• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

5.1 surround not working in Chrome

Elliot B.    1,653
Posted (edited)

I downloaded this YouTube video in both MKV and MP4 formats using 4K Video Downloader and MediaInfo confirms both contain 6-channel AAC LC audio.

The downloaded files, when played in PotPlayer v1.7.21126 (released in February 2020), definitely contain separate channels. It worked perfectly as intended.

However, when I play the video in YouTube (highest quality available; 1080p) in Google Chrome v80 (released in February 2020), I only get stereo (or fake surround - the rear channels play primarily through the front speakers).

Same issue in Internet Explorer 11.719.18362 and Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.

Windows is set up correctly as, as I said, PotPlayer played the individual channels in the downloaded video file fine and all games work in surround as they should.

Any ideas?

Edited by Elliot B.

Elliot B.    1,653
20 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Have you tried the following?

https://superuser.com/questions/820845/how-to-get-5-1-audio-in-google-chrome

enable chrome://flags/#try-supported-channel-layouts

The flag no longer exists in Chrome v80 and adding it does nothing, unfortunately.

Circaflex    3,582

tried adding this to the shortcut?  --force-wave-audio

Elliot B.    1,653
On 3/19/2020 at 11:41 PM, Circaflex said:

tried adding this to the shortcut?  --force-wave-audio

Also depreciated :(

Brandon H    3,511

I did a bit of googling and the following is the most recent relevant page I've found

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/21248703?hl=en

some say having both --disable-audio-output-resampler --try-supported-channel-layouts flags on their shortcut works and others say none of the flags work so it appears it's hit/miss or google is breaking something with the flags with each update.

unfortunately you may just be out of luck in the web browsers. you could see if Firefox supports audio channels properly.

Elliot B.    1,653
3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I did a bit of googling and the following is the most recent relevant page I've found

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/21248703?hl=en

some say having both --disable-audio-output-resampler --try-supported-channel-layouts flags on their shortcut works and others say none of the flags work so it appears it's hit/miss or google is breaking something with the flags with each update.

unfortunately you may just be out of luck in the web browsers. you could see if Firefox supports audio channels properly.

Nope, no change :( Depreciated in v80, I feel.

+Zlip792    495

As suggested by @Brandon H, this is the latest solution which seems to work for people as old as 6 days ago.

I think you should give it another try but force closing all Chrome instances via Task Manager (assuming that you are using Windows) and then adding the flag in the Target field on Chrome shortcut properties (via Alt + Enter).

image.png

--try-supported-channel-layout

Once added, double check via chrome://version that the flag is working.

Further, with Chrome 79, the Google has added another Sandbox to move "Audio Component" out of process.

You can disable to check around whether it works fine after it or not:

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23003477?hl=en

via Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome
reg:dword AudioSandboxEnabled = 0

via flag (in shortcut):

--disable-features=AudioServiceOutOfProcess

It could be that Chrome's new sandbox feature is not compatible or supported with Windows multi-channel sound API or third party driver. So it is worth it to try again.

You should try these things:

1) Disable Out of Process features - try without other flag (sometime flags get deprecated because Google assume them to be ready to ship without any flag)

2) Try with multi-channel flag (by force closing all Chrome instances)

3) Disable Out of Process features with the multi-channel flag

Elliot B.    1,653
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2020 at 11:30 PM, Zlip792 said:

As suggested by @Brandon H, this is the latest solution which seems to work for people as old as 6 days ago.

I think you should give it another try but force closing all Chrome instances via Task Manager (assuming that you are using Windows) and then adding the flag in the Target field on Chrome shortcut properties (via Alt + Enter).

image.png

--try-supported-channel-layout

Once added, double check via chrome://version that the flag is working.

Further, with Chrome 79, the Google has added another Sandbox to move "Audio Component" out of process.

You can disable to check around whether it works fine after it or not:

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23003477?hl=en

via Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome
reg:dword AudioSandboxEnabled = 0

via flag (in shortcut):

--disable-features=AudioServiceOutOfProcess

It could be that Chrome's new sandbox feature is not compatible or supported with Windows multi-channel sound API or third party driver. So it is worth it to try again.

You should try these things:

1) Disable Out of Process features - try without other flag (sometime flags get deprecated because Google assume them to be ready to ship without any flag)

2) Try with multi-channel flag (by force closing all Chrome instances)

3) Disable Out of Process features with the multi-channel flag

I only have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

However, I did try closing Chrome and using:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --try-supported-channel-layout --disable-features=AudioServiceOutOfProcess

Still not working 😞