh 2 would be leaving PlayStation exclusivity by announcing Nioh 2 Complete Edition. The PC version is set to arrive early next month.

Today the game's makers revealed more information about the upcoming PC game on Twitter. Publisher Koei Tecmo shared further details about the features of the upcoming Nioh 2 Complete Edition. A new game trailer highlighting the PC features has also been released.

As per today's announcements, Nioh 2 on PC will support 4K Ultra HD, ultra-wide screens, HDR and a 144Hz screen refresh rate. The game's makers have added complete customizability for mice and keyboards and the game is touted to run at 60fps or 120fps consistently, depending on whether the PC specs are compatible of course.

Nioh 2 Complete Edition for the PC platform is due out February 5, 2021, exclusively on Steam. Pre-orders are currently open and can be placed on Valve's dedicated game store. As a launch promotion, those who buy the Nioh sequel within the initial three weeks after the PC release will get two bonus in-game items, the Sohaya Deserter Garb and Ornate Gold Armour.

• By zikalify
      Canalys: Global PC market saw 25% YoY growth in 4Q20
      by Paul Hill

The analyst firm Canalys has reported that the global PC market saw 25% year-over-year growth in the fourth quarter of 2020. The firm classifies the PC market as desktops, notebooks (including Chromebooks) and workstations but excludes tablets which are sometimes used by some in place of a full-blown PC. Total PC shipments in 2020 grew by 11% reaching 297 million units.

The full-year growth in the PC market is the highest that’s been seen since 2020 and the number of units shipped is the highest seen since 2014. The growth in 2020 was driven by laptops and mobile workstations; they saw a growth rate of 44% compared to 2019. Desktops, on the other hand, were less successful with shipments falling 20% compared to 2019; there were 61.9 million shipments in this segment of the market in 2020.

In the fourth quarter, the biggest PC vendor was Lenovo which shipped 23.1 million units, in second place was HP which shipped 19.1 million units. Dell came in third place shipping more than 15 million units for the first time ever, Apple was in fourth place shipping 7.1 million units and Acer came fifth with 6.1 million units shipped. Other companies shipped a combined 18.9 million units in the fourth quarter.

According to Canalys Research Director Rushabh Doshi, PCs have been at the centre of the digital transformation that the world has gone through in the past year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Doshi said that going forward it’s going to be “extremely difficult” to write off PCs and that it’s likely that they’re here to stay.

• By goretsky
      Hello, 

This is the 2021 poll for best free anti-virus (aka anti-malware aka internet security aka endpoint security) security software.  

The poll for paid products is located here.  The poll for 2020's best free antivirus is located here. 

If your choice is not listed, please choose "other" and reply below with its name. 

This year the poll is multiple choice, so that you can select two (or more) choices.  If you do choose multiple options, please leave a comment with the ones you chose and why.  

Regards, 

Aryeh Goretsky 
    • By Usman Khan Lodhi
      Tesla manufactured more than half a million cars in 2020
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

Tesla revealed today that it manufactured 509,737 cars this year, meeting its goal of producing half a million cars in 2020. The automaker made a total of 499,550 deliveries (99.91 percent) throughout the year, and there's a chance that this number could be higher, as Tesla mentioned the possibility of the number varying by up to 0.5 percent or more due to its "slightly conservative" method of counting deliveries. A car is only counted as delivered after it has been delivered to the owner and all paperwork is correct.

A Twitter user uploaded a snippet of an interview that Elon Musk, Tesla's CEO, gave in 2014 in which he was asked how the Nevada Gigafactory will help the automaker ramp up production.

Tesla's Shanghai plant has begun production of Model Y cars and its deliveries are expected to begin shortly.

2020 was an eventful year for Tesla. The automaker manufactured its 1,000,000th electric car in March, and its factories in California and Shanghai had to be closed for several weeks to curb the spread of COVID-19. Musk threatened to pull the factory out of California and defied lockdown orders. Tesla also overtook Toyota to become the world's most valuable automaker in 2020.