TN or IPS display

I found two interesting notebooks from MSI (MSI GL73 9SD-282NL vs. MSI GL75 9SD-009NL).

One has a TN-panel and the other IPS.

The TN is priced 1349 EUR and the IPS 1499 1599  EUR (so a difference of 18.5 11%).

Specs are alike (the IPS-one has a 7200 RPM over a 5400 RPM secondary HDD); GeForce GTX 1660 Ti,  i7-9750H, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB Solid State Disk (M.2) etc.

Is this price difference justifiable? 

EDIT:

My bad... prices are 1349 vs 1599 (so almost 19% difference).

Edited by kiddingguy

I wouldn't take a free laptop with a TN panel. 

I'll assume with the TN panel has a higher response time, but in terms of actually looking at the display and using it as a computer, yes the price increase is justifiable. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, virtorio said:

I wouldn't take a free laptop with a TN panel. 

I'll assume with the TN panel has a higher response time, but in terms of actually looking at the display and using it as a computer, yes the price increase is justifiable. 

Sorry... price is 1349 vs. 1599. Is this still to be justified according to you?

Are you going to be gaming with this laptop - that will be its primary function?  Are you going to want to show stuff to people that are not right in front of the panel head on?

TN panels have great response time - but the viewing angle is not as good VA or IPS panels.. All comes down to what exactly your plans for the laptop are to be honest.

If you will always be just viewing the display from the correct angle then its prob won't be an issue for you.

7 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Are you going to be gaming with this laptop - that will be its primary function?  Are you going to want to show stuff to people that are not right in front of the panel head on?

TN panels have great response time - but the viewing angle is not as good VA or IPS panels.. All comes down to what exactly your plans for the laptop are to be honest.

If you will always be just viewing the display from the correct angle then its prob won't be an issue for you.

Not hardcore gaming, but I would like to play the recent games on an “appropriate” resolution/FPS and gaming experience 😉

Viewing angle will mainly be just me and my screen. And for other joining/seeing/sharing screen is secondary.

So the TN-display will suffice I guess...?!

Another thing to keep in mind, aside from the viewing angle being way worse, TN panels also have poorer color reproduction, even when compared to lesser IPS panels. If viewing angle and colors are irrelevant for your needs, TN would be fine. I for one will never buy anything made with a TN panel, as the differences to me are immediately apparent. Some couldn't care less, though, and the money may be worth saving in those cases.

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

Sorry... price is 1349 vs. 1599. Is this still to be justified according to you?

For me it would be worth it, for you, maybe you won't care or notice and you can save yourself some money. Go to a store and compare some of the screen types.

It's hard to even show a comparison image comparing the two, it's not really until you sit in front of one and try and use it that you really get the difference. 

Have you run across any reviews of these models that mention anything about display brightness? Some companies like Dell and Lenovo offer models with different displays and the entry-price "economy" panels are absolutely terrible regardless of whether they're TN or IPS. Without knowing more about the actual panel, there's not a lot of solid advice available: different panels have different advantages or flaws including things like brightness, PWM/flickering frequency, graininess, color (inaccuracy), glow and backlight bleed, brightness distribution, and so on. Without knowing any details, and if you expect you'll be staring at this thing every day for the next couple years, why not splurge for the pricier IPS-equipped model? Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

If you use your computer for any kind of design work, pay the extra for the better color reproduction of an IPS monitor...

If you are a gamer, watch a lot of movies or even need to ask this question: save your money and go for the faster response time of a TN panel!

b(-_-)d

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Not hardcore gaming, but I would like to play the recent games on an “appropriate” resolution/FPS and gaming experience 😉

Viewing angle will mainly be just me and my screen. And for other joining/seeing/sharing screen is secondary.

So the TN-display will suffice I guess...?!

TN only if it comes free. if you spending money on it. VA, IPS, or PLS

ips all the way. never again I will buy a ton panel after owning a good IPS

and new IPS displays got good response times too.

TN is just an ⁷ sore in comparison 

but look at specs. some great TN can potentially be better then the cheap and bad IPS? 

13 hours ago, Jimmy1 said:

ips all the way. never again I will buy a ton panel after owning a good IPS

and new IPS displays got good response times too.

TN is just an ⁷ sore in comparison 

but look at specs. some great TN can potentially be better then the cheap and bad IPS? 

The notebooks I'm currently looking at are:

MSI GL73 9SD-282NL (TN) and MSI GL75 9SD-009NL (IPS),

Asus ROG Strix GL731GV-EV026T (IPS) and Asus ROG Strix GL731GU-EV098T (IPS)

I know the specs and prices vary quite much...

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.