• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Oldest/Longest Neowin members?

+John.    1,396
On 1/29/2020 at 2:43 PM, warwagon said:

I use to get warned about twice per year.

I've only ever gotten one warning and I'll never forget it. Someone wanted to know if there was a waterproof USB stick he could get so he could have a shower, and I got in trouble for asking why he didn't just take it off!

+warwagon    13,392
2 minutes ago, John. said:

I've only ever gotten one warning and I'll never forget it. Someone wanted to know if there was a waterproof USB stick he could get so he could have a shower, and I got in trouble for asking why he didn't just take it off!

ya so that makes no sense.

• Like 1

+John.    1,396
10 minutes ago, warwagon said:

ya so that makes no sense.

IKR. Glad the rules have been relaxed a little bit since then!

Brandon H    3,351
38 minutes ago, John. said:

lol took a look at the warning "warned for contributing nothing to the topic". In any day I can't see that being worth a warning for such a simple play on words joke.

I won't drop names but I can see why that particular person isn't a mod anymore if they judged that harshly during their time :rofl:

+warwagon    13,392
15 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

lol took a look at the warning "warned for contributing nothing to the topic". In any day I can't see that being worth a warning for such a simple play on words joke.

I won't drop names but I can see why that particular person isn't a mod anymore if they judged that harshly during their time :rofl:

Wasn't me! It always annoyed me seeing stuff like that getting reported.

Damo R.    29,670

Even Rappy got warned a couple of times ;)

• Haha 1

+devHead    2,014

I've been here since Aug 7, 2001.  Member 427

os2fan2    0

It is a hugely popular site, evidently.  I joined 2005.08.03, and have number 121661. 

+John.    1,396
20 hours ago, Brandon H said:

It was only 14 years ago. Good thing I'm not bitter or anything!!

shockz    6,584
20 hours ago, Brandon H said:

hmm, I bet that mod has an interesting story to tell. :rolleyes:

Back when we had a thriving community, I have a feeling they adhered to strict standards from the sounds of it... just a guess though. Probably when people cared about maintaining a proper tech community and not a domestic politics tabloid keeping a tech graveyard afloat. (Y)

Have a feeling that particular mod might have also stuck around after a particular staff revolt that was the bread and butter of the talent here left. This mod may have been asked to stay to stop the floodgates that had opened, as he was well liked by the majority of staff and was able to calm the influx of chaos that occurred. Eventually this staff member might have been asked to maintain their news staff over moderation while the dust settled, as well as pull in talent with laughable wages and pushed to use his connections at Microsoft. Only to have his efforts in that arena squandered by silly office politics a few years later and left, and eventually also lost his veteran status for not being afraid to call out that nonsense, all at the same time had a repeat offender banned member stalk him in real life and receive no assistance from administration here.

In the end though, that particular staff member was able to go on to better pastures and is a high level contributor to another thriving site.

Again. Just a guess though.

Edited by shockz

+John.    1,396
10 minutes ago, shockz said:

hmm, I bet that mod has an interesting story to tell. :rolleyes:

Back when we had a thriving community, I have a feeling they adhered to strict standards from the sounds of it. just a guess though. Probably when people cared about maintaining a proper tech community and not a domestic politics tabloid keeping a tech graveyard afloat. (Y)

oops. Hi Shockz!

shockz    6,584
25 minutes ago, John. said:

oops. Hi Shockz!

Hello lol. No grudges here. I had a job to do, and at the time, all warns were posted to a staff section that were peer reviewed. 

I honestly can’t believe I remember this particular incident still though lol, so that peer review must have been lively. 

jebus197    14
2 hours ago, John. said:

It was only 14 years ago. Good thing I'm not bitter or anything!!

I have the dishonorable pleasure of managing somehow to have been banned. But again, it was so long ago I have no idea what for or why. What sprung this thread off was nostalgically searching the threads for my old user name and noting that even some time after the event, some people still mentioned me and said they missed me. Things seemed a bit wilder back in the day. We had factions from all walks of life in RWI (is that even active any more) and in the science thread (which seems rather dead now btw) and this stimulated a lot of heated debate. It was fun. However unfortunately both mods and contributors shared the same attributes of not wishing to offend, or be offended by anyone - with the inevitable outcome of stifling any very interesting or useful debate. So eventually I guess anyone with a controversial or non-standard view probably eventually got banned, or found themselves with no-one of opposing merit to debate with. Hence on last inspection, these forum subsections now seem a little bland.

But there we are, I waited well over a decade (in fact nearly 14 years) to make that point, lol.  😊 I guess you could say that my ban probably stung a bit at that time.

Edited by jebus197