• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

Time to upgrade my router - roast me.

Question

Distant    9

Hello,

I am leaning towards the TP Link C2300 but I'm after a second opinion.

 

I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 that has been having a plethora of freezes lately. I seem to be restarting it 2-3 a week.
I have 500Mbps up/down internet and a variety of wireless devices:
2 phones, 2 tablets, 1 laptop, roku, handful of smart devices (ring, garage door opener, 2 wyze cameras)

 

My house has internet drops throughout the house, the only one in use is the one in the office which connects 2 PCs hardwired.

Our internet usage is standard, wireless streaming and gaming.

 

I'm mainly looking for something "current" that can handle stable speeds considering the internet I have.

Thanks!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
+BudMan    3,694

When did you get 500/500 internet... Because that 3700v2 is only a N600... It would be like watching paint dry on a 500mbps internet connection..  The thing can not even break 100mbps down... From every benchmark have ever seen..

 

If the reason your upgrading is your 3700 is rebooting... You could go to to the store and pickup whatever the cheapest router they have and be fine..  Since you seem to not have any need for any sort of actual wifi speed near your 500/500..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
goretsky    1,169

Hello,

 

Given that the Netgear WNDR3700v2 router is ten years old, I suspect the problems are due to failing components on its system board.  I am not particularly familiar with the TP Link C2300 router that you mentioned, but suspect it will be a vast improvement over the Netgear device.  I did see a report of it running hot, so be sure to keep it in a well-ventilated area, and out of direct sun, away from heaters, etc.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
PGHammer    1,717
3 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

 

Given that the Netgear WNDR3700v2 router is ten years old, I suspect the problems are due to failing components on its system board.  I am not particularly familiar with the TP Link C2300 router that you mentioned, but suspect it will be a vast improvement over the Netgear device.  I did see a report of it running hot, so be sure to keep it in a well-ventilated area, and out of direct sun, away from heaters, etc.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

I had a Netgear WNDR 3700 V.4 that got replaced over similar issues (with a different Netgear router).  It never ran hot - but had other issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xendrome    5,583

Look at a mesh type system?

 

AmpliFi HD 

Google WiFi system

Linksys Velop

TP-Link Deco

 

Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+virtorio    3,270

I have that TP-Link Archer 2300 for more than a year and I've had to reboot it two (maybe three) times (which is not bad).

 

That said, for reasons I've not been able to figure out, my Lenovo Yoga 910 has all kinds of connectivity issues with it (it's fine with other routers, and the router is fine with other devices) - sometimes it won't see the 5Ghz AP, sometimes it won't connect to it, sometimes it connects but network operations just hang (or go very very slow), sometimes those issues also apply to the 2.4Ghz AP and sometimes it just works perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    3,204

I had that Netgear WNDR3700, too. (cant remember version) It eventually had bad ethernet ports on it, and one day, none of them worked, so, ordered a new ASUS RT-N66R. I currently have that as an AP in my living room. So its wireless is available to every room in the house (small house, more like a ranch, in size)

 

Do you have a modem, seperate from the router? (I'm guessing, yes) If so, you can do what I did...

 

IMG_20200125_101520114.thumb.jpg.c375d25a527a151483d0df10d3257bff.jpg

 

Switch on top, That goes to every room in the house and basement PCs.

Modem on left, supplies TV, Phone, Internet from Spectrum.

PfSense computer on right, SFF AMD, runs from my modem, then goes into switch.

UPS on bottom. (can't remember voltage, one of @warwagon's)

 

I wanted to make it run RIGHT for our new house (had it built 2 years ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mud W1ggle    89
3 hours ago, xendrome said:

Look at a mesh type system?

 

AmpliFi HD 

Google WiFi system

Linksys Velop

TP-Link Deco

 

Etc.

Dont get a mesh, your Ring, cams, and garage door opener wont work with a Mesh system

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,551
23 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Dont get a mesh, your Ring, cams, and garage door opener wont work with a Mesh system

Eh? And why is that? I cannot think of a single technical reason on why that would be a thing past misconfiguration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    3,204
14 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Eh? And why is that? I cannot think of a single technical reason on why that would be a thing past misconfiguration.

Yeah, why would that be? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,694
9 hours ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Dont get a mesh, your Ring, cams, and garage door opener wont work with a Mesh system

This is just plain nonsense/fud.... Where did you pick up such misinformation?  Please do not spread it around... The only difference in mesh and other wifi, is the uplink is over wifi vs wire..

 

The client has zero idea about them connecting to mesh wifi system or not..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
xendrome    5,583
13 hours ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Dont get a mesh, your Ring, cams, and garage door opener wont work with a Mesh system

Um they work just fine.... Maybe it's the specific system you tried?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Distant    9
On 2/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, BudMan said:

When did you get 500/500 internet... Because that 3700v2 is only a N600... It would be like watching paint dry on a 500mbps internet connection..  The thing can not even break 100mbps down... From every benchmark have ever seen..

 

If the reason your upgrading is your 3700 is rebooting... You could go to to the store and pickup whatever the cheapest router they have and be fine..  Since you seem to not have any need for any sort of actual wifi speed near your 500/500..

 

 

I had 25/5 at my old residence. Now I have 500/500 with my local provider for $60/mo which is great.

 

Anyone try out the UniFi Dream Machine?
I do have the UniFi AP AC Lite upstairs, have been considering going all in with that brand because I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
rsrcomp    19

I got a TP-Link Archer AX3000 6 weeks ago and am very pleased with the speed and signal strength. It is wireless n, ac and ax so it is future proofed !!!

 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Archer-AX3000-4-Stream-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-6-Wireless-Router-Up-to-3-Gbps-Speeds-Powered-by-Intel/100797162?comm-msg-vehicle=EMAIL&comm-msg-id=e8514833-8cbc-4ef2-b485-d69152cfb17c

 

Walmart has it at the cheapest price of $129.00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mud W1ggle    89
On 2/5/2020 at 2:30 AM, BudMan said:

This is just plain nonsense/fud.... Where did you pick up such misinformation?  Please do not spread it around... The only difference in mesh and other wifi, is the uplink is over wifi vs wire..

 

The client has zero idea about them connecting to mesh wifi system or not..

Well its true though.  Ring does not work with Google's Mesh at the very least, it keeps bouncing around between all the different physical AP's and losing its connection constantly.

 

Unless they have fixed that in a firmware update, it is 100% the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,551
57 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Well its true though.  Ring does not work with Google's Mesh at the very least, it keeps bouncing around between all the different physical AP's and losing its connection constantly.

 

Unless they have fixed that in a firmware update, it is 100% the case.

That doesn’t make any sense. In a true mesh network, it doesn’t matter which AP it picks because the device is connecting to one SSID. That sounds more like someone setup nodes on top of each other. If they are all equally strong, you have a misconfigured mesh network and/or it’s a problem with the mesh network devices and not the client. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mud W1ggle    89
29 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That doesn’t make any sense. In a true mesh network, it doesn’t matter which AP it picks because the device is connecting to one SSID. That sounds more like someone setup nodes on top of each other. If they are all equally strong, you have a misconfigured mesh network and/or it’s a problem with the mesh network devices and not the client. 

You're right, it doesnt make sense, but that is the case.  and no, the mesh wasn't configured wrong etc etc.  I'm a senior linux systems engineer with 25 years experience by trade, so have a clue or two about this kind of thing.. 

I moved to a Unifi LR AP instead and all became well in the world. 

 

Its a well documented issue with some smart home stuff not working with Mesh systems well.

 

I dont want to argue with you, as I dont have the time or patience to justify myself to a complete stranger, but please don't assume that just because you have not experienced an issue that the issue does not exist.

  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,551
9 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

You're right, it doesnt make sense, but that is the case.  and no, the mesh wasn't configured wrong etc etc.  I'm a senior linux systems engineer with 25 years experience by trade, so have a clue or two about this kind of thing.. 

I moved to a Unifi LR AP instead and all became well in the world. 

 

Its a well documented issue with some smart home stuff not working with Mesh systems well.

 

I dont want to argue with you, as I dont have the time or patience to justify myself to a complete stranger, but please don't assume that just because you have not experienced an issue that the issue does not exist.

I don’t want you to argue with me either because your explanation is nonsense and wasting our time. If something doesn’t make sense, then there is a better explanation than what you are giving. You moving to a single AP just tells us that there was something wrong with the mesh system or it was misconfigured. You are lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Not sure what the experience flex was about...not really relevant to the discussion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Mud W1ggle    89
22 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I don’t want you to argue with me either because your explanation is nonsense and wasting our time. If something doesn’t make sense, then there is a better explanation than what you are giving. You moving to a single AP just tells us that there was something wrong with the mesh system or it was misconfigured. You are lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Not sure what the experience flex was about...not really relevant to the discussion. 

Wow, just wow.

 

my pointing out my experience was showing that im not a noob, and do know what im doing.  Perhaps you might try google and see thats its fairly common.  I am now signing off this thread and muting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
adrynalyne    13,551
20 hours ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Wow, just wow.

 

my pointing out my experience was showing that im not a noob, and do know what im doing.  Perhaps you might try google and see thats its fairly common.  I am now signing off this thread and muting you.

You don’t have to be a noob to be wrong. Those who hinge their arguments on their decades of experience (in my experience) merely show they can no longer be taught or corrected because they think they know it all already. 
 

Stop wasting our time and come back with something of substance. Or don’t, in which case your suggestion will be appropriately disregarded as rubbish. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.