Attempting to get a microphone to work inside Windows 10

My niece needs to record her (verbal) responses to an online school course that she is doing, and for some unknown reason, the microphones that we have do not want to work in windows. The newest one is specifically designed to record podcasts and is a USB powered device, the other one has the 2.5 mm plug that plugs into the sound card. Both are being detected in windows, but when attempting to do the test, nothing is received, and at one point got an error message stating that the recording device could not be opened, however, there is nothing else on the system that would be attempting to access the mic, and I, and my BIL, are totally baffled as to what is causing this issue. The build in troubleshooter (Piece of S***) says it can not detect anything wrong... when I checked the device manager, nothing shows up with a bang (!), and the input device(s) show up when plugged in. What else can I do to troubleshot this and/or fix it?

uninstall or reinstall ?

clean the connectors or connections ?

remove from device manager and add again ?

check microphone privacy settings ?

check in sound control panel to see if the device or devices is disabled ? to see if it is default device ? to see if it is not muted ?

check, update, or reinstall audio driver ?

system file check ?

8 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

My niece needs to record her (verbal) responses to an online school course that she is doing, and for some unknown reason, the microphones that we have do not want to work in windows. The newest one is specifically designed to record podcasts and is a USB powered device, the other one has the 2.5 mm plug that plugs into the sound card. Both are being detected in windows, but when attempting to do the test, nothing is received, and at one point got an error message stating that the recording device could not be opened, however, there is nothing else on the system that would be attempting to access the mic, and I, and my BIL, are totally baffled as to what is causing this issue. The build in troubleshooter (Piece of S***) says it can not detect anything wrong... when I checked the device manager, nothing shows up with a bang (!), and the input device(s) show up when plugged in. What else can I do to troubleshot this and/or fix it?

Check the privacy settings.

Settings > Privacy > Microphone.

Ensure that Microphone access for the device is on.

Allow apps to access the Microphone and scroll down and check that desktop apps can access  the Microphone (from 1903 on).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Allow apps to access the Microphone and scroll down and check that desktop apps can access  the Microphone (from 1903 on).

Thanks! I did not know about that setting, I will check it!

Another thing to check, in the 'classic' control panel, Sound settings, check that the Microphone level is turned up, and isn't muted

image.png

5 hours ago, Vince800 said:

That was the whole problem! Thanks for the help!

23 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

That was the whole problem! Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. I've come across this with an external user before who was trying to use Teams on their own laptop.

I just find it funny that the build in troubleshooter did not catch this issue, you would see that it would check that...

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I just find it funny that the build in troubleshooter did not catch this issue, you would see that it would check that...

it probably has not been updated for that.

all the troubleshooters ... seem dead.

48 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

it probably has not been updated for that.

all the troubleshooters ... seem dead.

Yeah that makes a degree of sense, then again I can not recall a time that the troubleshooter fixed anything for me.