• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Update issue

Bruinator    46

Hi, For some reason I have updates ready when I check for them. For some reason, there is one that is "initializing" only (staying in that state and doing nothing else. There are other updates ready to be installed waiting on this one. How can I remove this one update so the others can install?  Thx

https://imgur.com/JeJTlG0

Bruinator    46

Wow, not a single response.  thx

CyberChief    6

I'm not sure the name of the file that Microsoft uses to block or cancel update. I know that if you do a search for the update blocker you may have some luck there. I used it long ago to do the same thing you are needing. That's the extent of the help I can provide, sorry for the limited assistance.

• Thanks 1

Bruinator    46

Hi, I am having issues with my desktop.I was trying to use windows update feature and it was stuck on the following file:

I posted the issue on a pc forum and they suggested I run the following scripT:

Code:

Function Reset-WindowsUpdate
{
<#
    .SYNOPSIS
        Cleans-up Windows Update containers and resets all dependent services to their default state.

.DESCRIPTION
        Stops all Windows Update dependent services and cleans all directories used by Windows Update.
        Regenerates the default file structure that Windows requires for proper Windows Update Service access and authentication.
        Returns all dependent files, discretionary access control lists and permissions back to their default state.
        Restarts all Windows Update dependent services that were stopped at the beginning of the reset process.
        Allows for the system to be rebooted after the reset to clear cache storage reserves and apply the default service discretionary access control lists.

.EXAMPLE
        PS C:\> Reset-WindowsUpdate

.NOTES
        Does not reset any Group Policy settings applied in the registry.
        Works with the latest Windows 10 builds and does not revert custom policy settings set in Group Policy.
        It is highly recommended to restart the system after running the reset to clear additional system cache reserves and to apply the default service discretionary access control lists DACLs.
#>

[CmdletBinding(ConfirmImpact = 'High',
                   SupportsShouldProcess = $true)]
    Param ()

Begin
    {
        If (!([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole]::Administrator))
        {
            Write-Warning "This script requires elevated access. Please relaunch Reset-WindowsUpdate with administrator permissions."; Break
        }
        $DefaultErrorAction = $ErrorActionPreference
        $DefaultProgressPreference = $ProgressPreference
        $ErrorActionPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'
        $ProgressPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'
        $Services = @('BITS', 'wuauserv', 'AppIDSvc', 'CryptSvc')
        $ResetItem = [Ordered]@{
            PathPending    = "$Env:SystemRoot\WinSxS\pending.xml"; NewPending = 'pending.xml.bak'
            PathSoftware   = "$Env:SystemRoot\SoftwareDistribution"; NewSoftware = 'SoftwareDistribution.bak'
            PathCatroot    = "$Env:SystemRoot\System32\Catroot2"; NewCatroot = 'Catroot2.bak'
            PathUpdateLog  = "$Env:SystemRoot\WindowsUpdate.log"; NewUpdateLog = 'WindowsUpdate.log.bak'
        }
    }
    Process
    {
        If ($PSCmdlet.ShouldProcess("$Env:COMPUTERNAME, Reset Windows Update."))
        {
            Clear-Host

Write-Host "Stopping the BITS, wuauserv, AppIDSvc and CryptSvc Services..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            ForEach ($Service In $Services)
            {
                If ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -ne 'Stopped')
                {
                    $Retries = 5
                    While ($Retries -gt 0 -and ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -ne 'Stopped'))
                    {
                        Stop-Service -Name $Service -Force -Confirm:$false
                        Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
                        If ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -eq 'Running') { Start-Sleep -Seconds 5 }
                        $Retries--
                    }
                }
            }
            Write-Host "[Complete]" -ForegroundColor Cyan

Write-Host "Resetting Update Containers..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            @("$Env:ALLUSERSPROFILE\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat", "$Env:ALLUSERSPROFILE\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat", "$Env:SystemRoot\WinSxS\pending.xml.bak",
                "$Env:SystemRoot\SoftwareDistribution.bak", "$Env:SystemRoot\System32\Catroot2.bak", "$Env:SystemRoot\WindowsUpdate.log.bak", (Get-ChildItem -Path $Env:SystemRoot\Logs\WindowsUpdate\* -Force)) | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force

(Get-Item -Path @("$Env:SystemRoot\SoftwareDistribution", "$Env:SystemRoot\System32\Catroot2", "$Env:SystemRoot\WindowsUpdate.log") -Force).Attributes = 0x80

If (Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | Where-Object -Property State -EQ Pending)
            {
                Start-Process -FilePath TAKEOWN -ArgumentList ('/F "{0}" /A' -f $ResetItem.PathPending) -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait
                (Get-Item -Path $ResetItem.PathPending -Force).Attributes = 0x80
                Rename-Container -Path $ResetItem.PathPending -NewName $ResetItem.NewPending
            }
            Rename-Container -Path $ResetItem.PathSoftware -NewName $ResetItem.NewSoftware
            Rename-Container -Path $ResetItem.PathCatroot -NewName $ResetItem.NewCatroot
            Rename-Container -Path $ResetItem.PathUpdateLog -NewName $ResetItem.NewUpdateLog

Write-Host "Resetting the wuauserv and BITS Discretionary Access Control Lists..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            Start-Process -FilePath SC.EXE -ArgumentList ('SDSET wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)') -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait
            Start-Process -FilePath SC.EXE -ArgumentList ('SDSET BITS D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)') -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait

Write-Host "Re-registering Update Modules..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            @('atl.dll', 'urlmon.dll', 'mshtml.dll', 'shdocvw.dll', 'browseui.dll', 'jscript.dll', 'vbscript.dll', 'scrrun.dll', 'msxml.dll', 'msxml3.dll', 'msxml6.dll', 'actxprxy.dll', 'softpub.dll', 'wintrust.dll',
                'dssenh.dll', 'rsaenh.dll', 'gpkcsp.dll', 'sccbase.dll', 'slbcsp.dll', 'cryptdlg.dll', 'oleaut32.dll', 'ole32.dll', 'shell32.dll', 'initpki.dll', 'wuapi.dll', 'wuaueng.dll', 'wuaueng1.dll', 'wucltui.dll',
                'wups.dll', 'wups2.dll', 'wuweb.dll', 'qmgr.dll', 'qmgrprxy.dll', 'wucltux.dll', 'muweb.dll', 'wuwebv.dll', 'wudriver.dll') | ForEach-Object -Process { Start-Process -FilePath REGSVR32 -ArgumentList ('/S "{0}"' -f "$Env:SystemRoot\System32\$($_)") -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait }

Write-Host "Removing Windows Update Client Settings..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            Remove-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" -Name AccountDomainSid -Force
            Remove-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" -Name PingID -Force
            Remove-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" -Name SusClientId -Force

Write-Host "Restarting the BITS, wuauserv, AppIDSvc and CryptSvc Services..." -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Cyan
            Start-Process -FilePath NETSH -ArgumentList ('WINSOCK RESET') -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait
            Start-Process -FilePath NETSH -ArgumentList ('WINHTTP RESET PROXY') -WindowStyle Hidden -Wait
            Clear-DnsClientCache
            Get-BitsTransfer | Remove-BitsTransfer
            Get-Service -Name BITS, wuauserv, AppIDSvc, CryptSvc, DcomLaunch, TrustedInstaller | Where-Object -Property StartType -NE Automatic | Set-Service -StartupType Automatic
            ForEach ($Service In $Services)
            {
                If ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -ne 'Running')
                {
                    $Retries = 5
                    While ($Retries -gt 0 -and ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -ne 'Running'))
                    {
                        Start-Service -Name $Service -Confirm:$false
                        Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
                        If ((Get-Service -Name $Service).Status -ne 'Running') { Start-Sleep -Seconds 5 }
                        $Retries--
                    }
                }
            }

$Wshell = New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell
            $Popup = $Wshell.Popup("Restart $($Env:COMPUTERNAME) to complete the reset?", 10, "Restart Device", 4 + 32)
            If ($Popup -eq 6)
            {
                $Restart = 15
                ForEach ($Count In (1 .. $Restart))
                {
                    Write-Progress -Id 1 -Activity "Restarting $($Env:COMPUTERNAME) to complete the reset" -Status "Restarting in $Restart seconds, $($Restart - $Count) seconds left" -PercentComplete (($Count / $Restart) * 100)
                    Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
                }
                Restart-Computer
            }
        }
    }
    End
    {
        [void][Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal]::ReleaseComObject($WShell)
        $ErrorActionPreference = $DefaultErrorAction
        $ProgressPreference = $DefaultProgressPreference
    }
}

Function Rename-Container
{
    [CmdletBinding()]
    Param
    (
        [string]$Path,
        [string]$NewName
    )

If (Test-Path -Path $Path) { Rename-Item -Path $Path -NewName $NewName -Force }
/code

to [bold]copy this entire function, and paste it in PowerShell ISE and run it with Reset-WindowsUpdate [/bold]

which I did. When I ran it, I was getting error messages of:

WARNING: Waiting for service 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)' to stop...
WARNING: Waiting for service 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)' to stop...
WARNING: Waiting for service 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)' to s

I tried killing this message by doing a CTRL and Z key to end it but it didnt so I rebooted my pc. When it booted up, I was getting multiple Win powershell ISE windows opening up which hung my PC
 so I tried restoring with a restore point but that didnt work. I then tried to do a restore using acronis true image 2019 but that didnt work (i dont remember the error i was getting). When I 
use this in the past I never have issues with it as it always works.

I installied a fresh copy of windows 10, set up worked fine but when I tried putting short cuts such as This PC and NETWORK stayed on the desktop for a few seconds the screen then flickered and
returned without the recycle bin, this PC and network icons on it. I tried using the net but that didnt work as well.

Now I am at a loss on what it could be. What do you guys think it could be?

Thx

Bruinator    46

I ran memtest86 without an errors. It went through 4 passes and ended normally.  I installed win 10 on pc again. It got to the point where i got to my desktop screen and I downloaded chrome on it and I went to set my home page to google and the screen flickered/ blinked and neither icon was on my desktop. The only thing that appeared was the clock in my system tray and taskbar icons. When I clicked on one of the taskbar icons they stayed minimized and the wouldn't maximize.

What could the issue be? Ideas plz.

thx

+virtorio    3,270

Nothing in the script should have caused any issues. Hard to know what the issue is, maybe a problem your storage. What kind of drive do you have? 

Bruinator    46
7 minutes ago, virtorio said:

Nothing in the script should have caused any issues. Hard to know what the issue is, maybe a problem your storage. What kind of drive do you have? 

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM) from amazon. Bought in april 2016.

+virtorio    3,270

So if you restart, what happens? Does the same issue re-occur if you try installing Chrome again? 

Try downloading Samsung Magician (from here https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/) and see if that offers any insights. 

Bruinator    46
Posted (edited)

Tried a different SSD, same type and model, and it worked ok for a few seconds and a message popped up that I didnt see earlier which said plz install the display settings or something like that. Could it be a bad driver for display that is causing this? Bad graphics card?

Edited by Bruinator

goretsky    1,169

Hello,

When I have had issues with updates stuck in an indeterminate pending mode in the past, I have usually been able to get around it by rebooting the computer.  This is because the hang up is sometimes due to a pending file operation upon reboot that is acting as a blocker for applying the patch.  Normally, that should never happen but, well, sometimes it appears to.

If the reboot is not effective, the next thing I would try is uninstalling the anti-virus/anti-malware/internet security/endpoint protection/{insert marketing term du jour} software, but making sure you first have its configuration saved, and have the latest version available for reinstallation once you are done.  Go ahead, uninstall it, reboot, re-run the Windows Update and if everything applies, reboot again, and then reinstall the security software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Bruinator    46
12 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

When I have had issues with updates stuck in an indeterminate pending mode in the past, I have usually been able to get around it by rebooting the computer.  This is because the hang up is sometimes due to a pending file operation upon reboot that is acting as a blocker for applying the patch.  Normally, that should never happen but, well, sometimes it appears to.

If the reboot is not effective, the next thing I would try is uninstalling the anti-virus/anti-malware/internet security/endpoint protection/{insert marketing term du jour} software, but making sure you first have its configuration saved, and have the latest version available for reinstallation once you are done.  Go ahead, uninstall it, reboot, re-run the Windows Update and if everything applies, reboot again, and then reinstall the security software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, but what does that have to do with the issue I am currently having? I dont know if it has to do with using rufus to make the win 10 iso bootable, I am trying iso to usb software now to see if that is the issue. When I select the boot device, I normally only see usb: lexar usb flash drive and able to use it without issue but when i do now it says so bootable OS. When I use the last option UEFI: lexar usb flash drive partition 1 it loads win 10 but with flicker issue I am having happens. Plz see attached pic to see what I mean.  https://imgur.com/zSLfCbQ   Does something in BIOS need to be reset? I have no idea?

Dysphoria    2,119
16 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Yes, but what does that have to do with the issue I am currently having? I dont know if it has to do with using rufus to make the win 10 iso bootable, I am trying iso to usb software now to see if that is the issue. When I select the boot device, I normally only see usb: lexar usb flash drive and able to use it without issue but when i do now it says so bootable OS. When I use the last option UEFI: lexar usb flash drive partition 1 it loads win 10 but with flicker issue I am having happens. Plz see attached pic to see what I mean.  https://imgur.com/zSLfCbQ   Does something in BIOS need to be reset? I have no idea?

I ran into this issue a while ago.... I think I did something to reset the windows update.... a quick google search showed this:https://windowsreport.com/windows-update-problems-fix-windows-update-reset-script/

there are manual steps of how to create the reset script.

There was also another thread on this topic that might be helpful: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2140879-pending-install-windows-10

Good luck!

Dysphoria    2,119
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Hi, I am having issues with my desktop.I was trying to use windows update feature and it was stuck on the following file:

I posted the issue on a pc forum and they suggested I run the following scripT:

Code:

I just saw you used another reset script... what I remember was to delete the downloaded files from the software update folder and to force windows to download them and install them again... I’ll try and look into this again later today and see if I can back track my steps ...

• Thanks 1

Bruinator    46
8 hours ago, Euphoria said:

I ran into this issue a while ago.... I think I did something to reset the windows update.... a quick google search showed this:https://windowsreport.com/windows-update-problems-fix-windows-update-reset-script/

there are manual steps of how to create the reset script.

There was also another thread on this topic that might be helpful: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2140879-pending-install-windows-10

Good luck!

Does this have anything to do with my desktop changing from having the recycle bin and normal system tray icons from appearing to my screen flickering/blinking for a second or two and changing to having nothing on the desktop and just the system clock in the system after reinstalling windows 10?

thx

Dysphoria    2,119
3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Does this have anything to do with my desktop changing from having the recycle bin and normal system tray icons from appearing to my screen flickering/blinking for a second or two and changing to having nothing on the desktop and just the system clock in the system after reinstalling windows 10?

thx

No, it was related to your opening post

Bruinator    46
Posted (edited)

ok, this current issue is solved now until MS was asked to remove local login pw from my pc and now I am locked out waiting for them to fix this issue... oh joy. The just had to follow these instructions https://www.pcworld.com/article/3100057/how-to-remove-your-login-password-from-windows-10.html  to do it which I could of done myself but since they were already remoted in to my pc figuring they could do it quickly but that was a mistake.

Vince800    311

Microsoft asked you to remove the admin password? How did you get in touch with Microsoft?

sc302    1,791

can you start from scratch?  It sounds like it might be a clean install anyway.   

Use the windows 10 usb creation tool from microsoft to create any windows 10 install media (iso, cd/dvd, usb)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Circaflex    3,613
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Bruinator said:

I dont know if it has to do with using rufus to make the win 10 iso bootable,

Rufus is not your issue.

Download the Windows 10 Tool from Microsoft and run it, the application should see the feature update, download and install it for you.

Bruinator    46

close this thread plz as I am all set.:)

sc302    1,791
28 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

close this thread plz as I am all set.:)

per your request, it is locked up.

• Like 1