Solar Power finally kicked off today.

Wasn't sure where to put this.. But with all the bad stuff going on, finally something good.. Been waiting for PTO (permission to operate) for a while now.. Finally kicked in, first day of production..

solar.thumb.jpg.0de1c5687353f760eec051358ddc8631.jpg

Has been cloudy all morning, but look's like starting to clear... Very curious what first day of production will end up as, etc..

Anyone else running solar - I did a search and didn't really find any threads discussing..

• Like 3

I ENVY YOU.

Although my house is North/South facing I don't have enough place on the south side to erect enough panels to make viable. I have to save up and build up the first floor with a proper roof first because my windows on North and South take up a lot of the roof space as shown here:

0.jpg

On the south it is across the entire width, but panels still can't be added onto the small flat part of roof above the windows. 

Yeah I believe your electric cost is about double what we pay her in the US as well.. I pay about 12 cents per kwh.. So yeah solar would very effective as cost savings if you had the space..

12 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah I believe your electric cost is about double what we pay her in the US as well.. I pay about 12 cents per kwh.. So yeah solar would very effective as cost savings if you had the space..

Correct, I just checked and I am paying € 0,20 kWh.

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

You could always move to bigger house with better roof for solar 😉 hehehe

Need a few more people to subscribe to Neowin before I can do that 😛 

So day 1 was 27.91 kwh total, day 2 37.61

And comed data for first day showed up on site finally... They are normally 24 to 48 hours behind..   And looks like made 8 kwh more than used for day 1.. So that is a credit to my account..

solarpower.thumb.jpg.c4518a86196ce902acd0d039f668237c.jpg

Will give me something to keep an eye on during this lock down that is for sure.. Already started a spreadsheet to track day to day trends 😉  Here is graph from first 2 days of production.

production.thumb.jpg.35ce7c676921a6c30ef0063f28f22aed.jpg

You can see where the clouds came in and cut production.. Since the shape of the curve changes... Cloudy days are not only going to be gloomy now, they are going to be costing me money 😉

• Like 2

What kind of panels did you get? Also what size/many? My Dad has been looking into this for years. Now that we have a new house, I feel it is the time to do it. I was looking into it also, but I don't have 100,000 hiding anywhere...

Though, tbh, upfront, it will cost a bit, but what you get from it down the road is mind boggling.

(I mean, you could give me money, you know... LOL)

The system is 22 panels

Hanwha Solar Q.PEAK BLK-G5 315w, with SolarEdge P320 OPTIMIZERS

The inverter is SolarEdge Technologies SE7600H-US000BNC4

Didn't cost me anything out of pocket, its a lease.. While I would of purchased since that is best bang for the buck.  Wife was pretty serious she didn't want any out of pocket money..  So showed here how this going to lower her monthly bill, even with the lease cost..

My current calculations I will save about $300-400 first year in electric cost.. Last 2 years I have spent $1500 a year in electric..  The higher electric goes, the more I save.. My only concern would be if for whatever reason the cost of electric dropped 😉  When has that ever happen...   Even if I only end up saving $200 first year, still zero out of pocket cost..  So wife couldn't argue about saving money, even if only a few hundred a year.  She didn't have to do anything, other than the panels on the roof - there is nothing different..

• 2 months later...

So being start of day 94 of solar thought I would update this - even if nobody looking..  3 billing cycles have have completed.. You can see the huge drop in what paying comed..

comed.thumb.jpg.081559d3aa51a51acb764e97a85191fd.jpg

$16 per month to comed, this is just the cost of having a connection.. There has been no cost for electric used, since have produced more than used.. Currently I have 474 kwh rolled over.. So going into 2 biggest months for me jul and aug.. Have reserve even if can not produce what I consume next couple of months... If these next few days in June can stay sunny on track to hit 1Mwh for the month.. That is pretty slick if you ask me ;)

Need to avg 31 kwh per day for the next 6 days, for june sofar running at 33.9 kwh avg per day..

Current calculations work out to $336 savings from last year total cost..  While its not a huge amount, sofar leasing seems like a viable option to me for anyone wanting save a few bucks..

• Like 4

This might be something I may look into for my grandmothers house... though her wiring would require an update to code >.<

What is the average outdoor temperature in your area @BudMan? Our average is in the 90's, and of course it does not help that we live in a mobile home with only window A/C units!

I would say mid 80's  But doesn't matter if it was like 72 ;)  Wife keeps the house at 69 during the day, and at night 66..  Air will be a running during the Summer that is no doubt...

44 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Wife keeps the house at 69 during the day, and at night 66..  

Are you married to the Snow Queen? Is she afraid of melting or something?

• Like 1

You will understand when your wife is going through that part of her life ;)  She is mid 50s - her body temp goes nuts...

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

So just to close this up with an update 1 year after install.

System performed as predicted first year.. Estimated total production for year was 8241.497 kwh.. And my data shows 8263.87

And we had some bad snow this year, where I had panels completely covered for 18 days in 1 stretch..  With multiple other days where production was in the dirt..

Even taking the current yearly average of 22.5 khw per day.. Just that one stretch equates to 400 some KWh not produced in those 18 days..  That could of been another 50$ in savings for the year..  So while I didn't hit my estimate of 300$ savings for doing the solar lease.. I did hit 200 if you take total money sent to electric company last year vs what I spent in lease payments and money sent to electric company this year.. And if you average what spent previous 2 years before solar, since year before was a low year because we were not home for well over a month in the hot summer months where AC would of been blaring saved $332 this year.. And doing my part for the planet..   I would take these numbers with a grain of salt, but they show that 8Mwh that I produced equates to like 6765 lbs of coal.. 

So while for sure in the long run will save more money if you purchase your system.  With lease I have zero worry of failure of system.  And it was zero out of pocket.. And well solar is cool - it has become of my daily routine looking at how the system is performing.. And I love to look outside and see a nice sunny day, even more so than normally..

And sure my savings also cut by the stupid rollover policy of the net metering here in IL.  This month I produced 313 KWh more than I used - but any excess I have built up will zero out in April.. Vs just carry over..  Make no sense - it should just continue to rollover.. . As you can see from the below graph - the excess I created over the spring, summer and early fall was not enough to cover my electric usage in the snowy months..

elec-cost.png.c0bea8d6882efcfe02489efe4d1e8c09.png

So far happy with choice of going solar, even though really would of much rather purchased system vs lease - this was only way I could get it past the budget committee (wife).  Zero up front, and monthly outlay would go down.. Which it has..  Here is hoping for a banner solar year, with less snow next year and better production over summer to be able to better cover next winter... hoping for a 2 year actual money spent savings of +500..

My math on total consumption of KWh the past year is higher compared to what I used the previous year.. I calculate that I actually consumed some 13 Mhw..  While previous year to going solar was only about 11..  So in actual $ saved if had not gone solar I do believe pushing $500.  So I am pleased with the outcome in the first year.

Doesn't sound like you have batteries.  Do you?  Is that something you can add in the future or are you just happy with what you have?

I've been interested in it since I watched a few videos of Thomas Massie attempting to go "off grid" with his panels and batteries from a Telsa.  Love the tech behind it all and the idea that you won't need to rely on a generator or electric company for power.

I need a new roof and college debt gone before I can even think about this. 

No batteries.. Grid tied.. Yeah if grid goes down - I am down.. Since solar kicks off when grid is missing.  To do the whole battery thing, they are not cheap..

In a perfect world sure.. I would do battery system, so at night your pulling off your battery vs from the grid.  And yeah if grid goes down, you still would have power..

You would need system that is over sized for your consumption in such a scenario I do believe.. Because you need to be able to put excess into the battery during the day and then pull it out overnight.  Because of size of roof, stuff on roof. Dish, etc. Just not able to put enough panels up to total cover my consumption anyway.  Without using the north side of the house - and then you loose efficiency  ..  System only sized for 8Mhw a year, while 2 year average I do 11 Mhw..  And while stuck home, and now working form home prob full time.. Yeah that consumption is only going to go up.

While system does produce enough to be able to charge battery most days.  Total system output for the year is not enough to cover my total yearly consumption.. Freaking snowy IL ;) And rain, clouds, etc.  While I would love to produce enough to cover all my consumption.. And plenty of battery to store up for night and rainy days, etc.  Just not something that was cost effective for my scenario - that could for sure be different for many people depending on their overall consumption, their geographic location but also the orientation of their house and roofing to be able to deploy the panels..

But yeah solar is just slick tech for sure - and yeah would really be nice to be completely able to provide power if grid was completely offline..  In case of complete collapse of infrastructure, say the zombie apocalypse or something  - I would think prob could rig up something to have power during the day ;)

Also laws and regulations are different all over - for example her in IL.. You can not put in a system that produces more than 110% of your previous consumption numbers I do believe.. I am really curious how the tech will change and the laws as well 10 some years from now..  Be it this was a good financial decision in the long term, time will only tell.. Its quite possible with more an more solar - the electric company may actually end up lowering their rates.. And then 10 years from now might be paying more for the lease then what would be if just pulling from the grid.. Either way - its fun, and tech is slick..  And at least this first year I did save some money ;)

Wow! Hadn't seen this topic before but some fascinating stats there. Been thinking about looking into this but just been to lazy. Now that I see some stats from something other than a commercial, I just may have to get off my butt!

Didn't know you could lease this stuff.

Happy to answer any questions.. Yeah thread hasn't gotten much traction - been a year.. So have some real data to know what can expect, etc.

My PEAK production for a day was..  45.894 Kwh, peak hour production was 6.76 Kwh..

They've been showing some stats on local news channel about amounts of solar power and wind power that have been generated daily lately which has gotten my interest perked up on this again. Even wife has mentioned that it might be worth checking into.