• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New build - need help no video on bootup

Audit16    2

Hi folks.  Need some help. Been 8 years since I built a PC. Having no display on initial boot. The details:

Aorus b360 gaming 3 WiFi motherboard

intel core i5-9400f no integrated graphics 

Corsair vengeance ddr4 2x16gb 2666mhz

asus 210 silent 1gb ddr3 - moved from my previous build  

machine turns on, all fans including GPU fan on

lots of lights flashing and beeping, but no video (hdmi from gout to screen)

appreciate in advance help or suggestions

and if posted in wrong place, please let me know and I will move it

jim

Edited by Audit16

Jim K    14,443

How many beeps? 

Audit16    2

5 long beeps, then seems to restart

Audit16    2

Just read another thread that 5long beeps may mean poorly seated or bad ram. I will pull the ram and reseat and see what happens

naquis    2

I looked into this saw a number of people with the same issue found it was the CPU.  Gigabytes FAQ about beeps codes says the same thing.  https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816

I hope it is something easy to fix, that would suck if it was a bad CPU.

Audit16    2

Reseated the ram. Got to bios setup. Let’s see how it goes

naquis    2

Awesome!  Got to love those simple fixes. 

• Like 1

Audit16    2

Yup, thanks. Next question, was looking for option in bios to boot from usb. I may need to do that as the current os on one of my SSDs would not boot on my old pc. Again, help is appreciated

naquis    2

I think on Gigabyte its F12 for the boot menu.  Plug in bootable USB drive, power on computer, hit F12, select USB drive. 

Audit16    2

Well, fun journey. One step at a time.  Got the usb to be recognized and it started the boot process but froze at the first screen, windows setup. Ideas on this one?

naquis    2

Yes,  If you have more than one stick or RAM, start the install with only one stick to eliminate the possibility that you have a bad stick of RAM.

Audit16    2

Got it to boot, so think the ram is ok, right. Now, next is to figure out what the windows setup hangs on the first screen, from the usb. I may redownload the windows setup and try again, or may try plugin to into another USB port

1 hour ago, naquis said:

Yes,  If you have more than one stick or RAM, start the install with only one stick to eliminate the possibility that you have a bad stick of RAM.

So a bad stick would let the machine get to the boot process and then hang?

shockz    6,907
9 minutes ago, Audit16 said:

a bad stick would let the machine get to the boot process and then hang?

Absolutely. You can get all the way into Windows and bsod. Or never have an issue 90% of the time. Should do a memory test. 

other issues for the type or behavior you’re seeing could be heat related, or power related. Check that your video card is seated properly if you have one, and that airflow isn’t getting blocked. Same with cpu, as well as making sure the heat sink is seated properly.

if you have onboard graphics along with a video card, take the video card out and see if problem occurs. Never mind just re-read your specs. 

My bets on bad ram though.

Audit16    2

Thanks shockz.  Going to try clearing the cmos first as I see that fixed some others that had this same problem. Don’t have an integrated graphics cpu so need my graphics card on. No hear problem, I don’t believe. Fans on and both sides of box off.  If clearing cmos fails, will try your other suggestions

thanks

Audit16    2

Well, I cleared the cmos, but think the actual problem was an id10t error :).  needed to tab down to the next button and I was trying to use the down arrow key to get there. Oh well...

next, upgrade v custom os install. I have the original os on my old sod in the pc, but not sure that upgrade is the right selection. Again, any help is appreciated

jim

Mindovermaster    2,898

You want to do a fresh install on a new built system. Everything will be different, and Windows will get confused.

Jim K    14,443
47 minutes ago, Audit16 said:

Well, I cleared the cmos, but think the actual problem was an id10t error :).  needed to tab down to the next button and I was trying to use the down arrow key to get there. Oh well...

next, upgrade v custom os install. I have the original os on my old sod in the pc, but not sure that upgrade is the right selection. Again, any help is appreciated

jim

This is not applicable to an OEM install (if you're coming from a Dell, etc or have an OEM license) 

Windows 8.x and 10 are a little more forgiving with respect to moving a fully installed OS to a new system.  You'll probably be alright slapping the "old" SSD into the new system, boot up, Windows will probably say it is getting devices ready (basically installing/initializing drivers appropriate for the new build) ... and you'll be greeted with the desktop.  Now, once at the desktop you'll probably find that it isn't activated .. so have your product key handy.  

With that said ... it is typically recommended to do a fresh install ... but if you don't want to go through and install *everything* again ... you'll probably be alright doing the above.

Audit16    2

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I went thru the install process and thought I selected the nvme drive to load the OS, but looks like it reloaded it on my old intel 180gb that had the original corrupted OS. During the install, windows did not ask me for my license key (other than at the very beginning, when I clicked I didn’t have one).  Still trying to figure that out so thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Contemplating using Intel’s OS migration software to move the OS dorm the old Intel 180gb Santa SSD to the new 1tb nvme. Thoughts or ideas are appreciated 

thanks again for all the help and suggestions

jim

Jim K    14,443

oh ... I'm so confused at what you're trying to do.  So you want to move an old Windows 10 install from a SSD to a nvme drive and use that in a new build ... and the original OS is corrupted???  Oh no.

Just install a fresh copy of 10 on the new nvme and proceed from there.  If you're worried about installing it on the "old" SSD ... just disconnect it from the motherboard (leaving only the nvme drive) until you have 10 up and running.

Audit16    2

Jim, thanks for the thought. Yeah, sorry if my commentary and questions were ambiguous. I don’t know all the right terms but let me try and lay out for you the circumstances. And I really do appreciate the suggestions. Best recollection of steps and decisions:

old machine OS was windows 10 on 180gb IBM SSD

OS either got corrupted or ran out of room and I got unrecoverable BSOD

bought the new motherboard, ram, cpu and Intel nvme  SSD, 1tb

installed the new HW in the old box and left in the other old HW, the old SSD, two HDs setup in RAID config another old HD and a DVD R/W drive

configured bios to select uefi usb to run OS install

new build would not boot on original SSD, same BSOD error

created an OS restore USB using MS tools

ran the OS create from the USB and went thru all the options, but appears that the OS was loaded onto the old SSD, but I thought (maybe incorrectly) that I selected the new SSD 

OS installed and never asked me for my license key

pc seems to be working

i will look at the drives and find the new windows install to be sure where it is

read this and see I messed up the order of events a bit. Tried to boot on old SSD before changing bios to boot on the usb

Edited by Audit16

Audit16    2

Almost done!!!  OS did load in the nvme SSD, windows 10 took my license key, recognized all the ram and getting 4K from my old video card. All that is left is to figure out sound (I have a very old speaker set) and setup motherboard WiFi.

and did not lose any of my old data

thanks for all the help!!!

jim

Audit16    2

Sound working, WiFi working. All is good. Super fast boot, processing and shutdown

• Like 2