• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Memory upgrade Motile 141M SL

cork1958    1,866
14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

here's another single DIM model https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/0RM-000H-000H2

G.Skill has a few different models but they're all pretty much the same for general use

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007609 50008476 600567142 601204087 601190333

I just went a head and ordered that one in the first link. Dang, no rush shipment from that seller!!

Thank you to every one for the replies and big time help!!

• Like 1

cork1958    1,866
20 hours ago, warwagon said:

It appears that the 2nd ram slot is blocked by the included solid state drive. so to get dual channel memory you have to remove the included ssd and upgrade to an nvme drive to be able to use the 2nd memory slot. Only saw one youtuber mention it.

I guess not. just watched another video where he looked for it. and it wasn't there.

The model that has 2 memory slots is possibly the 142, I have the 141. I'll look around for second slot when my new memory gets here. To answer your question from yesterday, memory usage is at 1962MB's with just this window open using Edge Chromium. Wow, huh?!

cork1958    1,866
22 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You never saw So-DIMM RAM? Or is it just embedded into the motherboard?

Was having one of those major sometimer's issues yesterday, for sure. Usually when I need memory, I just let the Crucial scanner tell me what I need and never even bother paying attention if if it's sodimm, dram, etc. Of course I've seen So-DIMM now that I've recovered from temporary memory loss!! :)

• Haha 1

cork1958    1,866
21 hours ago, warwagon said:

In those cases I call that "engineers just being an ######"

Everything I've seen so far says that 2GB's is reserved for on board video on these laptops.

cork1958    1,866
On 2/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, warwagon said:

One thing i've noticed from the few ryzen computers i've seen is that the integrated video consumes a lot of memory. People who bought computers with 8gb of memory only had 5.9 left. People who bought 12GB units only had 9 left. I'd be curious how much usable ram this had out of the box.

Just installed the 16GB stick and using the exact same amount as it was with the 4GB in it with 1 window open. I do not see another memory slot in my machine.

Mindovermaster    2,907
2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Just installed the 16GB stick and using the exact same amount as it was with the 4GB in it with 1 window open. I do not see another memory slot in my machine.

That a single pair or dual pair? If you look in CPU-z, it will show how many RAM slots you have on your board. Think its on the memory tab.

Jim K    14,488

According to the Motile spec sheet...

Max memory support Up to 16GB total (1 Slot)

• Like 1

cork1958    1,866
7 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That a single pair or dual pair? If you look in CPU-z, it will show how many RAM slots you have on your board. Think its on the memory tab.

7 hours ago, Jim K said:

According to the Motile spec sheet...

Max memory support Up to 16GB total (1 Slot)

Yes, the spec sheet says 1 slot but I've found some other posts around the net that say there's 2. I looked in CPU-z and HWiNFO last night and it says there are 2. Second one could be under plastic cover but that piece of plastic isn't loose on one side like the piece of plastic is above the 1 memory slot. The plastic cover is nothing more than a piece of paper like thing, not a hard plastic. Being that is wasn't loose and actually felt like it was fairly well stuck, I didn't try to hard to remove it. Might try looking inside again some time, but for now it's good to go. 

Jim K    14,488
59 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yes, the spec sheet says 1 slot but I've found some other posts around the net that say there's 2. I looked in CPU-z and HWiNFO last night and it says there are 2. Second one could be under plastic cover but that piece of plastic isn't loose on one side like the piece of plastic is above the 1 memory slot. The plastic cover is nothing more than a piece of paper like thing, not a hard plastic. Being that is wasn't loose and actually felt like it was fairly well stuck, I didn't try to hard to remove it. Might try looking inside again some time, but for now it's good to go. 

Yea, I'm just saying it only has one (don't want you to go chasing ghost or tearing it up trying to find a ghost slot).  This is coming from reading a few reviews, the spec sheet and the user manual and seeing images of the motherboard.  I do not care what CPU-Z or HWInfo states.  BTW, you get more relevant Google search is you search for Motile m141 (vs Motile 141m)

Speaking of ... you don't have to use either of those programs ... in Windows task manager under "Memory"

Capture.thumb.PNG.4b5db5c41354bb7aaba87636b57d3d20.PNG

Even still if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one.

cork1958    1,866
12 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yea, I'm just saying it only has one (don't want you to go chasing ghost or tearing it up trying to find a ghost slot).  This is coming from reading a few reviews, the spec sheet and the user manual and seeing images of the motherboard.  I do not care what CPU-Z or HWInfo states.  

Speaking of ... you don't have to use either of those programs ... in Windows task manager under "Memory"

Capture.thumb.PNG.4b5db5c41354bb7aaba87636b57d3d20.PNG

Even still if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for the second one.

Yep, said 2 slots there also.

Jim K    14,488
22 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yep, said 2 slots there also.

Even still if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one.

Mindovermaster    2,907

One of my Lenovo ThinkPad, there is one on back, one under your keyboard.

cork1958    1,866
1 hour ago, Jim K said:

See attachment. Like I said, not tearing that plastic piece off for now, but maybe after warranty expires! It's going to be my sister in laws laptop anyway. 16GB's is plenty for this thing. Thanks again for all the replies.

memory.jpg

Jim K    14,488
5 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

See attachment. Like I said, not tearing that plastic piece off for now, but maybe after warranty expires! It's going to be my sister in laws laptop anyway. 16GB's is plenty for this thing.

memory.jpg

As I've said with respect to CPU-Z, HWInfo, etc...

Even still if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one.

Your notebook only has ONE slot.  /FIN

Mindovermaster    2,907
7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Your notebook only has ONE slot.  /FIN

Picture says "1 of 2"....

cork1958    1,866
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Glad I wasn't having another dementia moment when I saw 1of 2!! I hoped that's what it meant was only 1 slot out of 2 being used currently.

cork1958    1,866
3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

How many times do I need to say...

Even still if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one.

I had no issue with you saying the chip set may report it incorrectly and I am inclined to believe that, as I did have the thing opened and looked as good as I could without ripping something a part. End of conversation.

Jim K    14,488
19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

16 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Glad I wasn't having another dementia moment when I saw 1of 2!! I hoped that's what it meant was only 1 slot out of 2 being used currently.

Maybe I'm talking Spanish here ... if not ... how many times do I need to say...

"Even if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one."

adrynalyne    13,136
28 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Maybe I'm talking Spanish here ... if not ... how many times do I need to say...

"Even if it reports two slots ... doesn't mean there are really two slots.  The chipset may report two slots but physically the motherboard isn't wired or slotted for a second one."

But bro. It reports 2. Bro. Bro? 😁

• Haha 2

cork1958    1,866
33 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

I had no issue with you saying the chip set may report it incorrectly and I am inclined to believe that, as I did have the thing opened and looked as good as I could without ripping something a part. End of conversation.

In case you missed it, I agreed with you above. It says 2 slots but I only see 1. Enough said!

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,907

Whatever, he's happy with it...

Let's all sing Kumbaya!!