Graphics card turns on then turns off no display on monitor

Exactly what title says. All other parts of the pc seem to be running fine. Lights are on fans are spinning but my graphics card fan turns on and spins for 10 seconds then slows down to a complete stop and no display shows on my monitor. Please help.

Just now, Mockingbird said:

You gave no information about the PC.

What is the specs of the PC?

Is this a new PC or old PC?

etc.

Ok sorry I’m new to pc stuff. My pc is about 2 years old. So basically I have 16 gb of ram but I had 8 on the wrong channel so I switched it to the correct channel and that is when the problem occured. I think I have  a gtx 1060 graphics card I don’t remember. 16 gb ddr4 ram. Intel core i5.

8 minutes ago, dylan7005 said:

Ok sorry I’m new to pc stuff. My pc is about 2 years old. So basically I have 16 gb of ram but I had 8 on the wrong channel so I switched it to the correct channel and that is when the problem occured. I think I have  a gtx 1060 graphics card I don’t remember. 16 gb ddr4 ram. Intel core i5.

How do you know the memory were in the wrong DIMM slots?

27 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

How do you know the memory were in the wrong DIMM slots?

They are color coded are they not? And I have a program on my computer that shows my specs and it said I only had 8 gb

2 minutes ago, dylan7005 said:

They are color coded are they not? And I have a program on my computer that shows my specs and it said I only had 8 gb

That is not how to determine which DIMM slots the memory goes into.

You have to read the manual.

24 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

That is not how to determine which DIMM slots the memory goes into.

You have to read the manual.

Yeah, each board is different. Some boards don't have color coordination.

But to OP, if it runs and automatically shuts down, it is "usually" a RAM error. Not always. Try reseating your RAM in the "correct" slots. Via your motherboard's manual. As said above. ^

11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, each board is different. Some boards don't have color coordination.

But to OP, if it runs and automatically shuts down, it is "usually" a RAM error. Not always. Try reseating your RAM in the "correct" slots. Via your motherboard's manual. As said above. ^

I looked at my manual and my motherboards DIMM slots are color coded into 2 different channels And I tried putting the ram in different slots still same problem.

Is it possible that one stick of RAM is broken? It worked when you only had 8GB right?

You should start with testing if the PC boots up fully and properly with one stick (then swap it for the other one in the same slot) so you can rule out if it is a RAM or motherboard problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Is it possible that one stick of RAM is broken? It worked when you only had 8GB right?

You should start with testing if the PC boots up fully and properly with one stick (then swap it for the other one in the same slot) so you can rule out if it is a RAM or motherboard problem.

I was just going to say that... I'd run MemTest on that, too. Seperate sticks, I meant.