2020 Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)

dead.cell

Not sure why nobody's really talking about this. I've started keeping tabs on it, as the on-goings of China have taken my interest due to the political climate. Still, I noticed the number of infected jump from 7,700 one day, to 9,600 the next. 

Now between the time I checked the news to the time I'm posting this, the number has already jumped from the 14k to 17k now. It's literally about doubled since the 31st of January, and the numbers are still expected to be "low" based on the fact that China had been working to censor people from posting about it, as they try to "keep the peace". Ignorance is bliss, right?  Anyway, while I'm no fan of CNN, they've been a good regular source for up to date coverage.  If you have better info, please feel free to share.  Personally concerned for how big this thing is actually going to get, especially considering the working conditions for manufacturing in China, along with living conditions of some of those areas, as well as India for that matter.

Thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-03-20-intl-hnk/index.html

+Dick Montage

Absolutely disagree that China has been working to censor it. Quite the opposite; I have been astounded how globally open they HAVE been about it - very different to how they have operated in the past.

• Like 1
RichardK

Wag the Dog...

Peresvet
6 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Thoughts?

It's spreading much faster than SARS or H1N1 did in the past.

Of course, it's a major concern. However, everything is relative. Consider this:

Already during this flu season, about 15 million Americans have been infected and more than 8,000 have died.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/480089-coronavirus-sparks-panic-as-flu-poses-greater-threat-to

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/for-now-the-flu-is-a-bigger-risk-than-coronavirus-2020-01-30

Peresvet

The global economy will take a massive hit this year that's for sure.

Wuhan, the epicentre of the infection is at the heartland of the Chinese manufacturing sector. All the factories there are closed now.

The economists can already calculate the contraction of the Chinese and world economies for every day that the factories stay shut down. 

The price of oil has nose-dived from $68 per barrel a month ago to just $55 as of right now. There's no demand for energy in the region of the world where a big chunk of it was being consumed.

As China starts to produce less, its exports will fall, driving the cost of oil further down, as there'll be less demand for fuel for cargo ships.

If the world demand for electronics produced in China stays the same, but, all of a sudden, the production falls, it will trigger a price increase for the Chinese exports. 

On the bright side, consumers will soon realize some savings at the gas pumps.

And the environmentalists can rejoice as the most polluting region in the world is producing very little pollution right now.

Mockingbird
8 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Not sure why nobody's really talking about this.

...because the Chinese uses difference social media sites than the rest of the world

forster

Its an experimental bio-weapon that got out of their virology insitute :shifty:

dead.cell
14 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Absolutely disagree that China has been working to censor it. Quite the opposite; I have been astounded how globally open they HAVE been about it - very different to how they have operated in the past.

I agree their response has been better than that of the SARS virus, but they're still downplaying it, as some argue they're trying to prevent any UN declaration of pandemic/epidemic to protect their vested interests... and understandably so.  You don't even have to dig very hard to get to this info; just two hours ago: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-02-03/china-wuhan-coronavirus-censorship

(not to say I believe every claim, but when you can throw darts at a board and get a hit blindfolded, it says something)

8 hours ago, Peresvet said:

It's spreading much faster than SARS or H1N1 did in the past.

Of course, it's a major concern. However, everything is relative. Consider this:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/480089-coronavirus-sparks-panic-as-flu-poses-greater-threat-to

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/for-now-the-flu-is-a-bigger-risk-than-coronavirus-2020-01-30

Death toll already higher than SARS now too.  Regarding the flu itself being a bigger risk, I mean we can debate this all day long, just like deaths from drunk driving, guns, heart disease, you name it. One doesn't invalidate concerns for the other though.  Given how many people are under lockdown in China, I think it's safe to say it's still very much a concern. I am glad China is taking it seriously though.  Realistically, everyone stands to lose if they don't.

Apparently, 11 infected in Germany already, another 11 in the US (unsurprisingly most in California, since it's along the west coast). The US is a lot of ground to cover though, compared to Germany.  Will be keeping eyes on Europe, since I had plans to visit around Oktoberfest. :/

Melfster

I wouldn't give too much credit to the Chinese government Initially the Chinese downplayed even arrested those who spoke out about the virus.  Even now they are censoring a lot lot of info. The reason why this is big deal is not the deaths involved but how infectious this virus really is.

Peresvet
1 minute ago, Melfster said:

The reason why this is big deal is not the deaths involved but how infectious this virus really is.

Laughable.

If it weren't deadly, no one would care. And the more infectious it is, the higher the death toll will be.

Melfster
11 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

Laughable.

If it weren't deadly, no one would care. And the more infectious it is, the higher the death toll will be.

If you look at data most of deaths are from are older people who have pre-existing conditions and have contracted the virus.  People who think Chinese gov has done great job  containing this virus are stupid. 

Peresvet
1 minute ago, Melfster said:

If you look at data most of deaths are from are older people who have pre-existing conditions and have contracted the virus.  People who think Chinese gov has done great job with this containing this virus are stupid. 

More comedy.

Please continue.

• Like 1
FloatingFatMan
23 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Then you've already fallen for the propaganda, hook line and sinker.

China lies, especially about things like this.  If you want to know what's really going on, look at the reports coming from people within China itself, not the MSM.  Things are far worse over there than they are saying.

Check out channels like ADVChina or LAOWHY86 on YouTube for a hint of what's really going on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
dead.cell
16 hours ago, Chris Graham said:

Thank you, I appreciate the link!

Looks like we're nearing 21,000 infected already, 427 dead. :(:(:(

UK apparently telling its people to gtfo of China, though I'm curious as to how they'll make it home and/or be treated to ensure infection doesn't spread in the UK.

+Dick Montage
10 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Then you've already fallen for the propaganda, hook line and sinker.

China lies, especially about things like this.  If you want to know what's really going on, look at the reports coming from people within China itself, not the MSM.  Things are far worse over there than they are saying.

Check out channels like ADVChina or LAOWHY86 on YouTube for a hint of what's really going on.

I’ve seen such reports. I genuinely don’t feel that anything I’ve seen on the news contradicts them. Do governments often understate and individuals present a more dramatic “on the ground” view? Absolutely.

dead.cell
4 hours ago, Human.Online said:

I’ve seen such reports. I genuinely don’t feel that anything I’ve seen on the news contradicts them. Do governments often understate and individuals present a more dramatic “on the ground” view? Absolutely.

Maybe we'll have to just agree to disagree to prevent the merry-go-round of opinion, but news outlets from here to the UK seem to be telling similar stories. I've been careful to avoid sourcing news from Hong Kong, given their protests of China might represent bias against China (though I do support their freedom from extradition).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/coronavirus-doctor-whistle-blower-intl-hnk/index.html

Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".

"We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice - is that understood?" Underneath in Dr Li's handwriting is written: "Yes, I do."

He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382

Edit: In effort for some positive news, thought this was pretty cool... a timelapse of them putting together two new hospitals to deal with the virus:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/01/31/hospitals-being-built-urgently-for-coronavirus-patients-in-wuhan-china-lc-lon-orig.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

FloatingFatMan
5 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Thank you, I appreciate the link!

Looks like we're nearing 21,000 infected already, 427 dead. :(:(:(

UK apparently telling its people to gtfo of China, though I'm curious as to how they'll make it home and/or be treated to ensure infection doesn't spread in the UK.

All arrivals from China are being quarantined in a secure hospital for 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
FloatingFatMan
4 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Part of the problem with underreporting is the difference between what the cause of death is reported as.

In the west, if someone catches flu and dies of a heart attack due to complication from the flu, the cause of death is recorded as "Complications caused by influenza infection."   In China, that cause of death is reported as  a heart attack, with no mention of any causative factor such as a virus infection.  That's where they hide some of the numbers.

+Dick Montage
5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Part of the problem with underreporting is the difference between what the cause of death is reported as.

In the west, if someone catches flu and dies of a heart attack due to complication from the flu, the cause of death is recorded as "Complications caused by influenza infection."   In China, that cause of death is reported as  a heart attack, with no mention of any causative factor such as a virus infection.  That's where they hide some of the numbers.

Totally get that, but I’ve been reading that while on paper it’s recorded as such, there’s nobody denying that the virus was responsible?

FloatingFatMan
4 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Totally get that, but I’ve been reading that while on paper it’s recorded as such, there’s nobody denying that the virus was responsible?

It skews the official figures, which are the ones used by the WHO to assess global threat levels, so it's kinda important.

+warwagon

Just in case, I Picked this up tonight, I'll be going out in style.

photo_2020-02-04_18-41-58.jpg

• Haha 1
FloatingFatMan

Watch the following video and actually THINK about what they say.  I've been watching these guys for over a year. They're not conspiracy theorists, they're not interested in spreading FUD against China (hell, they LIVED there for 15 years and have Chinese wives!).  They LOVE China and are really worried for their friends and family over there...  It's the CCCP that they dislike; the root cause behind all of China's problems.

Do not go to China.

Do not buy from Ali-Express or TaoBao...

+Randomevent
On 2/3/2020 at 1:05 AM, dead.cell said:

Thoughts?

~1.4 billion people in about as much land as the US houses ~330 million in...

Should I be shocked?  Is there even anything to be concerned about, if you're not in China?

So far it seems to be being appropriately handled, just like every other disease scare we've had.  Wake me up when the zombie outbreak hits.

• Steven P. changed the title to 2020 Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)