War of the Worlds (2020 - Epix)

Anyone else watching this?  I'm fascinated by it (I've always loved War of the Worlds) and I think it's really well done.  The focus on the humans and less on the aliens is great.  It's suspenseful, thrilling and when we do get our glimpses of the aliens, I find it to be pretty freaky as well... I'm not ashamed to admit that I think I'm going to have nightmares about it.  

They are 3 episodes in and it airs on Sunday night.

Also: sorry if there is another thread for this already... I did a search but the site's search function doesn't like me (never has, to be honest...)

if that's the BBC series that came out last year then prepared to be disappointed. The first episode was good but it went down hill fast after that

59 minutes ago, Som said:

if that's the BBC series that came out last year then prepared to be disappointed. The first episode was good but it went down hill fast after that

Yeah... I haven't even bothered to watch episode 3 yet...

1 hour ago, Innervisions33 said:

Anyone else watching this?  I'm fascinated by it (I've always loved War of the Worlds) and I think it's really well done.  The focus on the humans and less on the aliens is great.  It's suspenseful, thrilling and when we do get our glimpses of the aliens, I find it to be pretty freaky as well... I'm not ashamed to admit that I think I'm going to have nightmares about it.  

They are 3 episodes in and it airs on Sunday night.

Also: sorry if there is another thread for this already... I did a search but the site's search function doesn't like me (never has, to be honest...)

The original 50's movie and the audiobook series from the 80's (which I borrowed from my Dad at the time) also had far less focus on the aliens and more on the humans, with only glimpses of the aliens. As far as I can recall the 50's movie didn't show an alien fully at all. The Tom Cruise movie version turned that on its head with full reveals and wasn't very faithful to the original in that regard.

I'll have to give it a look :) 

13 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

There are two lol (BBC) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001226/ and (FOX) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/ both got poor reviews.

I'm talking about the one listed as Fox here, though in the United States it airs on EPIX.  It is getting very good reviews from what I've gathered with a Google news review.

I know it aired early in Europe (not sure which countries), but I can't fathom (3 episodes in...) how it got bad reviews.  It's been great so far.  

1 hour ago, Innervisions33 said:

I'm talking about the one listed as Fox here, though in the United States it airs on EPIX.  It is getting very good reviews from what I've gathered with a Google news review.

I know it aired early in Europe (not sure which countries), but I can't fathom (3 episodes in...) how it got bad reviews.  It's been great so far.  

Yeah it was on FOX here in Europe but I didn't view it at the time. I still have to start watching His Dark Materials lol, so behind on some shows.

19 hours ago, Som said:

No, it's the EPIX series (Fox in Europe).

18 hours ago, Steven P. said:

The original 50's movie and the audiobook series from the 80's (which I borrowed from my Dad at the time) also had far less focus on the aliens and more on the humans, with only glimpses of the aliens. As far as I can recall the 50's movie didn't show an alien fully at all. The Tom Cruise movie version turned that on its head with full reveals and wasn't very faithful to the original in that regard.

I'll have to give it a look :) 

Yes, great point about the 50s movie... an absolute classic.  But while it didn't focus much on the organic aliens other than the basement scene, it did focus heavily on the ships and the human battle against them.  The sound of their lasers will forever haunt my mind.  

Hmmm... I might try and see if I can watch it, but I'm already having some red flags from the trailer. Being that War of the Worlds is one of my favorite novels it's always been difficult to stomach any other rendition due to them being somehow compelled to make it in modern times which forces them to change a lot more of the plot to accommodate it.

2 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Hmmm... I might try and see if I can watch it, but I'm already having some red flags from the trailer. Being that War of the Worlds is one of my favorite novels it's always been difficult to stomach any other rendition due to them being somehow compelled to make it in modern times which forces them to change a lot more of the plot to accommodate it.

I know that feeling. IMO, the ONLY rendition of WotW that has ever done is ANY justice at all, is Jeff Wayne's musical version; which stayed as faithful to the source material as I believe it's possible.  Is it too much to ask for a movie to do the same? We don't want to see some other writer's interpretation of the story, we want to see the ORIGINAL author's version portrayed in a movie, unchanged as much as possible!

The BBC's version last year did so very well in 95% of episode 1, then it went downhill in episode 2 so badly that I've not bothered watching episode 3...

• Steven P. unlocked this topic