• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Motherboard query

aclarke_31    2

Hey Everyone.

Query please. Ive got some redundant hardware sat around doing nothing that I wanted to turn in to either a ESXi Server, or a unRaid / XCG Host. Can anyone recommend me a motherboard (UK preferably) that will take ECC registered DIMMS as Ive got 32gig of DDR3 lying around doing nothing ATM, or better yet, if you know where I can get a server from that can hold these DIMM modules that has virtualization enabled (VT-x).

I've also got a i3-6100 doing nothing at the moment. According to Intel, these chips do support ECC memory even though they're not for server usage.

Any help you guys can give would be awesome as always.

Thanks guys.

Mindovermaster    3,208

An i3 can't run ECC RAM... Only the Xeon family can do ECC. (AFAIK)

It's AMD that can use ECC throughout it's CPU's.

Mindovermaster    3,208
3 minutes ago, aclarke_31 said:

Dude, trust me. This chip runs EEC memory. Check Intels website if you don't believe me.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/processors/core/i3-processors/i3-6100.html

Maybe it's just the UK? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the server end. What's your budget?

aclarke_31    2

HAHAHA Yea wouldn't surprise me dude. I happen to have the exact chip (i3-6100) that I purchased when I built my PC (now an i7-7700k).

I was just as shocked when I checked Intel's website.

I've got the memory DDR3 ECC 10600R DIMMS @ 8gigabyte, so I wanna make sure that whatever I purchase, be a server or just a new mains board, the memory can be utilised.

I was looking at ctoservers.co.uk and was gonna look at purchasing either a Dell or a HPE. Not sure at the moment, but am willing to take any community advise in to account.

Thanks again @Mindovermaster

• Haha 1

Jim K    15,037

Are these regular DDR3 ECC modules?  The Intel 6th Gen only supports DDR3L (1.35v), LPDDR3 (mobile 1.2v not applicable to the desktop 6100) and DDR4 ... not DDR3 (1.5v).

Edit:  Plus, with these being older gen CPUs ... finding a motherboard that will take the 6th gen CPU + ECC ... you're probably going to be looking at spending a pretty penny.  Something like the Gigabyte X150M-Pro ECC ... Supermicro has motherboards which support consumer 6th gen processors and have ECC support.

Though, once again ... that DDR3 memory will not work.  You'll either have to buy some DDR4 or (if the motherboard supports it) DDR3L.

aclarke_31    2
Posted (edited)

That's a good question @Jim K. I've just double checked it against the part number for one of the stick and they aren't PC3L which I believe is low power server RAM.

OK, forget the chip, what server / motherboard could I mount these in?

The chip is about £60 ($80) roughly so I'm not too worried, but the server RAM set me back about 100 quid as I did have a server at the time I thought I could have put it in.

Part Number for memory is "HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9" 8gig @ 10600R PC3 (Dual Ranked x4).

https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR3+SDRAM&srnm=HMT31GR7BFR4C&rk=20&rc=module

Thanks guys :)

Jim K    15,037

Yea, so that memory is DDR3 ... so you will not able to use that memory with that CPU regardless of motherboard.

VDD=1.5V (1.425V to 1.575V)

https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR3+SDRAM&srnm=HMT31GR7BFR4C&rk=20&rc=module

I edited my prior post with a couple of ideas regarding motherboards.  tl;dr ... you'll probably be spending a pretty penny since it is an older gen motherboard you're looking for + you'll have to buy memory.

Edit again:  If you're looking at just using that memory ... you'll still run into the issue of it being older gen.  That Gigabyte X150 I mentioned earlier wouldn't work (requires DDR4).  Should be able to find a Supermicro w/ DD3 ECC support and then just have to find a CPU (and we're probably talking about 4th gen Intel CPUs)

aclarke_31    2
Posted (edited)

I dont need to buy the memory. I've got it sat in front of me 😛 LOL! 32gig's worth I can't do anything with cuz its server board memory, not PC based memory.

Well if you can recommend a server motherboard that can help Jim, that would be awesome. Now I know which supplier to get from I'll do some hunting, butI still would like a recommendation on what server mains board to use for it, just in case.

EDIT: I do have a spare i7-3770 sat round doing nothing as well, so if I go Supermicro (which I probably will), it should need to support 3rd Gen, 4th Gen chips :)

Thank you :)

aclarke_31    2
Posted (edited)

@Jim K / @Mindovermaster

Guys, what about this board from Supermicro? Would this be suitable?

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SAE

Granted it takes DDR3 ECC so that fulfils the memory requirement.

Just gotta find a second hand processor from Ebay I expect....

EDIT: I really need to find a 3rd gen board, as I've got a i7-3770 and an I5-3330S sat doing nothing as well.

Mindovermaster    3,208
Posted (edited)

That motherboard is socket 1150. I don't "think" your CPU version matches...

• Like 1

aclarke_31    2
Posted (edited)

No they won't I imagine. I think I'm gonna have to buy a new CPU chip. There's no possible combo for it to work from what I can tell, unless you guys can find anything.

Unless you guys can recommend a server combo that I can use for it instead?

Mindovermaster    3,208

There are cheap Dell/HP servers on eBay going for around $100 (USD) that have 1 or 2 Xeon CPUs and 16-GB of ECC DDR3/4....

• Like 1

Jim K    15,037

No...that board wouldn't work.  It only supports Unbuffered DIMM (UDIMM) ... whereas you have Registered DIMM (RDIMM).  Sorry, another wrinkle which I failed to mention before (I'm at work).

I would just toss the memory ... or use it for a paperweight.  DDR3 RDIMM isn't worth it (to build a system around)... 

Something like this would probably be compatible with your memory (a different CPU would be required ... good luck finding it)

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X9SRA

Probably would just be easier to build a small system around the i3-6100 (no idea if it would be good for "ESXi Server, or a unRaid / XCG Host") ... or look for pre-built systems from Dell and the like.

• Like 1

aclarke_31    2
Posted (edited)

Well this evening I put together an i7-3770k with 16gig of ddr3.

Systems running a basic licence of unraid and i have to admit, its very very good. Im starting to fall in love with docker containers for system services and find they are very very useful.

Anyone else making use of unraid?

Sorry but this topics shifting from hardware to software now i think......

Jim K    15,037

Probably wouldn't hurt to post your question (if you have a question) with respect to unraid in the software section.  I personally have never used it.

Mindovermaster    3,208
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Probably wouldn't hurt to post your question (if you have a question) with respect to unraid in the software section.  I personally have never used it.

I thought that'd go better in the Network section, but... whatever.

Daniel F.    676

If your happy to go a bit janky you can get a cheap chinese X79/X99 mobo (<$100) that will support older gen intel cpu's and ddr3 ecc mem - check out TechYesCity for lots of examples including which cheap (<$50) xeons to drop in them

You could get both for $100 or less

Daniel F.    676

Some examples

• Like 1

Jim K    15,037
6 hours ago, Daniel F. said:

If your happy to go a bit janky you can get a cheap chinese X79/X99 mobo (<$100) that will support older gen intel cpu's and ddr3 ecc mem - check out TechYesCity for lots of examples including which cheap (<$50) xeons to drop in them

You could get both for $100 or less

X79 does not support ECC registered DDR3 (it can support ECC unregistered DDR3) afaik...am I wrong? OP has ECC registered DDR3 modules sitting around.

X99 is DDR4

Daniel F.    676
5 hours ago, Jim K said:

X79 does not support ECC registered DDR3 (it can support ECC unregistered DDR3) afaik...am I wrong? OP has ECC registered DDR3 modules sitting around.

X99 is DDR4

These are none-standard design chinese built boards (hense the janky comment) - you can even get ones with NVME slots - which were never supported either 

Riva    1,309
12 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

These are none-standard design chinese built boards (hense the janky comment) - you can even get ones with NVME slots - which were never supported either 

So Intel didnt support ECC on the CPU and chipset yet these guys enabled it. I wonder what could go wrong.

I am sure i had nvme on my X99

goretsky    1,169

Hello,

Supermicro X11SAE series or X11SAT series, perhaps?  Oops, those support your CPU, but require DDR4.

Have you looked into getting an LGA-2011 CPU and C60x-based chipset motherboard?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Daniel F.    676
12 hours ago, Riva said:

I am sure i had nvme on my X99

X79 ;)

12 hours ago, Riva said:

So Intel didnt support ECC on the CPU and chipset yet these guys enabled it. I wonder what could go wrong.

Not allot apparently they have been tested to work. If you look online you can get whole bundles with the mobo, ecc ram and xeon(s)