• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

External Hard Drive Issues

bikeman25    71

Ok bought a newer Vantec usb 3.1 3.5 inch enclosure with usb a 3.1 cable well A to C, and c to c one included.   Anyways while using my Seagate barracuda 8tb hard drive in it, started disconnecting alot.   So this morning switched back the 8Tb to old enclosure, and put another drive in 3.1 enclosure.

Except idiot me started a chkdsk on the 8tb as i wanted to make sure no bad sectors or anything,  except now says estimated 21 hours til finishes lol.   Is Desktop machine safe to use, or is it best i do most of my stuff on Laptop til Desktop done lol

Mindovermaster    3,160

MOST USB3 enclosures are set to power down while not in use. But is still mounted. Just needs to "wake up".

bikeman25    71

well the drive was in use when it disappeared, and showed error in Macrium reflect while using the 3.1 Enclosure,    So far working fine in USB 3.0 enclosure thus far.     Other enclosure it disconnected about 5 times before i decided to switch it to old one again.    Only way Desktop would see the drive again is if rebooted entire system

Mindovermaster    3,160

Did you try disconnecting the USB cord? Or just powering the enclosure on and off? (if it has power button)

Could be a bad controller board, USB cable, USB connector (on motherboard) or HDD.

OR (unlikely though) Windows has the wrong driver for it...

bikeman25    71

Tried powering it off, and waiting a few minutes,   Tried another cable USB 3.1 A to C,  no difference with the newer enclosure,  seems to be operating fine with the Toshiba 2tb in that enclosure now versus the Seagate 8tb drive--not sure why though lol.      The older replacement enclosure seems to be functioning fine with the 8TB drive as for right now.

Might be all fixed up, but waiting to see if this Seatools Long Generic drive tests finishes properly on the 8TB,  then will start restoring data i moved off it to be safe lol, and finally get some gaming and normal tasks done on Desktop system lol