Windows 10 workstation not seeing any updates?

I have a fairly low spec PC on my domain at work. It was running Windows 8 and I upgraded it to Windows 10 back in the end of 2018. It has not seen any Windows updates in all of that time. I go to settings and click on upadtes and it tells me none available. There should be tons of updates since 2018, not to mention all the creators updates etc. I even manually downloaded the latest feature update and went to install it and it told me it couldn't install on my PC. Could the problem be the PC's low end specs were good enough for the original Windows 10 update but are too low to get any of the feature updates?

Is there a WUS server configured that it might be trying to use?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-wu-settings

at .. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU 

UseWUServer (REG_DWORD)

Set this value to 1 to configure Automatic Updates to use a server that is running Software Update Services instead of Windows Update.

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Is there a WUS server configured that it might be trying to use?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-wu-settings

at .. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU 

UseWUServer (REG_DWORD)

Set this value to 1 to configure Automatic Updates to use a server that is running Software Update Services instead of Windows Update.

I thought about that, but I don't think so since all my other workstations get their updates. I will check that though. Is it best practice to use WSUS in a domain anyways?

what CPU is in the machine? that'll be one of the easiest ways to tell if the computer doesn't meet the requirements of newer 10 builds.

15 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I thought about that, but I don't think so since all my other workstations get their updates. I will check that though. Is it best practice to use WSUS in a domain anyways?

are the other workstations on 10?

yes, it is best practice to have a WSUS server setup for domains. So if there is one and they're not configuring any 10 updates that could be why you're not getting anything as well.

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

what CPU is in the machine? that'll be one of the easiest ways to tell if the computer doesn't meet the requirements of newer 10 builds.

are the other workstations on 10?

yes, it is best practice to have a WSUS server setup for domains. So if there is one and they're not configuring any 10 updates that could be why you're not getting anything as well.

I checked the server and WSUS is not installed, so each computer should be (and is) getting updates themselves except for this one PC.

CPU is Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz, 3 GB RAM.

hmm it seems that model should be able to run just fine and has not been dropped from support yet so maybe something is wrong with the install stopping it from getting updates or being able to upgrade.

might need to wipe and install the newer build fresh and rejoin the domain. you could try this with a spare HDD/SSD if you have one available so you could easily swap back if it doesn't work.

edit: might want to add at least another gig of RAM though; 4gb really is the minimum for a smooth experience anymore.

9 hours ago, patseguin said:

I checked the server and WSUS is not installed, so each computer should be (and is) getting updates themselves except for this one PC.

CPU is Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz, 3 GB RAM.

I had a very similar issue to yours and found it to be a default Update GPO (Update Services Client Computer Policy + 2 others) that had configurations keeping the PCs from going out and getting them themselves. However I am not sure they will apply to your scenario because you said no WSUS right?

On 2/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, yuanyasmine said:

I had a very similar issue to yours and found it to be a default Update GPO (Update Services Client Computer Policy + 2 others) that had configurations keeping the PCs from going out and getting them themselves. However I am not sure they will apply to your scenario because you said no WSUS right?

Right, brand new server and WSUS is not even installed. I'm not terribly concerned about it because it's only a shipping computer that runs UPS Worldship. I just like to have all my PC's running the same version of the OS for security updates and stuff. I wonder if I log on to it with a local account instead of the domain if it will update...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Right, brand new server and WSUS is not even installed. I'm not terribly concerned about it because it's only a shipping computer that runs UPS Worldship. I just like to have all my PC's running the same version of the OS for security updates and stuff. I wonder if I log on to it with a local account instead of the domain if it will update...

It may not be installed on the server but have you checked there's not an old GPO somewhere which is being applied to the affected workstations with WSUS settings in place? It's likely not a WSUS issue but worth checking, though if other machines in the OU are updating fine then I would rule it out.

Could you please confirm the Windows 10 version by pressing Windows key+R and typing winver? If you installed it at the end of 2018 I'd expect 1809 or 1803 unless you used very old media.

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if you're using a very old build which has stopped receiving Cumulative Updates for Pro and because the feature update failed in the past or there's an incompatibility then it may be true that there are indeed no updates available.