Sony Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact owners launch campaign for Android 10 update

The petition at the time of publication had a goal for 1,500 signatories; it changed to a goal for 2,500 signatories as the request has since surpassed the threshold.

Owners of the Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact have taken to Change.org to air their grievances, in the form of a petition requesting Sony to provide Android 10 to the phones. The petition already has almost 1400 signatures, so it's getting some attention at least. How effective it will be, remains to be seen.

Sony snubbing the Xperia XZ1 phones is a curious case. The phones were released back in 2017, as one of the first devices to be run Android Oreo out of the box. That was a good thing back then, but is likely the reason why Sony isn't providing the phones with Android 10. They were released over two years ago, after all.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xperia-XZ1-and-XZ1-Compact-owners-launch-campaign-for-Android-10-update.453967.0.html

This perhaps was the most significant quote in the article:

If the phones (Sony Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact) launched on Nougat like most others at the time, they would likely have received Oreo and Pie. But they ran Oreo at launch, and Sony may use their age as justification for the exclusion. That would, of course, be a load of nonsense. Providing two major OS updates is the industry standard for flagships, and using the phones' release date as a cop-out reeks of corporate anti-consumerism.

• Brandon H changed the title to Sony Xperia XZ1 and XZ1 Compact owners launch campaign for Android 10 update

yeah things like that are the reason I stopped getting Sony phones again.

I owned an Xperia ZL and Z3 because they were starting to get better about updates and such and their devices were actually decent looking then; then they just got worse again and I stopped getting updates on my Z3 after a year. Sony also stopped innovating the look, every new device started looking the same, just the bezels moved around but didn't shrink. Then they started disabling the new fingerprint reader on US devices. I just stopped caring at that point and jumped ship to a different OEM.

Just now, Riva said:

Dont know, my XZ Premium got android 8 then 9 from 7. Xperia 1 got Android 10 so far, it doesnt look like there is an update issue from Sony.

yeah they probably started improving again since then. It's past the point for me personally to care though. Their phones are priced to high for me anyway in my general budget. I'm on a no contract carrier so I buy phones outright when I get new usually. I tend to stay in the $350 or less range.

4 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I owned an Xperia ZL and Z3 because they were starting to get better about updates and such and their devices were actually decent looking then; then they just got worse again and I stopped getting updates on my Z3 after a year. Sony also stopped innovating the look, every new device started looking the same, just the bezels moved around but didn't shrink. Then they started disabling the new fingerprint reader on US devices. I just stopped caring at that point and jumped ship to a different OEM.

I think that the Z3 had not been updated primarily due to Qualcomm.

4 hours ago, Riva said:

Dont know, my XZ Premium got android 8 then 9 from 7. Xperia 1 got Android 10 so far, it doesnt look like there is an update issue from Sony.

XZ Premium received two updates? XZ1 and XZ1 Compact have not.

Sony only recently removed the United States version of the XZ1 webpage and XZ1 Compact webpage from its website. Tragic.

https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-xz1/

https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-xz1-compact/

Those now just redirect to https://www.sony.com

There apparently are no proper archives either.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:19 PM, Brandon H said:

I did additional research on the Z3 update issue.

It is understood why you would think the way you do regarding Nougat and Z3.

Sony developer Ola Olsson: 'Even if we really wanted to give you N on the z3(c), we wouldn’t been able to do it. Not if we wanted to pass the Google CTS.'

Sony developer Zingo Anderson: 'The reasons are both technical and legal. If you followed the N Developer Preview program you know that we didn’t release the final DP5. That program ran into some unforeseen limitations that could not be resolved. This is the reason that both concept and official won’t be upgraded to Android N.'

Source: https://www.xperiablog.net/2016/08/30/sony-is-not-to-blame-for-leaving-the-xperia-z3-off-the-android-nougat-list/

It is the first quote that rubs the wrong way. 'Even if we really wanted to ...'

It still would not explain the terrible support for the SONY Xperia XZ1 and the Xperia XZ1 Compact. The discontinuation of support is arbitrary and meaningless.

And pulling the websites is really the kind of move that I would expect from Microsoft------not the reputable Japanese corporation.

And this recently after positive feedback for the XZ1 was left when taking the support forum survey.
efAjgly.png

It will be necessary to ask why the websites were pulled. They were not even yet three years old.

• 3 weeks later...

Petition for Sony Xperia XZ1 Android 10 Update hits 2Khttps://androidmarvel.com/petition-for-sony-xperia-xz1-android-10-update-hits-2k/

As of writing this article, almost 2000 people have signed the petition ‘Android 10 for Sony Xperia XZ1’ on Change.org. The petition calls for Sony to roll out the latest Android 10 software update for Xperia XZ1 devices.

In case you didn’t know, the Xperia XZ1 was launched in 2017 and originally came with Android 8.0 Oreo. Since the launch, the phone has received only one major OS update — Android 9.0 Pie — and the petitioners are clearly not happy as Sony fails to keep its promise of 2-year support for premium devices.

Recapping the specifications, the Xperia XZ1 features a 5.2-inch Full HD display and packs Snapdragon 835 chipset, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, 19MP rear camera, 13MP front camera, and 2700mAh battery.

As one astute commentator wrote: 'There is no technical reason why these phones cannot be updated to Android 10.'

• 1 month later...