Windows 10 search broke leaving users with black screen.

• Like 2

Incidentally, although not directly related I also issues with Microsoft's activation service today as well while trying to activate a Windows 7 box (in order to perform the free upgrade to Windows 10)

1 minute ago, jimmy_jazz said:

Incidentally, although not directly related I also issues with Microsoft's activation service today as well while trying to activate a Windows 7 box (in order to perform the free upgrade to Windows 10)

That may be more to do with their weird outage yesterday involving Teams. It was something to do with unexpected certificate expiration. Checking with people today anyone that was having an issue is now able to log.

4 minutes ago, jimmy_jazz said:

you shouldn't need to activate 7 to proceed with the upgrade. as long as the key is present the activation should occur after 10 completes its installation :)

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

you shouldn't need to activate 7 to proceed with the upgrade. as long as the key is present the activation should occur after 10 completes its installation :)

yeah that's normally true but I'm using a VL key so I need to activate first.

Oooo.  Noticed that issue this morning when I was briefly on my notebook before work. Didn't think much of it (aside from "that's weird" and it'll be ok after work).

Just now, jimmy_jazz said:

ah that makes sense. wouldn't have thought that would be treated different but I don't work with VL keys so you could be right.

10 minutes ago, jimmy_jazz said:

I don't think VL keys will work for the free upgrade. Maybe pro version, definitely not enterprise. 

1 minute ago, shockz said:

I don't think VL keys will work for the free upgrade. Maybe pro version, definitely not enterprise. 

that's true; I think enterprise versions were exempt from that. maybe VL in general

1 minute ago, shockz said:

free upgrade works with enterprise, done it many times

14 minutes ago, Som said:

free upgrade works with enterprise, done it many times

You have a Windows 10 VLMK/MAK/CSVLK/GVLK key installed on a KMS server as well?

I have yet to see an Enterprise version of Windows 7/8.1 upgrade to 10 be activated, unless there is a corresponding key installed on a KMS server within that domain.

Not to mention most VL activated systems need to check-in with a KMS server after a set period of time to maintain their activation, which would require your KMS has a legit activation key to pull against for that relevant version of Windows.

Edited by shockz