PC reboots while playing games

2 minutes ago, desti20 said:

Do you think is something to do with CPU or more likely GPU ?

CPU most likely. I can’t imagine the GPU would cause a complete system shut down, though I could be wrong. The GPU would more likely to blue screen. 

Edit: what do those temperatures look like?

Just now, sinetheo said:

A reboot always means a power issue like a short or bad VRM on your board. They are expensive and difficult to fix. I had a bad board which shorted lots of power supplies and a bad battery packup which ruined another power supply. Power Supply is likely culprit. If the problem repeats after blowing $150 from an expensive power supply it is likely a bad cap or VRM on your motherboard

Not always, no. It sometimes shuts down to prevent a heat overload.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

CPU most likely. I can’t imagine the GPU would cause a complete system shut down, though I could be wrong. The GPU would more likely to blue screen. 

Yeah, I agree to that. Or a blank screen.

• Like 2

Yeah now rebooted like 5 times now, no error at all. Nothing is overclocked and gpu was set to minimum mhz. I though my system board is quite decent, but i will get it replaced on amazon so hopefully it will fix it if not i will try the PSU. 

3 hours ago, desti20 said:

I used the ASUS GPU tweakll and optimised the GPU overclocking, now i can play League of legends and my PC doesn't reboot, but when i am  trying to play more demanding game ( total war Warhammer 2) the game just shuts down after playing for a while, but PC doesn't reboot anymore. 

IT sounds like a power issue... but again try to set everything to default in your BIOS as Jim recommended above.. do not overclock anything... as everything your overclock will draw extra power from your PSU

More intense games run the GPU fully utilized at 100% which draws more power from the PSU... It might be that you are pushing the PSU to he limit and if you have small power fluctuation in the power it will reset your PC.

You can doublecheck your build from a site like https://pcpartpicker.com/ it will tell you if you have compatible PSU with the hardware you have installed in your PC.

Good Luck!

34 minutes ago, desti20 said:

Yeah now rebooted like 5 times now, no error at all. Nothing is overclocked and gpu was set to minimum mhz. I though my system board is quite decent, but i will get it replaced on amazon so hopefully it will fix it if not i will try the PSU. 

Ah I just saw this... that you dont have anything overclocked.... calculate the sum of the power requirements of all hardware in your PC plus add 50% if your PSU is not Gold rated and that will give you a goo estamate of the power requirements and if your PSU is good enough to handle the work...

Also make sure you dont have any additional USB devices plugged into your PC, like external HDs or Sound cards... as that will also draw  more power...

30 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

IT sounds like a power issue... but again try to set everything to default in your BIOS as Jim recommended above.. do not overclock anything... as everything your overclock will draw extra power from your PSU

More intense games run the GPU fully utilized at 100% which draws more power from the PSU... It might be that you are pushing the PSU to he limit and if you have small power fluctuation in the power it will reset your PC.

You can doublecheck your build from a site like https://pcpartpicker.com/ it will tell you if you have compatible PSU with the hardware you have installed in your PC.

Good Luck!

It shows that the estimated wat usage is 345 without the 8 RGB strips that i have connected to the  motherboard via corsair commander pro. My current psu is 750w so i think i am covered ?. Bios is set to default, i set the graphic card to minimum mhz. 

10 minutes ago, desti20 said:

It shows that the estimated wat usage is 345 without the 8 RGB strips that i have connected to the  motherboard via corsair commander pro. My current psu is 750w so i think i am covered ?. Bios is set to default, i set the graphic card to minimum mhz. 

You should try and run some benchmark tests.. There are RAM benchmarks, HD, benchmarks, and Gaming Benchmarks... stressing each of those components separately might tell you where the issue occurs... Also try uninstalling the Video Card drivers, shutdown the PC, unplug the video cardt from the motherboard, power cycle the PC and then re-insert the Video Card and install the drivers again.

Windows XP had issues at assigning the conflicting resources for the Hardware.. Win 10 is handling that better but you might as well write that off...

1 minute ago, Euphoria said:

You should try and run some benchmark tests.. There are RAM benchmarks, HD, benchmarks, and Gaming Benchmarks... stressing each of those components separately might tell you where the issue occurs... Also try uninstalling the Video Card drivers, shutdown the PC, unplug the video cardt from the motherboard, power cycle the PC and then re-insert the Video Card and install the drivers again.

Windows XP had issues at assigning the conflicting resources for the Hardware.. Win 10 is handling that better but you might as well write that off...

I did the fresh windows 10 installation this morning but it didn't help. Should i still do what you suggested ? 

1 minute ago, desti20 said:

I did the fresh windows 10 installation this morning but it didn't help. Should i still do what you suggested ? 

Well it wont hurt trying.... reboot might also happen if there is some fault with the RAm especially of its overclocked... but if is not then not sure what else it might be... and your PC reboots with every game you play?

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

That’s gotta be heat related. It’s bypassing the OS.

Like adrynalyne said, maybe Heat Related.

I've had the same problem long ago, and a few other people I know have over the years as well. The prpblem was always the same. CPU gets too hot, system reboots to prevent CPU from burning out. The same thing that worked for me and the others, was take the side panel off off your PC, and run a table fan blowing on to the hardware. Then try the games to see if same problem happens.

Also doing this dropped the temperature on my hard drives about 20 degrees, and my drives have lasted a whole lot longer than they used to before I blow a fan into my computer

5 minutes ago, Ash said:

I've had the same problem long ago, and a few other people I know have over the years as well. The prpblem was always the same. CPU gets too hot, system reboots to prevent CPU from burning out. The same thing that worked for me and the others, was take the side panel off off your PC, and run a table fan blowing on to the hardware. Then try the games to see if same problem happens.

Also doing this dropped the temperature on my hard drives about 20 degrees, and my drives have lasted a whole lot longer than they used to before I blow a fan into my computer

He can run Prime95 benchmark to CPU stress test and see if reboot is due to CPU temperature... if it doesnt restart then it is not...

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I skimmed and didnt see this mentioned, but, turn off the automatic restart feature and see if you can get an error that we can work with.

Annotation 2020-01-04 122302.png

Also make sure the computer has a  pagefile and it's at least the size of the RAM +1MB. If you have the pagefile turned off, it won't write a dump. 

1 hour ago, Ash said:

I have a water cooling and my CPU doesn't go over 55c... Also i have 4 fans in my case and my m.2 ssd drive won't cool down with a fan ! lol 

1 hour ago, xrobwx71 said:

Also make sure the computer has a  pagefile and it's at least the size of the RAM +1MB. If you have the pagefile turned off, it won't write a dump. 

It has been done, I unticked the reboot option but it still reboots. 

2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

Well it wont hurt trying.... reboot might also happen if there is some fault with the RAm especially of its overclocked... but if is not then not sure what else it might be... and your PC reboots with every game you play?

I only play two games LOL and Total war, and it does reboots even on lol. 

5 minutes ago, desti20 said:

I only play two games LOL and Total war, and it does reboots even on lol. 

Like said many times, try stress testing everything to make sure. If this comes up again, well... we told you...

Well, i though is the graphic cards, because my house mate let me use his graphic card for 2 days, my pc was running fine without any issues, until now... I had my PC on for whole day today -+/- 12 h  and it rebooted twice now. The spare graphic card is also gtx 1060 but msi version with only 2 fans, so i am assuming it requires bit less power. But what is interesting is that i ran the same test right after replacing the graphic card and it did not reboot for 2 hours on stress test so i assumed it will be fine... I got a spare PSU now so i will test the old card with new psu, hopefully gpu is fine cuse warranty ended a month ago ! 

4 minutes ago, desti20 said:

Well, i though is the graphic cards, because my house mate let me use his graphic card for 2 days, my pc was running fine without any issues, until now... I had my PC on for whole day today -+/- 12 h  and it rebooted twice now. The spare graphic card is also gtx 1060 but msi version with only 2 fans, so i am assuming it requires bit less power. But what is interesting is that i ran the same test right after replacing the graphic card and it did not reboot for 2 hours on stress test so i assumed it will be fine... I got a spare PSU now so i will test the old card with new psu, hopefully gpu is fine cuse warranty ended a month ago ! 

Fans use the lowest amount of power. I think it uses the power from PCI-e, not the 6-pin power.

What stress test were you running? Did you watch temperatures?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Fans use the lowest amount of power. I think it uses the power from PCI-e, not the 6-pin power.

What stress test were you running? Did you watch temperatures?

Sorry,  what i was trying to say is that the Asus GTX 1060 is way bigger than MSI one, and requires 6 pin when MSI only needs 4 pin so based on that I assumed that GPU from asus needs more power lol, correct me if i am wrong.

I am using 3d mark and program called OCCT5 - it does have cpu stress test, gpu stress test and power test - combined cpu, gpu and 3d test to generate max load on most power hungry components testing psu and motherboard. 

GPU max temp was 68 on 3d and power test, with fans on 45% speed.

CPU max temp was 68 with fans on 55% speed. 

With old PSU and  old GPU - PC reboots on power test and 3d test. 

with old PSU and new GPU - Passed all the tests 3d and power test, but after 2 days pc rebooted while playing game, now fails on power and 3d test. 

with new PSU and new GPU - passed all the tests 3d, cpu stress test and power test. 

Now i am testing old GPU with new PSU. I will let you know what the outcome is guys, if anyone wants to know :)

Thanks a lot for your support for far. 

Couldn't updated last post so...

Update: Testes old GPU with new PSU so far passed 3d mark and power test. So it looks like it must be PSU, i am on the phone to corsair and after 1h in que, they just hang up saying there is no agents available to take my call...

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.