All usb ports stopped working

So i have an older alienware desktop running windows 10. I left it on over night to run system updates and woke up to my keyboard and mouse not glowing. So i restarted it to make sure it wasn't just glitching out and realized i can't use any usb devices, tried multiple ports, several devices. Can't even charge a phone through the usb ports. Any suggestions on how to fix, can't really access my pc without keyboard working.

59 minutes ago, beachhobo said:

So i have an older alienware desktop running windows 10. I left it on over night to run system updates and woke up to my keyboard and mouse not glowing. So i restarted it to make sure it wasn't just glitching out and realized i can't use any usb devices, tried multiple ports, several devices. Can't even charge a phone through the usb ports. Any suggestions on how to fix, can't really access my pc without keyboard working.

Try restarting the PC. You never mentioned that.

Updates should cause it to restart.

Did you try another keyboard or mouse you have around? And/or try your current keyboard in another computer, in that it works, not fried.

reboot to safe mode F8 and uninstall all usb drivers, disconnect from internet  and reboot to normal

12 minutes ago, Marujan said:

reboot to safe mode F8 and uninstall all usb drivers, disconnect from internet  and reboot to normal

Well, if his keyboard doesn't work, how is he supposed to click F8?

On 1/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Well, if his keyboard doesn't work, how is he supposed to click F8?

please check google what is BIOS, IO, USB and how to reboot to safe mode with F8

• Facepalm 2

26 minutes ago, Marujan said:

please check google what is BIOS, IO, USB and how to reboot to safe mode with F8

You knid of missed the point. We currently do not know, but from what he said, his keyboard isn't working.

If his keyboard does not work after said reset, how can he type F8?

On 1/12/2020 at 12:11 PM, Mindovermaster said:

You knid of missed the point. We currently do not know, but from what he said, his keyboard isn't working.

If his keyboard does not work after said reset, how can he type F8?

keyboard is physical device, its always working

turn off power, turn it back

start hardly pressing F8 and choose safe mode

delete usb drivers and reboot

ps:take $5 usb walmart keybord if cant find F8 at yr keyboards

• Facepalm 3

4 minutes ago, Marujan said:

keyboard is physical device, its always working

turn off power, turn it back

start hardly pressing F8 and choose safe mode

delete usb drivers and reboot

ps:take $5 usb walmart keybord if cant find F8 at yr keyboards

"It always works"? Everything with a wire can break.

What I am saying "HIS" keyboard may not work. I am not talking of a spare he might have. We do not know that he has a spare.

I have an old keyboard that fried years ago. I can type F8 all day. It doesn't do anything...

What we do not know, you can't say something that isn't spoken.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:35 PM, beachhobo said:

Once you've tested the kit works on another comp, if your kit is all USB you might need to add USB ports via an expansion card.  Try the ports on the front of the case first.

USB ports often use a shared fuse and if it goes you can lose a block of four ports easy.

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.