Stop post screen from displaying for so long? Asus Strix x570-f

cacoe

I've set fast boot to be enabled, I've set the post screen to display for zero seconds.... it still shows for 3-5 seconds, my old mobo would almost instantaniously skip it (it would flash up for maybe 0.5s so you could still actually enter bios if required).

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Mockingbird

Some motherboards just have really long POST time.

Check to see if a newer BIOS has resolved this issue.

cacoe
13 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Some motherboards just have really long POST time.

Check to see if a newer BIOS has resolved this issue.

Na, on the latest already, I guess it just does take that long to post.

Hit the power button, it's like 5-8 seconds just blank screen, the mobo leds go through there usual cycle as expected, one of them goes white then the screen lights up, 4 seconds of boot logo and then windows loads. I mean, with the upgrade I just did, the windows load time is like 2 seconds to desktop, just wanted to shorten this bit if possible because the net difference.... is about the same as before. Why do I care so much? Because it's just nice to see a major improvement with an upgrade after 6 years, and I definitely do see it, but oh well :D

Mindovermaster
1 hour ago, kalkal said:

Na, on the latest already, I guess it just does take that long to post.

Hit the power button, it's like 5-8 seconds just blank screen, the mobo leds go through there usual cycle as expected, one of them goes white then the screen lights up, 4 seconds of boot logo and then windows loads. I mean, with the upgrade I just did, the windows load time is like 2 seconds to desktop, just wanted to shorten this bit if possible because the net difference.... is about the same as before. Why do I care so much? Because it's just nice to see a major improvement with an upgrade after 6 years, and I definitely do see it, but oh well :D

It might be something you have attached to your computer that it is trying to boot from.

Do you possibly have BOOT order set to the correct SSD? It could be booting to something else first, and taking that 5 seconds to try and boot something else.

cacoe
On 2/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, Mindovermaster said:

It might be something you have attached to your computer that it is trying to boot from.

Do you possibly have BOOT order set to the correct SSD? It could be booting to something else first, and taking that 5 seconds to try and boot something else.

I've turned off the boot logo to see whats happening behind, no totally normal and nothing else is bootable (nothing else is attached that can be booted from)

I had this answer from a different forum -

"Ryzen does take longer to boot than Intel systems, it has to initialize the AGESA first (i.e. the CPU and memory) before the normal BIOS process."

• Like 1
nekrosoft13

x570 boards do take longer. 

On my gigabyte board, latest bios did significantly decrease the time, its less than 2 seconds on post now.

goretsky

Hello,

Have you checked with your video card manufacturer to make sure that it has the latest firmware installed?  Depending upon their terminology, it may be called a BIOS or a UEFI option ROM, OpROM, or option module.  Typically, manufacturers do not make these available for direct download, so you have to contact support and open a ticket to check.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.25
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files. With Ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly. You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them. Both Legacy BIOS and UEFI are supported in the same way. Most type of OS supported (Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...)

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released Changelog:

Add image list plugin. Notes Optimization for Linux vDisk boot in Legacy BIOS mode. vtoyboot-1.0.1 release Notes Support different themes for Legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode. Notes Fix bug for VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE in TreeView mode when VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT was set. New iso support:

kali-linux-2020.3-installer-amd64.iso (Legacy + UEFI) Download: Ventoy 1.0.25 | 7.2 MB (Open Source)
      Link: Ventoy Home Page | Project Page @GitHub

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.24 [Update]
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files. With Ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly. You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them. Both Legacy BIOS and UEFI are supported in the same way. Most type of OS supported (Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...)

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released

Changelog:

Make VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE avaliable in both ListView mode and TreeView mode Add VTOY_TREE_VIEW_MENU_STYLE option in global control plugin Change the default resolution to 1024x768 Pass ventoy runtime parameter to OS by ACPI table Fix issue #521 (blackarch 2020.06.01 boot fail) Fix issue #516 (archlinux 2020.10.01 boot fail in UEFI mode) Fix issue #512 (file with name .iso) Fix Parabola EFI booting (PR #508) Fix a bug when booting VentoyLiveCD iso New iso support:

blackarch-linux-live-2020.06.01-x86_64.iso (Legacy + UEFI) archlinux-2020.10.01-x86_64.iso (Legacy + UEFI) GeckoLinux_STATIC_Mate.x86_64-152.200726.0.iso (Legacy + UEFI) fossapup64-9.5.iso (Legacy + UEFI) Changes in v1.0.24:

Disable Pass parameter by ACPI table feature introduced in 1.0.23 by default. It's not compatible with Windows 7/8 and will cause error. Fix apt mirror bug when install Debian series distros New iso support

debian-10.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso (Legacy + UEFI) debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso (Legacy + UEFI) Download: Ventoy 1.0.24 | 7.2 MB (Open Source)

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases a patch to force enable HP Battery Health Manager on some HP PCs
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft is releasing a minor update for HP business PCs that fixes a configuration issue in the HP Battery Health Manager tool in the BIOS. The Redmond firm and HP worked to address this configuration issue in HP’s ProBook and EliteBook line of laptops, with the fix now rolling out with under KB4583263.

The Battery Health Manger in the BIOS helps the laptop manage battery charging patterns to avoid overcharging that could result in the swelling of the battery or overall degradation. However, this setting had to be turned on manually and set to ‘Let HP Manage My Battery Health’ by users. This update changes that and enables the configuration by default. The manufacturer adds that the tool in the BIOS has been updated with “new and improved charging algorithms”.

The update is rolling out to business PCs running Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 Update) or newer. HP has listed all the devices that will be receiving the update in a post here. The list includes 400 and 600 series ProBook, 700, 800, and 1000 series EliteBook laptops, ZBook models, and more devices including some retail thin clients.

Users of these devices can check for updates on Windows Update to see if the release is being offered to them. Additionally, users can also head to the Update Catalog here to download the update package manually depending on their Windows 10 versions. Microsoft also notes that the update installation will not require a system restart.

Source: Microsoft, HP via Born’s Tech

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.22
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released

Changelog:

Add Linux vDisk boot plugin (install linux distro into a vhd/vdi/raw file and boot with Ventoy), see Notes Change the check policy when Ventoy is running on a partition which is not created by Ventoy2Disk Add disk signature to Ventoy os parameter structure Fix bugs in Ventoy2Disk.sh for install Ventoy on NVMe disk Fix a bug with error message null src bitmap in grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled Add VTOY_SORT_CASE_SENSITIVE in global control plugin Optimization for boot Manjaro series distros New iso support: mAid_v2020-09-15_11-40_x86_64_forgetful.iso (Legacy + UEFI) Download: Ventoy 1.0.22 | 7.2 MB (Open Source)

• By indospot
      ASUS introduces the ZenBook S with a 3:2 display and Ice Lake processors
      by João Carrasqueira

This week is the week of IFA, one of the very few - if not the only - major tech events that's still taking place despite the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, a number of announcements are coming through, and ASUS has a couple of their own, as reported by The Verge. The company today introduced the ZenBook S laptop and the ZenBook Flip 13 convertible, both powered by Intel's Ice Lake processors.

Aside from shipping with up to an Intel Core i7-1065G7, the ZenBook S comes with up to 16GB of RAM and 1TB of PCIe-based storage. The biggest improvement over the previous generation seems to be the display, though, ditching the 16:9 aspect ratio in favor of a 3:2 screen with a resolution of 3300x2200. The Verge's report doesn't mention the screen size, and the laptop hasn't shown up on ASUS' website, but assuming the form factor is similar, it might be close to 14 inches. The previous model had a 13.3-inch 16:9 display. That display also covers 100% of the DCI-P3 color space, and is Pantone-validated, so color accuracy shouldn't be an issue.

In terms of connectivity, there's two Thunderbolt 3 ports that can be used for charging, a USB Type-A, a microSD card slot, and HDMI out. There's no headphone jack, though the laptop ships with a USB Type-C to 3.5mm adapter, and that has an ESS digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Also in the box is a 65W charger that promises to charge the 67Wh battery to 60 percent in 49 minutes. With a fully charged battery, the ZenBook S should last 14 hours on battery power.

ASUS also introduced the ZenBook Flip 13, a convertible that also comes with Intel's Ice Lake processors, and up to 16GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD storage. It has a less exciting 13.3-inch Full HD display, and as far as ports go, it's pretty much the same setup as the ZenBook S.

The ASUS ZenBook S will only be available at Costco and the Microsoft Store, and the price has yet to be revealed. The ZenBook Flip 13, however, is already available for preorder. The base model, with a Core i5-1035G1 (meaning there's no Iris Plus graphics) and 8GB of RAM costs $899.99 on Amazon and B&H Photo. The top-tier model with a Core i7-1065G7, 16GB of RAM, and an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, is $1,199.99, and it's also on Amazon and B&H Photo, though Amazon doesn't seem to be letting you make preorders for this variant yet.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.