When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Samsung phones receive random Find My Mobile notifications [Update]

White Samsung logo on a blue background

Samsung phone owners have reported that they’re seeing random Find My Mobile notifications. Users are seeing the notification with just a message reading “1” and if clicked, the message just vanishes. Samsung hasn’t publicly commented on the matter yet but it’s likely to just be an accident on behalf of the Korean firm, a similar incident happened last year when OnePlus pushed a similar notification out to OnePlus 7 Pro owners during an internal test.

While it’s probably harmless, another Reddit user suggested something a little more sinister exclaiming “I bet we’ll hear in a few weeks that our location data was hacked.” While this is pretty unlikely, it’ll mean trouble for Samsung.

Reports of the notification don’t seem to be limited to any locality, people from Singapore, New Zealand, the U.S., Canada, and South Africa all reported seeing the message. The notification didn't seem to discriminate between devices either, it was received by a wide range of phones including the Note8, Note9, Note10+, J5, J6, J7, A20, A50, S8, S9, S9+, S10, and S10e but probably affects more.

While completely without evidence, one user has claimed (via unnamed Samsung UK sources) that the notification is the result of a massive hack, meanwhile a Samsung Care Ambassador said that it looks like a test by Samsung to ensure their services are working. We won't know for certain what has gone on until Samsung releases an official statement on the matter, we'll update the post to let you know what they say.

Update: Samsung UK has issued a tweet to say that the notification was the result of an internal test.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Windows 10's colorful app icons are finally showing up for Insiders

Previous Article

Verizon will reportedly not sell the Pixel 4a and Pixel 5 on its network [Update]