Raspberry Pi Servers? what do you use it for?

Ive just googled a video on what a Pi-Hole is (personally I thought it was something that happened in airport restrooms) but my mind is sufficiently blown! That might be a nice little investment :)

• Haha 1

Raspberry Pi 4, runs PiVPN, UniFi controller. PiHole. Happy with it. More speedier than I thought it’d ever be.

Slowly decommissioning my power thirsty ESX server in favor of the Pi. 

One of mine is my stratum 1 ntp server for my network, and the public via ntp pool on ipv4 and ipv6.  Another is pihole, another I just mess around with and my zero I keep meaning to setup for my ups monitoring in my av cab, but haven't gotten around to it yet ;)

49 minutes ago, neufuse said:

do you use it with the OpenVPN protocol to connect to a external VPN? if so how does it work?

Ya, it's pretty fantastically awesome. It's stupid simple to setup if you are technology bent.

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

One of mine was sat running Homebridge until recently

Home bridge? is that like automation linking?

I looked as Hass.io but never got too far with it

1 hour ago, shockz said:

Raspberry Pi 4, runs PiVPN, UniFi controller. PiHole. Happy with it. More speedier than I thought it’d ever be.

Slowly decommissioning my power thirsty ESX server in favor of the Pi. 

are you running those services all on one device? I know this little thing can do a good bit but never pushed it too far with multiple services yet

8 minutes ago, neufuse said:

are you running those services all on one device? I know this little thing can do a good bit but never pushed it too far with multiple services yet

Yep, right now it's just one device. I still have my web server on my ESX host, but i'm planning on migrating it to the Pi sometime next month (it's not a complex site, basically just a simple page saying something exists here). 

I have a mini NAS on one using OpenMediaVault and an external HDD. This gives me easy access to frequently used files and also serves as the backup for all the VM's running on my XCP-NG host. A second Pi runs RetroPie. Third one is for messing around with new projects. :)

I have one running just pihole (rp2) and another that has been running a node.js server for development (rp3). 

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.