Which Samsung SSD - QVO or EVO? (Desktop PC)

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Doesn't that mean it IS on a OS drive?? Think you messed up your logic there.

Huh? Where else would the OS be? On the HDD? Another SSD? (Which also implies 1TB wasn’t enough) He said, etc. Does etc exclude OS?

On 1/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, Mockingbird said:

You should do some research.

Samsung SSDs are really overpriced.

Samsung is charging a lot because of its name alone.

There are other vendors that offer comparable performance, yet are cheaper.

in Canada samsung qvo are very cheap. The only significantly cheaper ssd are by unknown Chinese brands.

Ever since I got my first ssd in 2016,  I've always kept my OS on the 250GB SSD for my Desktop,  (same for Laptop,  more have to with Laptop as OS M.2 ssd is only 128gb) and any games I installed or extra software are on the 1TB Hard disk drive.      Same for Desktop config,   OS, and a couple small programs on 250gb SSD,  and Rest of Software on the Internal 1tb hard drive.

Both backed up weekly,  same for Laptop

So far this system working well

Got first Samsung SSD for Desktop not  long ago,  next to afford 512gb m.2 for Laptop or 250gb m.2  not sure which yet

Edited by bikeman25

16 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

He said, etc. Does etc exclude OS?

I did mean the 1TB SSD for the 5+ games INCLUDES the general OS and programs also on that same SSD.

I still maintain 1TB is ample storage for games, especially as long as a person is not playing many games all at once which I would figure if one installs say roughly 5 games on that 1TB hard drive at roughly 100GB each, or figure 150GB MAX each game(I would say likely less though), that comes out to between 500-750GB of games (there is also a good chance it would be less than 500GB for 5 games to) which should still leave enough space for the OS and general programs with enough free space left to keep things running half way decently without the SSD becoming too full.

17 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I’ve moved my large games to an HDD. It’s viable, but it sucks in comparison to SSD.

At least on the limited testing of game loading I did, mainly on Mafia III (2016) which is about 40GB in size, I would not say they are worlds apart as I suspect it mostly boils down to if there are a bunch of little files to load etc. because booting the general OS, the SSD is clearly noticeable over the regular hard drives I used in the past.

like loading Mafia III from a 5TB HGST 7200rpm HDD and on my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD I don't notice any significant difference on that game (without measuring, they seem similar on load times off the top of my head), like to where it's not obvious to me there is a clear gap. maybe there are some games where the difference is clearly noticeable and I am not sure if my SATA II motherboard connection handicaps the SSD since I know the SATA II connection itself is capped to about 300MB/s even though I think your typical modern SATA based SSD is capable of about 500MB/s (maybe a bit more) as I think the SATA III connection's max is about 600MB/s. but from what I gather it's usually loading of a bunch of smaller files is where the SSD really shines over regular hard drives, like booting the OS itself. because from what I have heard there is basically little to no real world difference with a modern SSD on a SATA II or SATA III connection (at least for most uses). so unless one is say transferring larger files between SSD's, that SATA III won't be much, if any, of a advantage over SATA II.

17 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

100 bucks extra is worth the premium if performance and space are concerns. It wasn’t that long ago that it was far more than 100 bucks difference. 

I could see some thinking that way and you got a legit point about prices coming down. but personally I would rather save the $100 and put it towards something else (like GPU or CPU, especially since we are talking gaming here) as it's not like 1TB SSD is anywhere near a limited amount of storage space for games. if we were talking 500GB vs 1TB I could see one making a much stronger case against the smaller drive in favor of the bigger one when it comes to games, but when your comparing 1TB vs 2TB, the difference is not nearly as profound. because if games were like 300GB each, then it might be a whole different ball game (to where one could make a much stronger case for opting for the 2TB over the 1TB) but it seems like 150GB is more of the MAX for the vast majority of games right now(?), like say Red Dead Redemption 2, with around 100GB being more of a typical higher side(?).

but personally... since 1TB SSD's are roughly $100(maybe $120 or so) and 2TB are floating around $200, I think the 2TB would be more appealing (like worth considering) if it was say $150-ish as it would be a lot easier to justify it at that price especially if one wants to install a boatload of games. but when it's about twice the price of a 1TB, it's not enough of a improvement to justify that much of a $ difference if you ask me. but I think that's why many would say the 500GB or 1TB are the sweet-spot with price/storage space combo as after the 1TB, prices shoot up quite a bit to where the price is no longer that reasonable. sure, 2TB SSD's ain't super expensive, but they are not exactly all that affordable either especially when considering 1TB is ample space for just about anything one needs to load up quickly and one could put that $100 towards a better GPU etc.

but I guess a lot of this boils down to whether one favors efficiency when it comes to spending ones $ on computer hardware or if they are that type to where as long as it's not a insane amount of money they tend to go for more than what's generally needed and spend the extra $ without much concern.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.