There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Solar Power finally kicked off today.

What part of the world you in?  You would think lots of sun would be best, but really if it gets real hot not all that good because efficiency of the panels go down when hot.. Best is cooler weather but sunny.. Had a great day on the 19th of this month with 44.73 KWh.. 

Do you know how much electric you use in a year?  And what you pay per KWh?

Here is a good site where you can get some estimates of what you could produce depending on your location and size of system you put in, etc.

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

Not sure if you were replying to me, but I'm in West Michigan, right by Lake Michigan. Doesn't get ridiculously hot. Probably about same temps as you get. Going to have to look up yearly usage and check that link.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just to update in case anyone at all has interest..

Been a couple of months past a year now..  And have uploaded all my generation to https://pvoutput.org

Seems pretty slick for tracking your production and comparison of others with sim sized installs and in the same region of the world as you.  I am liking the trend in year 2 so far where first 2 months have surpassed last years production. And last 3 months this year has exceeded estimate of production.

solar.png.33484497927ea5c6332bcfdbbb635be6.png

Another useful tool I found for estimating what your system should produce for size and location, etc. https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

And I hit a new all time high production day on 5/29/21 of 51.544 kWh..

I believe the increase in production for Apr and May this year could be partly due at least to my neighbor having cut down a tree that was casting shade on portion of panels in the early morning.  If I can maintain my current average for june so far I will surpass estimate this month as well and easy break the 1000 kWh mark.   Sure hoping either produce more excess over the summer and fall this year than last year, or we have a sunny winter for 2021..  Ended up using way more electric than produced in Jan and Feb.. And did not have enough rollover to cover..

Another fun milestone is broke 10 MWh, Lifetime Total 10.70 MWh

• Like 4

So @BudMan what are your monthly expenses with solar? Do you ever have a period that you have to buy power from the grid?

so this has been my costs for the last year with comed

cost.png.fcba00494c98f0aba31715448d8e8919.png

There is a cost for just being connected to the electric company.. Last year it was like 16$, but looks like it has gone down to like 14.50ish this year..  Some sort of credit?

So for example here is my bill from last month

bill.thumb.png.38b06c4901a8060d0bcb3305ef92904e.png

You can see how much I sent to the grid, and how much I pulled from the grid... Since I sent way more than I used this month.  That sits in my account, rolled over - so if I do not produce as much as I use next month I have that many kwh saved up to pay for what I used in the month(s) I do not produce as much as I use.

I don't have a battery so always pull from grid at night.  And if cloudy, rainy, snow etc.. and not producing as much as using then yes it pulls from the grid.

As I mentioned in a previous post - in the first year I saved a few hundred from the year before..  If you add up total cost of solar and what paid electric company.  Now time will only tell if was a good choice for the long run, since I didn't buy my system I leased it.  Not your best choice for most bang for your buck economically that is for sure, but it was zero out of pocket cost.. I saw it as just locking into a specific cost for electricity, for the time of the lease.  So from my point of view I hope electric costs go way up ;)  so will be saving more money.   And not have to worry about any cost for repairs if something breaks..

But I am happy with choice so far - now will I still be happy in a few years?  Not sure - if electric costs drop into the dirt then might not be a good choice..  But the system running is not my problem, so don't have to worry about that.  And if doesn't produce what they say it should produce - then they have to pay me the difference.. So I saw it as a way to lock in price of electric and not have to worry.  And pretty much lock my monthly cost to a flat cost every month..   Before summer months were killers, I have had a bill well over 200$ for a few months in the summer.  Hoping this year I build up more of a rollover to for the winter months.. ###### thing is April 1 they zero your account.. I had 300 some kwh extra in march this year, but they zeroed that out.. Bastards! ;) I think your roll over should just continue to rollover the electric company zero'ing that out is BS if you ask me.  Or have a more sunny days this winter..

I would of preferred to have just bought the system outright.. But budget committee (wife) wouldn't let me..  So this was a way to get to play with solar without any out of pocket costs.. 

Happy to answer any questions you might have - just ask.

Keep in mind that other states or other regions of the world - how they deal with net metering or solar users could be way different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to do solar, but I live in a mobile home and it would not be practical (and more than likely not allowed) but it is great to see what you have.

11 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

(and more than likely not allowed)

Why is that?  While manufactured homes don't always have the roof strength for your typical solar panels.  You could always install on a different structure - car port maybe?  Or ground based.

If your interested - you can look into.  Worse case is yeah its a no.  Shouldn't cost anything to look into.

Do you own the structure?  Do you own the land its on?  Seems if its double wide and built after 1980 depending on the region it might be possible from quick google.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Why is that?  While manufactured homes don't always have the roof strength for your typical solar panels.  You could always install on a different structure - car port maybe?  Or ground based.

If your interested - you can look into.  Worse case is yeah its a no.  Shouldn't cost anything to look into.

Do you own the structure?  Do you own the land its on?  Seems if its double wide and built after 1980 depending on the region it might be possible from quick google.

We own the home, but not the land, that is why I said what I said, plus this home is close to 30 years old and has lots of problems including the roof.

Yeah then other than say some sort of diy setup that is not grid tied your prob out of luck.  There are ways to setup a few panels with batteries that could be use to run some of your stuff.. Like say the AC or the fridge, etc.

They do sell stuff for RVs - have to assume if an RV roof can handle the panels, a manufactured home could as well.

I am sure there is prob better pricing - but something like this you could prob get away with.

likethis.thumb.png.4fc4ef8b0b61956ef5bf79090540e0d9.png

On 24/03/2020 at 17:49, Steven P. said:

Although my house is North/South facing I don't have enough place on the south side to erect enough panels to make viable. I have to save up and build up the first floor with a proper roof first because my windows on North and South take up a lot of the roof space as shown here:

0.jpg

On the south it is across the entire width, but panels still can't be added onto the small flat part of roof above the windows. 

Quick update and quoted for context. I found a company that was willing to lease me panels across the space on my extension (5 meters by 3.50 meters flat roof) and 4 meters by 1 meter flat roof above the southern facing 1st floor windows, but that space only allows for 6 panels and (roughly calculated) I would need 8 for my energy use, heh so I didn't go ahead with it.

But wouldn't 6 out 8 be a big offset.. My panels do not by estimations cover my yearly usage either.  But offset is offset.. Even if only 75% that should help in your yearly cost.  And good incentive to reduce your consumption ;)

Even a reduction in cost of 75% of your what you use is still overall cost savings.

Bills for 2 years before I put in I used about 11MWh each year..  My system is only estimated to produce like 8.5MWh per year..  While that is not 100% it is a big chunk of it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

But wouldn't 6 out 8 be a big offset.. My panels do not by estimations cover my yearly usage either.  But offset is offset.. Even if only 75% that should help in your yearly cost.  And good incentive to reduce your consumption ;)

You are right and it was based on 300KWh/month (I work from home) you also have to realize that different solar panels have different yields. I have had to listen about companies who have claimed their rivals are using tech from ten years ago which has a lesser yield and requires an extra panel or whatever 😛  Then there are companies that claim to have ze best technology 😛 

Because I haven't had an offer of panels that can account for 100% of my use and possible return to the grid, it makes no sense for me. I can already buy green energy here (and I do).

8 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I can already buy green energy here (and I do).

But does that cost less than producing your own power?  If doing my math correctly, from what I sent to the grid, and what I pulled from the grid and the total produced last month 992kWh.. I actually consumed 610kWh..

My house is mostly electric though. Stove, oven, cloths dryer, dishwasher  And have freezer and beverage frig in the garage.  And TV is on most of the day with my wife being home.  Not forgetting all my extra IT toys.. While I try and be frugal about power there.. I have cut power down a lot compared to a few years back with my IT toys..  Most of my lights are LED..

But pretty sure you pay more than I do for electric.. EU prices for electric are typically higher than say what I am paying. By a pretty good margin.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

But pretty sure you pay more than I do for electric.. EU prices for electric are typically higher than say what I am paying. By a pretty good margin.

You are right, I did move to a new company from January 1 so I got a little better deal

Day tariff (09:00-23:00): € 0,20785 kWh

Night tariff: (23:00-09:00) € 0,19575 per kWh

Gas tariff: € 0,72801 per m³

I was paying € 0,22 per kWh flat rate (day and night) which meant I got a little better deal than the split tariff from my previous contract with a different company.

Gas is really expensive here and as a result the government is trying to get people to move to water pumps, which in its current state is far too expensive and noisy from what I've heard.

I have airco on the ground floor of my house and I messed around using that to heat my house in the winter but it really sucks, it's either too cold or too hot, (I spent days and days trying to get it right) it really is only good for cold conditioning. I might give it another try and use it for assisting only, like set it at 17C or 18C so the gas heating has less work to do, maybe that's the way to go to save some cash.

I even had the people out that installed the airco, and they told me that the temp gauge for heat isn't as accurate for cold conditioning, yay then!

Just out of curiosity.. Does that 0.20 euro cost include delivery, etc..

Let me call up old bill.  While they say the "electric" cost is 0.07487 per kWh.. Delivery cost and being a customer charge, and taxes.. It works out more to like 13 cents per kwh..

Here is old bill from 2019 summer before went to solar.

bill.png.66a2e5b9e2f1157d2e22c53705497fe5.png

If you take the actual bill and divide by how many kWh you actually used it works out to $0.132 per kwh..  185.61/1406

So they say their electric is cheap at only 7 cents per kwh, but its BS plain and simple..  Curious if EU is the same sort of BS.. Or do they just charge you for the kwh used and that is it..

So while the electric was only $105, another $68 to get it delivered ;)   then taxes on top of that, etc.

7 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Just out of curiosity.. Does that 0.20 euro cost include delivery, etc..

Nah I have to pay €7.98 for the delivery of gas and electric (€3.99 each) that is a fixed amount which includes the lease of the meter etc.

So no extra taxes - or just being a customer charge ;) Just to be a electric customer its $12 a month here.  Be it you used zero still get charged that.  Gas is another charge.

Problem I have is while they list out what electric costs per kwh for every state, etc. etc.  Its difficult to compare - because you don't know what other charges are being levied in these other states.  And you can look up per kwh rates for other parts of the world, etc.. But they do not include the other details of what the actual bill is.

So for your 300 kWh you would pay like 70 euro total. So if you used the 1400 kWh I used in july 2019 your bill would of been like 312 euro..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

So no extra taxes - or just being a customer charge ;) Just to be a electric customer its $12 a month here.  Be it you used zero still get charged that.  Gas is another charge.

Problem I have is while they list out what electric costs per kwh for every state, etc. etc.  Its difficult to compare - because you don't know what other charges are being levied in these other states.  And you can look up per kwh rates for other parts of the world, etc.. But they do not include the other details of what the actual bill is.

So for your 300 kWh you would pay like 70 euro total. So if you used the 1400 kWh I used in july 2019 your bill would of been like 312 euro..

Here you have to set a fixed monthly, which is kind of dumb.. some people use it as a savings pot and purposely set it high. Mine is at €141/month right now which also includes gas. I think I will be alright with that amount, I'll look into more detail once June bill is in so I can compare the first six months of usage with last year.

Also, yeah the tariff and delivery includes taxes.

>some people use it as a savings pot and purposely set it high

Just set it at 1 euro.. And then pay them at the end of the year ;)  Why should you let them float any funds?  I doubt they pay you interest on extra money they are holding..