• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Manager and your role change

notta    79

I was just wondering your opinion guys. Let's say you're in a role and the company you work for has a bad quarter. Let's say the changes are going to affect your role specifically. Do you think a manager should pull you in their office ahead of time and give you a heads up or do think its normal for you to find out in a large group meeting?

My company is going through major changes several of which have affected me over the past 3 years. I would expect a people person manager to give you a heads up but was curious what you guys think. Finding out changes that affect your job in front of an entire group of people is awkward. At least telling you ahead of time lessens the blow.

+Zag L.    746

HR rules vary by company but in my experience, managers aren't usually permitted to share that type of information beforehand to their direct reports. That's not to say they always abide by the rules but most do.

• Like 2

techbeck    6,978

A lot of these discussions happen at a high level without the lower level people knowing until things are decided.  And people are normally notified as a group in person or via email as it is easier/quicker than each manager having 1 on 1s with their employees.  Or a lot of times, an announcement happens to everyone and then if your job is changing, the manager will schedule time to discuss (or you can) after the announcement.  Your manager may not even know what is going on until the announcement as well.

At my work when this happens, it is up to the individual to talk to their managers to see what exactly is happening.  Heck, most of the time Corp IT makes changed to the divisional IT and never notifies them of said change.  Or give very little info.  Then divisions are left to scramble and fix things.  PITA.

Meduso    355
1 hour ago, notta said:

I was just wondering your opinion guys. Let's say you're in a role and the company you work for has a bad quarter. Let's say the changes are going to affect your role specifically. Do you think a manager should pull you in their office ahead of time and give you a heads up or do think its normal for you to find out in a large group meeting?

My company is going through major changes several of which have affected me over the past 3 years. I would expect a people person manager to give you a heads up but was curious what you guys think. Finding out changes that affect your job in front of an entire group of people is awkward. At least telling you ahead of time lessens the blow.

This sounds similar to the meeting our company just had a few hours ago.  You don't happen to work for a fiber company do you?   I believe changes that specifically apply to you should be knowledge given before a wide announcement,  but they usually only do that when its positive.

SnoopZ    270

If you're talking about redundancy then it is usually made at the same time the stock market finds out, alteast it is in the UK because if the investors find out about the redundancies before the official announcement they can then sell their shares i believe that is illegal.