• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WTF? - WinME CAN access NTFS

mortensen    0

I have got my hard drive converted to NTFS and my brother tried to access my hard drive and... he CAN. He is using WinME and I am using WinXP. Win2k and RC1 would ask for a password on the WinME machine and even then it wouldn't work but now it doesn't ask for a password and it can access my NTFS hard drive.

I thought Win9x machines COULDN'T access NTFS! And on all previous versions of NTFS it couldn't, but now it can.

Has anyone found this works for them?

Gott    0

:D *lol* :p

Perhaps somebody who speaks better English than me can explain this poor guy what?s going on ...

At least it has nothing to do with file systems.

On a computer the running OS controls the hard drive ... and of course as long as you grant acess to your HD in a network every other computer can acess your HD ... even Win95, Linux and OS/2 ... hehe ...

EmuZombie    139

or even a mac...

mortensen    0

Whenever I networked with NTFS it would put up a password prompt on the WinME computer and I don't have any passwords on my computer. This time when I TOLD WinXP to share it, it actually DID share it. Maybe I've just had bad in the past but it has never worked on Win2k or WinXP RC1. Also, in WinXP RTM they have changed the sharing system so you don't HAVE to go through a wizard just to share a hard drive... MUCH BETTER.

Sorry, most days I don't make much sense, but the above is what I was TRYING to say.

pctuk    0

so if I were to convert my drive to NTFS my other machine (networked using simple workgroup system) would be able to access it on the network? everyone i've asked has always said it wouldn't be able to which is why I've not yet taken the plunge. anyone know if this is true??

cheers

PM5K    0

I don't know if this has to do with NTFS or maybe Windows XP has finally got the sharing right... All I know is with 9X sharing was easy to setup.. On 2k when I tried to do it I would get asked for a passpword, and the only password on the system didn't work.. So it seems Windows XP has finally fixed, or made it easier to network between 9x and NT machines.....

Daysleeper    0

There are two forms of access in NT when you have NTFS drives. 1 is share level what has been seen since the days of LANManager. The other is NTFS, this provides file level access rights. So for instance if you share a whole drive with RW any networked computer can access the whole drive, but then you can go to each file and folder and using NTFS options set access levels for them.

I suspect your real question was how a 9X bos access NT ones.. well when you access something over the network the client never accesses the file directly it is served to them by the Re-Director on the box hosting the files.. hence any box can access any file system as the files are being read and sent to the client by the server box its self.

It get's complex when you use 9X and NT in a workgroup its possible to do by granting annon network access in the security settings but by default in NT this is disabled. What you need to do is install client for MS networks on the 9X box and use an account which exists on the NT box to log on. The NT box does not check the password it is checked by a local PAB file on the 9X box, but when you access the NT box over the network it will send these detail in the request and the NT box will grant the relevent access rights.... you often find when acccessing NT over a network that a password and user box will appear and it will not accept a user account although it exists on the NT box.. here you can tell it the account by putting either the Domain or Machine name before the user eg. Box1Administrator in the user box and the password for the account... this will enable the request to be authorised without logging th 9X box onto the network with an account...

FYI NT 2000 and XP all behave like this its, Microsoft Nertworking.. all that changed in 2000 and XP are the names for the services

LMAO hope thats enough for ya.. I can go on all day if you like

Glowstick    3

If the password of an account on a Win9x machine are the same like a same-named account on the NT box, you won't take notice. If the password of the same-named account is different, it asks for a password. If the account doesn't exist on the NT machine, it asks for a password but you're not going to gain access, since the account doesn't exist on the NT box.

I hope this is shorter.

I don't know about any ability in XP to share without password check, since I didn't try it yet.

mortensen    0

NEway, I'm REALLY happy that it's working now. Win2k and XP RC1 would mess me about asking for a password but NOW I just tell it to share and *shock horror* it DOES!

I've also noticed lots of small differences between RC1 and RTM. The process of burning to disk has changed (b4 it would convert a track and THEN burn it to CD and move on to the next - NOW, it converts all the tracks first and THEN burns to disk, which takes up more HD space :(); Explorer.exe takes up less RAM; sharing files is easier; NTFS (and all sharing) now works WITHOUT a password ; and many more things.