• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Coronavirus - Share your thoughts!

thechronic    186
Posted (edited)

First of all i hope you're all doing well. This virus has affected so many and while some are doing okay there are still many finding life difficult at the moment and worrying about what the next few weeks or even months will bring!

So far for myself things haven't changed too much. One job has cancelled (i'm Self-Employed) and there is the worry that other jobs may soon cancel or be impossible to complete. To be honest i'm not overly bothered by the financial side though. I can like most of you, cope with less money or even none for a shortwhile. My biggest worry and concern is greed. I'm tired of seeing empty shelves because hundreds have descended on the local store or the supermarket and bought everything in sight. I wish i could say it was just panic but the truth is, selfishness is the only thing that is motivating those who are hoarding and putting the rest of us in a difficult position. More to the point, i don't understand why more isn't being done to control the situation. 

It upset me a little today when my friend's girlfriend called and said the shops were packed and there wasn't much left when she's pregnant and they have two children to care for already. It made me sad when my grandmother who remembers World War 2 and has experienced poverty wonders out loud why people are being so selfish when they used to be so 'good to each other' during the war. I'm not saying she's remembering those times 100% accurately but why are we seeing people fight over food or worse toilet paper when there are elderly people and young families that need our support and kindness. 

Finally i do worry about my own children. When you bring a family into this world or love someone (partner, friend, relative etc) it hurts to think that they might be scared or uncertain. Schools have just closed here in the UK and it feels we are on the cusp of what some countries are going through - total shutdown perhaps or at least a reduction in freedom in order to fight this virus. 

Stay safe guys! 

• Like 1

jebus197    19

Well. It seems people have even stopped commenting on Neowin. Maybe it really is the end of the world.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,908

Wasn't there a thread already on this...

zhangm    1,361

Well, there's a lot of more global-scale discussion here:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1391634-wuhan-coronavirus-covid-19?do=getNewComment

My county's on SIP with a solid several hundred new instances daily. In general I haven't been greatly affected since my workplace is excluded from the shutdown order, but I have avoided going out to stores, public places where people congregate etc, except when absolutely necessary.

jebus197    19
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Wasn't there a thread already on this...

No apparently not. Not anybody just asking how anyone else was doing. There's the Wuhan Coronavirus thread, but that's a bit more general. The OP here clearly just wants to know how everyone is and how they are dealing with things? My impression is that everyone is too busy sitting on top of their massive hoard of food and toilet paper to bother with anything like 'community' any more. But whatever I guess.

'Hey, how are you?' has been replaced by 'stay the **** away from me! Maybe you have the virus! I would rather get the virus (and recover, as the vast majority of us would) than live this **** excuse for what some people might still refer to as a life. But hey, ho, I guess.

Edited by jebus197

techbeck    7,181
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jebus197 said:

No apparently not. Not anybody just asking how anyone else was doing. There's the Wuhan Coronavirus thread, but that's a bit more general. The OP here clearly just wants to know how everyone is and how they are dealing with things? My impression is that everyone is too busy sitting on top of their massive hoard of food and toilet paper to bother with anything like 'community' any more. But whatever I guess.

Doing ok myself.  I had a little issue with a coworker being out sick and coming in contact with his GF would tested positive for COVID.  Luckily he tested negative and after 4 days or so, I was able to go back to work today.   Luckily I can work remotely and my income was not changed.  My job is considered essential.

Currently I am watching over my 95 year old grandfather.  I shop for him, take care of his household needs as well.  My dad came back from TN a week ago after helping to rebuild after a tornado.  They had COVID down there so he is isolating himself for 2wks.  1wk to go.   So I am doing what I can for my parents as well as siblings who are without jobs or had their hours/pay cut.  I buy what I need and a little extra.   That is it.  I am more than happy to give what I need to those who need it more. 

And like I said in the other COVID thread, I encourage everyone here to do what they can for their friends, family, or just someone you see who needs assistance.  Only way to get through this tough time is to come together and ignore the negativity and pessimism being spread around.

Take care, be safe, and watch out for yourself and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jebus197    19
3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Doing ok myself.  I had a little issue with a coworker being out sick and coming in contact with his GF would tested positive for COVID.  Luckily he tested negative and after 4 days or so, I was able to go back to work today.   Luckily I can work remotely and my income was not changed.  My job is considered essential.

Currently I am watching over my 95 year old grandfather.  I shop for him, take care of his household needs as well.  My dad came back from TN a week ago after helping to rebuild after a tornado.  They had COVID down there so he is isolating himself for 2wks.  1wk to go.   So I am doing what I can for my parents as well as siblings who are without jobs or had their hours/pay cut.  I buy what I need and a little extra.   That is it.  I am more than happy to give what I need to those who need it more. 

And like I said in the other COVID thread, I encourage everyone here to do what they can for their friends, family, or just someone you see who needs assistance.  Only way to get through this tough time is to come together and ignore the negativity and pessimism being spread around.

Take care, be safe, and watch out for yourself and others.

I'm very glad to hear that.

ThaCrip    684

that cuts through a lot of BS surrounding COVID-19 etc from a doctor who's above the typical doctor.