• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New cellphone time, I am considering a Pixel, any other suggestions welcomed

Recommended Posts

Joe User    504
2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have decided on a Pixel 3A XL, the reviews are really good and I found a good price on it.

Good call, I think you'll enjoy it.

 

If you have 'phone drop anxiety' here's a great case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRMDD49

 

I use one for my Galaxy S9+ it's handled a fall onto concrete with zero issues. Ugly as heck though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658
11 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Good call, I think you'll enjoy it.

 

If you have 'phone drop anxiety' here's a great case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRMDD49

 

I use one for my Galaxy S9+ it's handled a fall onto concrete with zero issues. Ugly as heck though.

 

Thanks for the recommendation, I have a degree of 'phone drop anxiety' so I will most likely grab that case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firey    4,153

Glad you went with the Pixel series as they are solid devices., though I have not read OR heard good things about the 4. I own a Pixel2 and it's probably been my favourite phone that I've ever owned. The monthly updates and updates to every new version has been amazing. 

 

That said, I am due for renewal in a week and am strongly considering making the switch to iPhone. Based on what I have seen, and read, you just aren't going to get the support/updates from anyone outside of Apple and Pixel devices.  I've NEVER owned an iPhone and have had Android since Froyo so would be a big jump,  but since I always buy new devices (<1 year old at time of purchase)  (just what I do) the price/performance, unfortunately, as it stands is in Apples corner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,876
15 minutes ago, firey said:

That said, I am due for renewal in a week and am strongly considering making the switch to iPhone. Based on what I have seen, and read, you just aren't going to get the support/updates from anyone outside of Apple and Pixel devices.  I've NEVER owned an iPhone and have had Android since Froyo so would be a big jump,  but since I always buy new devices (<1 year old at time of purchase)  (just what I do) the price/performance, unfortunately, as it stands is in Apples corner.

I'm in that same boat. I just don't feel we get the same quality or support from the android scene anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658
20 minutes ago, firey said:

Glad you went with the Pixel series as they are solid devices., though I have not read OR heard good things about the 4. I own a Pixel2 and it's probably been my favourite phone that I've ever owned. The monthly updates and updates to every new version has been amazing. 

 

That said, I am due for renewal in a week and am strongly considering making the switch to iPhone. Based on what I have seen, and read, you just aren't going to get the support/updates from anyone outside of Apple and Pixel devices.  I've NEVER owned an iPhone and have had Android since Froyo so would be a big jump,  but since I always buy new devices (<1 year old at time of purchase)  (just what I do) the price/performance, unfortunately, as it stands is in Apples corner.

All the reviews I found on the 4's were basically telling me to stay away! The 2's and 3's seem to be the best so far, so I am really looking forward to getting my phone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firey    4,153
Just now, Brandon H said:

I'm in that same boat. I just don't feel we get the same quality or support from the android scene anymore.

In a weird way.. I almost feel like it's the Windows vs Linux of mobile. 

 

Android is Linux, it runs on anything and everything. You get support mostly from the hacker community and you may or may not get updates the work on your device. There are a billion things running it and many different versions of it and custom "distros". You are more at the mercy of the hardware than the OS and if you want updates it's on you to do most of the time. You may get a solid device.. you may not.

 

Apple Devices are like Windows.  It runs on specific hardware and there is basically 1-3 supported versions at any given time and has a community of users for specific versions. You get no real freedom unless you hack away at it or write your own stuff.. but basically at the mercy of the OS and it just works. You don't control updates other than what you decide to upgrade to. 

 

While I know it's not 100% accurate.. that's just sort of how I feel in the current state of OS/Devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658
1 minute ago, firey said:

In a weird way.. I almost feel like it's the Windows vs Linux of mobile. 

 

Android is Linux, it runs on anything and everything. You get support mostly from the hacker community and you may or may not get updates the work on your device. There are a billion things running it and many different versions of it and custom "distros". You are more at the mercy of the hardware than the OS and if you want updates it's on you to do most of the time. You may get a solid device.. you may not.

 

Apple Devices are like Windows.  It runs on specific hardware and there is basically 1-3 supported versions at any given time and has a community of users for specific versions. You get no real freedom unless you hack away at it or write your own stuff.. but basically at the mercy of the OS and it just works. You don't control updates other than what you decide to upgrade to. 

 

While I know it's not 100% accurate.. that's just sort of how I feel in the current state of OS/Devices.

That is an interesting way of looking at things, but where does Windows Phone fit in? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firey    4,153
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

All the reviews I found on the 4's were basically telling me to stay away! The 2's and 3's seem to be the best so far, so I am really looking forward to getting my phone!

As I say, I love my 2. The predicament I am in.. is that to upgrade to a 3 isn't really worth it for me as it's not a major jump from my 2 and not enough to warrant a new 2 year contract.  So right now I am weighing just staying with my 2.  The Battery is great, OS runs amazing, has all the features I need.  The reason for going to iPhone would be 100% because I like new things :p

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

That is an interesting way of looking at things, but where does Windows Phone fit in? :D

BeOS.   It exists... people use it... it never took off :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658
Just now, firey said:

As I say, I love my 2. The predicament I am in.. is that to upgrade to a 3 isn't really worth it for me as it's not a major jump from my 2 and not enough to warrant a new 2 year contract.  So right now I am weighing just staying with my 2.  The Battery is great, OS runs amazing, has all the features I need.  The reason for going to iPhone would be 100% because I like new things :p

How about just buying a new phone outright? I found mine on eBay for less then Amazon was selling them for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firey    4,153
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

How about just buying a new phone outright? I found mine on eBay for less then Amazon was selling them for.

Honestly.. if I am going to spend the money for a device and still keep the plan I am on.. it doesn't make sense to spend (arbitrary number here) 600$ for an unlocked device that's a couple generations old, when I can pay 200-400$ for a current gen device that is just an in-place upgrade.

 

It's a bit different too as I am on a corporate plan through work, so I will never get a plan as cheap as what I have for what I get.. even with BYOD options so I'd be with them regardless of if my phone is out of contract or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658
6 minutes ago, firey said:

Honestly.. if I am going to spend the money for a device and still keep the plan I am on.. it doesn't make sense to spend (arbitrary number here) 600$ for an unlocked device that's a couple generations old, when I can pay 200-400$ for a current gen device that is just an in-place upgrade.

 

It's a bit different too as I am on a corporate plan through work, so I will never get a plan as cheap as what I have for what I get.. even with BYOD options so I'd be with them regardless of if my phone is out of contract or not.

Makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Topham Hatt    353

Sorry to jump on this.

 

Looking for a new phone for the wife.

 

She was on iPhone until I gave her my OnePlus 3T (I got a Huwawi P30 Pro).

 

I was thinking the Pixel line of phones but clearly the 4 isn't the way to go. Worried the 3 will be too old by now?

 

I'd rather not be charged for having a Samsung name, although I am a bit open to them.

 

The main drive is a good camera.

 

I love my camera and was thinking perhaps getting a P30 Pro for her too?

 

I'd rather give my details to the Chinese than Google to be honest... eek!

 

I did wonder about the OnePlus 7T, but my 3T was slow with updates. I put a custom rom on it but don't really want to start messing about with that again. The P30 is fine for me without a custom rom.

 

Hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jnelsoninjax    14,658

I bought the Pixel 3A XL, and really like it, it is fast and responsive, and does everything I need. I had looked and the reviews for the Pixel 4 line were really bad, most ended by saying don't waste your money on it!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.