• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Laptop acting strange after reaching 100% charge on battery

jnelsoninjax    13,809

My wife is now reporting strange behavior on the laptop that I purchased the new battery for, when it reaches full charge, it is apparently going to sleep as soon as it reaches 100%. I have remotely checked the power management settings, and I checked all the settings, so there is nothing that I can think of that is causing the issue. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Mindovermaster    3,176

You check the screensaver settings? I found this to be something that puts the computer to sleep, too.

Might want to try and wear that battery out, as in 0% power, and then recharge. See what it does then. Could be a fluke in the battery.

jnelsoninjax    13,809
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You check the screensaver settings? I found this to be something that puts the computer to sleep, too.

Might want to try and wear that battery out, as in 0% power, and then recharge. See what it does then. Could be a fluke in the battery.

Had not thought about the screensaver, I'll check that when I can, and I will have her do a full discharge and see what happens.

OK , she says that she lets the battery go down to ~5% at which time it shuts off, before she charges it.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

Mindovermaster    3,176
9 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK , she says that she lets the battery go down to ~5% at which time it shuts off, before she charges it.

Does she still get the 100% sleep issue?

jnelsoninjax    13,809
25 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Does she still get the 100% sleep issue?

Yes

Mindovermaster    3,176

OK, I'd look at the screensaver settings.

jnelsoninjax    13,809

No screensaver setup, nothing under the setting

Mindovermaster    3,176

Huh, might there be a battery setting for that? Been ages since I used Windows, lol...

+warwagon    13,737

maybe this .. found it on another site. While the battery says 100% maybe something is lost in translation and the laptop is getting the signal that it's dead.

Update: modified the power plan to do nothing when critical battery reached. This time the laptop did not shutdown. Instead I got the blue Windows message across the screen that the battery is critically low (indicated 0%). But, after a couple of seconds the warning disapeared and the battery level restored to 98%.

So, it seems the laptop does not like the new battery and sometimes looses the communication (as the message says). So, Going to replace the battery since I just got it. In the meantime, the fix is to stay with AC and set the power plan to do nothing in critical level.

• Like 1

jnelsoninjax    13,809
9 hours ago, warwagon said:

maybe this .. found it on another site. While the battery says 100% maybe something is lost in translation and the laptop is getting the signal that it's dead.

Update: modified the power plan to do nothing when critical battery reached. This time the laptop did not shutdown. Instead I got the blue Windows message across the screen that the battery is critically low (indicated 0%). But, after a couple of seconds the warning disapeared and the battery level restored to 98%.

So, it seems the laptop does not like the new battery and sometimes looses the communication (as the message says). So, Going to replace the battery since I just got it. In the meantime, the fix is to stay with AC and set the power plan to do nothing in critical level.

Very interesting, the battery is brand new, so I plan on checking the power management settings in depth and see if there is something else we might be overlooking.

jnelsoninjax    13,809

So I checked all the power management settings and they are all set correctly. There is no screensaver setup, and nothing else that I can possibly think that could be causing the issue.

+warwagon    13,737
39 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So I checked all the power management settings and they are all set correctly. There is no screensaver setup, and nothing else that I can possibly think that could be causing the issue.

so then in your power settings " critical battery reached" ...it's set to do nothing?

jnelsoninjax    13,809
2 hours ago, warwagon said:

so then in your power settings " critical battery reached" ...it's set to do nothing?

There is no option with that name

+warwagon    13,737
31 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

There is no option with that name

battery-actions.thumb.jpg.60189a25bb0d9651b64637e9ca777942.jpg

Do you se this? or is it missing from yours?

I checked my quickbooks computer which is win 10 laptop

image.thumb.png.dbe0d144796be9b9d9759845d7b50dc0.png

Jim K    14,983

Nothing in Event Viewer?  There should be a log ... for example mine ...

Capture.JPG

...and another one would be "Idle Timeout" (failed to capture it in a screenshot before I cleared my log).