Help me understand this logic

macoman
15 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So if I understand what is being said, CDMA networks are going to have the issue like I am having, but GSM will not?

I am curious why you choose a CDMA NVMO over a GSM NVMO? I use H20 which is a GSM NVMO and I don't have any issue with the internet and talking at the same time.

+jnelsoninjax
7 minutes ago, macoman said:

I am curious why you choose a CDMA NVMO over a GSM NVMO? I use H20 which is a GSM NVMO and I don't have any issue with the internet and talking at the same time.

I had no idea what type of carrier it was, only that is was compatible with my phone :/ had I known I needed to check all these behind the scene stuff, I would have!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
PGHammer
On 10/03/2020 at 14:01, jnelsoninjax said:

I am considering going to Xfinity Mobile for the same price each month, and they use Verizon, so IDK if that would be any better.

I do not have that option, so it might be like @Brandon H said, something they don't offer to the NVMO's

I also checked, and I am paid up until the end of June, but honestly I have no qualms leaving early.

That limitation is on MOST carriers - the unsurprising exception (and entirely due to John Legere) is T-Mobile.  What Legere did as T-Mobile CEO was toss a lot of the PITAs that were common with carriers.  Normally, I would have had no issue with Verizon Wireless, except for one rather nasty quibble; they hated/loathed/despised AOSP - and that was all the way back to Marshmallow (Android 6).  I get why - low-end technical support geeks; the problem is that AOSP was where Android advancement showed up FIRST.  Safelink Wireless is a Universal Lifeline MVNO that is owned/operated by Tracfone (and was just acquired by Verizon Communications); however, Tracfone has MVNO contracts with other carriers - including T-Mobile - including me.  (In fact, I'm in my third year withe the UnCarrier's tower network.)  I moved to T-Mobile because - unlike Verizon Wireless - T-Mobile could care less what firmware my phone ran.  I'm on my second AOSP-capable smartphone (the first was - rather oddly - an ex-Verizon Galaxy Nexus that I had no issues moving to the UnCarrier).  I'm curious what will happen with Tracfone's non-Verizon MVNO contracts - especially on the Universal Lifeline side - as I know quite a few folks there like the freedom that Tracfone's tower network gives them vs. Verizon's tower network.  (That was why I moved, after all.)

adrynalyne

@PGHammer STOP DREDGING UP OLD THREADS!!!!

PGHammer
On 10/03/2020 at 16:00, jnelsoninjax said:

I had no idea what type of carrier it was, only that is was compatible with my phone :/ had I known I needed to check all these behind the scene stuff, I would have!

Because that limitation doesn't matter - and it didn't with the Galaxy Nexus when it came down to LTE - which supported both GSM and CDMA.  LTE - as a technology - was *independent* of the previous GSM/CDMA split - and begat something called the universal chipset - first published by Qualcomm.  GSM's advantage was price (over CDMA); CDMA's advantage was signal reliability (over GSM).  GSM (because of the price advantage) won big in Europe, Latin America, and the Indian subcontinent; CDMA, on the other hand, was the choice of Verizon and Sprint (both in North America).

The reason for the hate of LTE was not the end of the GSM/CDMA feud - but that the only publisher of universal firmware was Qualcomm - the very idea of a "Qualcomm monopoly" stuck in a lot of craws.

PGHammer
7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

@PGHammer STOP DREDGING UP OLD THREADS!!!!

Then stop ignoring what those SAME threads mean in terms of current events!

That is, in fact, the only reason why I dredge them up in the first place - they are relevant.  (If they were irrelevant, I would not bother.)

Director Fury

Does Cricket WIreless allow data download while on a phone call? I am looking at buying an LG Stylo 6.

+jnelsoninjax
4 hours ago, PGHammer said:

Because that limitation doesn't matter - and it didn't with the Galaxy Nexus when it came down to LTE - which supported both GSM and CDMA.  LTE - as a technology - was *independent* of the previous GSM/CDMA split - and begat something called the universal chipset - first published by Qualcomm.  GSM's advantage was price (over CDMA); CDMA's advantage was signal reliability (over GSM).  GSM (because of the price advantage) won big in Europe, Latin America, and the Indian subcontinent; CDMA, on the other hand, was the choice of Verizon and Sprint (both in North America).

The reason for the hate of LTE was not the end of the GSM/CDMA feud - but that the only publisher of universal firmware was Qualcomm - the very idea of a "Qualcomm monopoly" stuck in a lot of craws.

Interesting, I had not heard about this feud as you refer to it as. I am very happy with my Xfinity Mobile service, everything works like it is supposed to, the only issue I had was when sending MMS I had to force the phone to go to LTE in order to send it, but they have since fixed that issue, and for what I am paying ($15 /month) for two lines (my niece and myself) and we share 1 GB of data, and have yet to go over.

PGHammer
18 hours ago, Director Fury said:

Does Cricket WIreless allow data download while on a phone call? I am looking at buying an LG Stylo 6.

As long as they support AOSP 9 or AOSP 10 (both of which - depending on the firmware - support VoLTE), they do - that is something I have been doing with various AOSP 10 firmware via VoLTE.

Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon Wireless as a background; however, there are some advantages to Xfinity Mobile compared to using Verizon Wireless directly other than price - mainly because you get unlimited access to the Xfinity hotspot network at no extra charge - and that is a LOT of hotspots.

• Thanks 1
Director Fury
On 21/09/2020 at 13:10, PGHammer said:

As long as they support AOSP 9 or AOSP 10 (both of which - depending on the firmware - support VoLTE), they do - that is something I have been doing with various AOSP 10 firmware via VoLTE.

Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon Wireless as a background; however, there are some advantages to Xfinity Mobile compared to using Verizon Wireless directly other than price - mainly because you get unlimited access to the Xfinity hotspot network at no extra charge - and that is a LOT of hotspots.

Okay. How would I be able to tell if I have this, since I ordered the phone. When it comes to PC's I know a few things, but when it comes to phones I'm as newbie as newbie can be. :(
PS: I'm no coder or programmer.

PGHammer

Take a peek at what or how you are connected.  if the connection says LTE, you're using a tower; if it says anything else, you're using a hotspot (and therefore, aren't getting billed for data use).  Due to VoWifi and VoLTE (two AOSP features) you can use hotspots for voice AND LTE data - as opposed to being stuck using LTE for either.

• Thanks 1