• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Video card upgrade for Intel I7 7700 or bigger upgrade to AMD Based System once again

Recommended Posts

bikeman25    71

Hello All

 

Trying to save money for video card upgrade for my Asus G11CD-K Desktop with Intel I7 7700,  16gb of ram,  Nvidia 1050 2GB,  Samsung 860 Evo 250gb, and Western Digital BLack 1tB,    WIth The Government stimulus money coming debating if i should go for a 2060 Super if i can swing it, or 1660 Super, and continue using the I7,  or try to opt for hopefully custom built AMD Ryzen 7 3700X,  16gb of ram,  5700XT video,  Motherboard with PCI-e 4.0,  m.2 slot for future m,2 based solid state boot drive,   

 

The Intel still works good for all my current programs, but being on disablity and limited money, if i can swing it with the extra money coming hopefully by May,   gotta make a decision on which one time big or small upgrade is best for the future in terms of my gaming needs,  basic web browsing, music listening, and video watching,  not too much video editing as of right now,  Decisions, Decisions lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason S.    1,540

stick w/ the 7700. it's still great. hell, im using a 4770k w/ my RTX 2080, and it's still fantastic. The CPU is only about a 10% bottleneck. w/ your 7700 there probably is zero bottleneck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sinetheo    586
26 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Hello All

 

Trying to save money for video card upgrade for my Asus G11CD-K Desktop with Intel I7 7700,  16gb of ram,  Nvidia 1050 2GB,  Samsung 860 Evo 250gb, and Western Digital BLack 1tB,    WIth The Government stimulus money coming debating if i should go for a 2060 Super if i can swing it, or 1660 Super, and continue using the I7,  or try to opt for hopefully custom built AMD Ryzen 7 3700X,  16gb of ram,  5700XT video,  Motherboard with PCI-e 4.0,  m.2 slot for future m,2 based solid state boot drive,   

 

The Intel still works good for all my current programs, but being on disablity and limited money, if i can swing it with the extra money coming hopefully by May,   gotta make a decision on which one time big or small upgrade is best for the future in terms of my gaming needs,  basic web browsing, music listening, and video watching,  not too much video editing as of right now,  Decisions, Decisions lol

 

If you have limited income and we are about to have a time of economic downtown I would hold off any upgrade. If you decide to upgrade the best value would be an rx 570. Until last week I owned one. For $145 you get 1060 performance. Issue is AMD drivers while being 10 years ahead of Nvidia in terms of features where you don't need msi afterburner they are not as reliable. The new AMD Navi 55xx GPU drivers are utter ###### the Polaris series are fairly stable. Expect 100 fps in older titles and 60 fps new. A very good upgrade and cheaper than the 1660 super.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,506

I would just upgrade the GPU.

 

Now, I haven't been able to find the exact specs on this particular PC ... but looking at some images it doesn't appear you'd have to worry about the GPU not fitting (seems like there is ample space).  

 

I do not know the wattage of the PSU ... but you may need to replace it.  This could be better determined when we know what GPU you've decided on and what the current PSU wattage is. It appears to be standard ATX.

 

....but yea, I would just upgrade the GPU vs. building a whole new system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)

I would upgrade the video card first and upgrade the processor/motherboard later.

 

You will also need to upgrade the power supply.

 

Luckily, your motherboard uses regular 20-pin ATX power instead of a proprietary connector, so switching out the power supply should be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeman25    71

Power supply have inside right now is EVGA 650 Watt G3 Modular Power supply, so thats all set i think

 

yeah think will just upgrade the video card in the Intel I7 7700 and do a whole upgrade in maybe 2-3 years 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
3 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Power supply have inside right now is EVGA 650 Watt G3 Modular Power supply, so thats all set i think

 

yeah think will just upgrade the video card in the Intel I7 7700 and do a whole upgrade in maybe 2-3 years 

 

When I said "later", I mean months from now, not 2-3 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,908
15 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I would upgrade the video card first and upgrade the processor/motherboard later.

 

You will also need to upgrade the power supply.

 

Luckily, your motherboard uses regular 20-pin ATX power instead of a proprietary connector, so switching out the power supply should be easy.

Yeah, he should be fine with a 650W... He's not getting a 2080...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)

Here is a good deal:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: *MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Evoke OC Video Card  ($272.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $272.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 15:20 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, he should be fine with a 650W... He's not getting a 2080...

 

He didn't specified what he had.

 

I thought he has the stock OEM power supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,506
5 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

When I said "later", I mean months from now, not 2-3 years.

 

Bogus.  His 7700 is more than capable for the next several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Just now, Jim K said:

Bogus.  His 7700 is more than capable for the next several years.

With only 4 cores?

 

I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,908
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Here is a good deal:

 

<snip>

You ever read his first post? He wants a 2060 Super, not a RX 5700....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,506
17 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Power supply have inside right now is EVGA 650 Watt G3 Modular Power supply, so thats all set i think

 

yeah think will just upgrade the video card in the Intel I7 7700 and do a whole upgrade in maybe 2-3 years 

 

What is your intended budget for the GPU (assuming not the whole $1200 check...ha)

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

With only 4 cores?

 

I doubt it.

His CPU is fine...and no, I'm not going to argue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeman25    71
Posted (edited)

Well budget probably max $300,  i don't really wanna spend the whole $1200 if i don't have to for PC upgrade lol.      CPU fine for time being i do feel,  when it comes time for a new game that requires 6-8 cores, then hopefully i have the money then to do the full upgrade,   gonna just start saving some each month hopefully

 

Then whatever money i got left,  then invest in some Gaming Laptop upgrades possibly as well maybe if i don't spend it all on the Desktop lol

 

Then Save if i can whats left, and do a bigger upgrade in approxmiately 2-3 years or sooner depending on funds might be best way to go about things

 

 

Edited by bikeman25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,506

$300...hmmm. Not sure you'll be able to get a 2060 Super with that.  You might be able to find a non-Super 2060.  The AMD 5600xt would also be around 300 (and is comparable to the non-Super 2060).  

 

Soooo...for 300 I would say either the non-Super 2060 or the 5600xt.  The 1660 Super would give good performance, but it is slower than the 2060 and 5600xt....but also 50-70 bucks cheaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeman25    71

Yeah well i can up the budget a bit if need be probably, just have to see what the card prices are when the money arrives,  and go from there think is best.    

 

Do have $150.00 Amazon gift card left as well from birthday that i haven't spent yet.       So might have that cover some of whatever card pick, probably EVGA some model i think at this point,  may up the budget to $400,  but yeah gonna pick something good in the end, that i'll be happy with 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,506
Just now, bikeman25 said:

Yeah well i can up the budget a bit if need be probably, just have to see what the card prices are when the money arrives,  and go from there think is best.    

 

Do have $150.00 Amazon gift card left as well from birthday that i haven't spent yet.       So might have that cover some of whatever card pick, probably EVGA some model i think at this point,  may up the budget to $400,  but yeah gonna pick something good in the end, that i'll be happy with 

 

Yea, with 400 you could snag a 2060 Super 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You ever read his first post? He wants a 2060 Super, not a RX 5700....

 

Yes.

 

Did you?

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeman25    71
Posted (edited)

2060 Super Primary Choice for upgraded video card,  1660 Super was secondary choice at beginning,    But thinking i can swing a 2060 Super most likely.     Resolution play games at 1920x1080, 1080P,  just purchased this upgraded monitor Christmas 2018,  so fairly new still,     Games played Battlefield 4,  American Truck SImulator,  Euro Truck SImulator 2,   Need For Speed Payback & GTA V as of right now

 

Then if comes a time i wanna run a game on the Laptop in the future,  and that one doesn't meet the requirements,  probably can use Steam in home streaming option, know i can't upgrade the Laptops video adapters,   but will the Ram in the future, M.2 SSD on the Laptop sometime,  and should be good i think

 

Thinking making wise decisions now i hope, and won't be wasting any money when it arrives 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)

5700_1.png5700XT_1.png

 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,908
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Yes.

 

Did you?

Again, Did you?

 

He's not looking at an AMD card. Though what we said, he's still sticking with the 2060/1660 Super.

 

Edit: Mockingbird, you are not helping the situation here.

 

Edit2: 1% difference isn't that huge, you know...

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Again, Did you?

 

He's not looking at an AMD card. Though what we said, he's still sticking with the 2060/1660 Super.

Yes, I did.

 

Clearly, you didn't.

 

2 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Hello All

 

Trying to save money for video card upgrade for my Asus G11CD-K Desktop with Intel I7 7700,  16gb of ram,  Nvidia 1050 2GB,  Samsung 860 Evo 250gb, and Western Digital BLack 1tB,    WIth The Government stimulus money coming debating if i should go for a 2060 Super if i can swing it, or 1660 Super, and continue using the I7,  or try to opt for hopefully custom built AMD Ryzen 7 3700X,  16gb of ram,  5700XT video,  Motherboard with PCI-e 4.0,  m.2 slot for future m,2 based solid state boot drive,   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,908
1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Yes, I did.

 

Clearly, you didn't.

 

 

Read his other posts? He isn't looking for a 5700 right now...

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,947
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Read his other posts? He isn't looking for a 5700 right now...

Which one?

 

Hmm???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeman25    71

5700xt  was if i chosen to do a whole system upgrade, which i decided against at this time,  as Intel I7 7700,  still a great processsor, still meets my needs,   2060 Super should get me thru a few more years,   ((as no idea how long it will take to save for a future upgrade of CPU/Motherboard, and that stuff at this time))     

 

 

Think will go for 2060 Super once money arrives,  get it ordered, installed, and should be fine with it for a while i think

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.