Odd display issues with just working PC

So I have a weird issue on a computer that has been running just fine for the better part of 2 years. I recently went to go clean out my PC and check to see if my RAM is seated correctly and after getting everything reconnected I'm getting a few odd occurrences. 

-No display

-a few peripherals (keyboard, mouse, audiobox) are acting like they aren't receiving power. I didn't mess with any of the connections besides my RAM, anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

If more than one stick of RAM, then try booting with only one stick inserted. If you haven't already, try booting without any peripherals or displays connected.

4 minutes ago, zhangm said:

If more than one stick of RAM, then try booting with only one stick inserted. If you haven't already, try booting without any peripherals or displays connected.

Still no display. It powers up just fine with the extra ram and peripherals removed, but I'm still getting no display. I also have an HDMI and DP cable I'm swapping between to test the cable and I'm getting the same result.

I would google the name / model of your motherboard along with orange and red light. Also give us the motherboard model too.

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I would google the name / model of your motherboard along with orange and red light. Also give us the motherboard model too.

Googling around now, and it's an Asus strix Z270F

3 minutes ago, Heartsatyr said:

Googling around now, and it's an Asus strix Z270F

CPU is red, RAM is yellow, VGA is white, and HDD is green. ... have you tried reseating the cpu?

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

CPU is red, RAM is yellow, VGA is white, and HDD is green. ... have you tried reseating the cpu?

Well I just resteated the ram and now I'm not getting the CPU light, just the RAM light

1 minute ago, Heartsatyr said:

Well I just resteated the ram and now I'm not getting the CPU light, just the RAM light

for kicks try a different ram slot.

alright so I just took the other stick of ram I wasn't booting with, plugged it in the opposite way in the 3rd slot, and now its working just fine. Any reason this might be the case?

For clarity I was running 2 sticks of RAM in the 1st and 3rd slot

3 minutes ago, Heartsatyr said:

alright so I just took the other stick of ram I wasn't booting with, plugged it in the opposite way in the 3rd slot, and now its working just fine. Any reason this might be the case?

Test each slot until it won't turn on. It is possible to have a bad ram slot.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Test each slot until it won't turn on. It is possible to have a bad ram slot.

I might have to do some ram testing, my computer isn't reading one of my sticks even though it was doing so prior to the cleaning

So after some testing of swapping the ram around in both right-side up and upside down variations, I've come to the realization that I still don't understand what's happening. So they only work if both sticks are in with different orientations. One has to be right-side up in the 3rd slot and the other has to be upside down in the 1st slot just to boot, but one stick still isn't reading. I'm not sure if it's a motherboard issue or a RAM issue.

1 hour ago, Heartsatyr said:

So after some testing of swapping the ram around in both right-side up and upside down variations, I've come to the realization that I still don't understand what's happening. So they only work if both sticks are in with different orientations. One has to be right-side up in the 3rd slot and the other has to be upside down in the 1st slot just to boot, but one stick still isn't reading. I'm not sure if it's a motherboard issue or a RAM issue.

What do you mean by "Upside down"?

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

What do you mean by "Upside down"?

Yeah, memory only goes in one way...

2 hours ago, Heartsatyr said:

For clarity I was running 2 sticks of RAM in the 1st and 3rd slot

What do you mean plugged in the other way? Only 1 way!

2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

What do you mean plugged in the other way? Only 1 way!

Umm, 3 times the charm? :rofl: