• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

ASRock’s AMD Ryzen NUC (4x4BOX-V1000M)

Mindovermaster    3,693

This a review, but any Ryzen fans, get ready...

No Intel Inside in This NUC-like PC

Intel has dominated the ultra-compact form factor (UCFF) landscape for the past years and their NUC product line has become almost synonymous with 4 by 4 inch mini PCs since their launch back in 2012. Late this year AMD announced that they’re planning to change this as their Ryzen Embedded SoC was going to power several vendors’ NUC-like products. ASRock’s 4X4 BOX-V1000M is the product we’re looking at today.

Overview

The 4X4 BOX comes from ASRock’s industrial product line, which is an interesting choice considering the rather promising GPU in it. In any case the BOX looks a lot similar to their Beebox line with its black plastic rounded case and its 4″ x 4″ (110 mm x 118 mm to be exact) form factor. It is a bit higher at 67 mm (2.65″) though. The company has two models which differ in the CPU selection: the other model is R1000V that comes with dual-core AMD Ryzen R1505G CPU whereas this V1000M model is equipped with quad-core AMD Ryzen V1605G CPU. Both models feature Radeon Vega GPUs, but again, the V1000M model has a more powerful GPU in it.

4×4 BOX next to an Intel NUC with a higher case (NUC6CAYH)

Specifications look like this:

AMD Ryzen Embedded V-Series V1605B CPU, quad-core, 2 GHz, boost up to 3.6 GHz, 12-25W TDP

AMD Radeon Vega 8 GPU, boost up to 1.1 GHz, 8 CUs, 512 shading units

2x DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM slots, max. RAM 32 GB

Single M.2 slot (form factor 2242/2260 only) with PCIe x4 and SATA3 for SSD

Single 2.5″ SATA drive slot for SSD/HDD

Front USB ports: 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2, 2 x USB 2.0

Rear USB ports: 2 x USB 3.2 Gen2

2x Gigabit Ethernet (Realtek RTL8111G)

1x HDMI 2 port

2x DisplayPort 1.2a ports

Intel Wireless-AC 3168 802.11ac WiFi module (in the secondary M.2 slot), Bluetooth 4.2

3.5 mm audio jack for headset

External power brick: 12 V, 90 W

Dimensions: 110 x 118 x 63 mm

The design of the case has a bit too much plastic for my liking and the rounded corners don’t really do that for me. I like those matt sides, but I’d imagine that had the case been manufactured out of aluminum it would conduct a bit more heat out from the case...

Link and benchmarks: https://nucblog.net/2019/12/asrock-amd-ryzen-nuc-4x4box-v1000m-review/