Stealth Upgrade from Working Galaxy S7 On The Cheap

PGHammer

Just tripped over this - and darn near face-faulted. It is (right now) one of the cheapest upgrades to a 5G-capable phone; it comes unlocked, and it does NOT cost $500 - despite it being from (of all folks) Samsung.  It's the Samsung S20 5G (upgrade from a working Galaxy S7) for $489USD from Samsung.com's Samsung Unlocked group.

Why I qualify - I went sideways from the S7 to my Pixel 3a last year; I have kept the S7 up; it still works fine, and is my 3a's backup.

The SIM issue - What issue?  The S7 I left, the Pixel 3a, and the S20 5G take the same-size SIM.  Further, I use T-Mobile's towers (which means I can use T-Mobile's mmWave 5G - which said Samsung supports).  Had I been still on Verizon's network (which said S7 came from) I would be out of luck (since Verizon uses a different sort of 5G); however, I moved from one carrier to the other due to LTE - not 5G, issues.  (Tracfone uses the networks of both carriers, and permits movement from one to the other via SIM swapping at no charge.)

The flaw - Yes; there is a flaw.  I can't get the phone in black.  (My 3a is in black.)  However, I CAN get it in PRODUCT (RED) - at no extra charge.  (Usually, this colorway costs extra.)

Basically, this will be a better backup (phone).  (Remember, the Qualcomm S7s are out of upgrade options and are stuck on Android 8; the S20s, however, ship with Android 10 out of the box; even if 5G is not an issue; it's still a better backup phone than the S7 would be.

Jim K

Where?

The cheapest S20 with a trade in is $499 (with the S9, S10, Note10 and "comparable device owners").  A fault-free S7 brings the price to 699.99 ... don't forget to click through all the questions.

Capture.thumb.JPG.897a57d943f8bd3fc22b1393ba263f99.JPG

PGHammer
On 4/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, Jim K said:

Where?

The cheapest S20 with a trade in is $499 (with the S9, S10, Note10 and "comparable device owners").  A fault-free S7 brings the price to 699.99 ... don't forget to click through all the questions.

Capture.thumb.JPG.897a57d943f8bd3fc22b1393ba263f99.JPG

Are you in the US - and are you looking to swap a Snapdragon-driven S7?

I got the same page you did; apparently the offer expired. (Curses.)

The offer is still identical to that currently for the S10e - and this phone (surprisingly) would be of greater use with my tower provider (T-Mobile) while costing no more - which is the only reason EITHER phone is under consideration at all.  (Remember - neither would replace my current primary phone - a Pixel 3a.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Google Duo's auto-framing feature ditches Pixel exclusivity, rolling out to Samsung phones
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google brought an auto-framing feature for Duo on Pixel devices as part of its first-ever feature drop for its Pixel devices. As the name suggests, auto-framing helps users stay at the center of the video feed, so far as even zooming in into subjects to avoid losing focus on them. This negates the need to constantly adjust the phone’s angle, especially when it is docked or placed in a stand and the caller is further away from the phone and not holding it.

However, it looks like the feature is no longer exclusive to Pixel phones, as folks over at Android Police have begun receiving the option on their Samsung Galaxy S20 series phones. While this is not officially announced yet, the publication did reach out to Google for clarification and the company confirmed that the feature will be rolling out to more devices. The search giant is also yet to update its support document where it specifies that the feature is exclusive just to the Pixel 4.

Image via Google The expansion of this feature to Samsung’s phones is interesting but not unexpected. The South Korean giant recently also integrated the video calling service into its software. However, it is not clear which devices the auto-framing feature will be made available to. Regardless, the nifty little feature will be a welcome addition for Duo users.

Source: Android Police

• By Abhay V
      Samsung's motion photos are reportedly not backing up properly to Google Photos
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung began rolling out One UI 2.5 to a bunch of its flagships in the last few months, bringing a host of features such as support for gesture navigation with third-party launchers, Pro video mode, wireless DeX, and more. A few smaller, yet nifty features also were added such as the ability to record audio along with a short video in ‘Motion photos’, Samsung’s live photo offering that captures a brief clip before clicking a picture.

However, ever since the updated motion photos feature began being made available, users have begun reporting on Reddit that Google Photos no longer uploads the “video portion” of the photo since only the still image backups are being performed. It is not clear if this decision is one from Google, or if something was changed in the South Korean giant’s software that prevents these images from being uploaded as-is.

Some responses on Reddit suggest that the reason for this change could be due to Photos only accepting live images in the JPG format and that the latest feature from Samsung records these images in the more efficient HEIC format. However, there are no official responses from either company to confirm or deny this.

Reports have also been spotted on Google’s support forums, suggesting that more users are beginning to notice their backups not containing the motion photos as their devices get updated and they capture these images. It will be interesting to see which of these companies address this issue – or at least acknowledge it – and if there will be a solution any time soon.

Source: Reddit (1)(2), Google Forums via Android Police

• By eRajesh
      Samsung Galaxy S20's One UI 3.0 public beta program launching soon
      by Rajesh Pandey

Samsung detailed its One UI 3.0 skin earlier this month and then opened a pre-beta for developers shortly after. Now, a beta manager in Samsung's community forum in South Korea has confirmed that Samsung will soon start the One UI 3.0 public beta test for the Galaxy S20 series.

While the beta manager did not mention any date, it is likely that we will see the first One UI 3.0 beta for the Galaxy S20, S20+, and the S20 Ultra launch in the first half of October. The company has already confirmed that the One UI 3.0 public beta program will be available in South Korea, the United States, China, Germany, India, Poland, and the United Kingdom.

One UI 3.0 comes with enhanced system apps, an improved permissions manager, smarter Bixby Routine with additional conditions and trigger options, and more. You can find the change-log of the developer beta of One UI 3.0 here.

Going by Samsung's previous track record, the company will likely start the One UI 3.0 public beta program for the Galaxy Note20 series within weeks of the program launching for the Galaxy S20 series as well.

To join the One UI 3.0 public beta program, Galaxy S20 owners will have to use the Samsung Members app. The program will have limited slots so make sure to join it as soon as it goes live in your region.

Source: TizenHelp

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung announces the Galaxy Tab A7 in India, pre-orders now open
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung announced today its latest Android tablet in India, the Galaxy Tab A7. The tablet comes in LTE and Wi-Fi variants, with three color options including grey, silver, and gold.

Specs-wise, the device sports a 10.4-inch WUXGA+ display with symmetric bezels and rounded corners. The 7mm-thin tablet also has a metal finish. Its display resolution is 2000 × 1200 and it is powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 662, paired with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage that's expandable up to 1TB. The tablet packs a 7,040mAh battery with an adaptive fast charging system.

At the back of the device, there's an 8MP camera while a 5MP shooter sits on the front. It has quad speakers featuring Dolby Atmos surround sound. The Tab A7 also features Samsung's Knox security platform.

The LTE model retails for ₹21,999 (~$298) and the Wi-Fi model for ₹17,999 (~$244). Purchasing the device gets you two months worth of free YouTube Premium subscription. It's available for pre-order today via Samsung's website, select retail stores, and other online marketplaces. Customers who pre-order will be able to snag Samsung's Book Cover for ₹1,875 (~$35) from ₹4,499 (~$61) plus cashback of up to ₹2,000 (~$27) when they pay using ICICI credit and debit cards.

• By indospot
      Samsung introduces the Galaxy Tab Active3, a rugged tablet for businesses
      by João Carrasqueira

Samsung has announced the new Galaxy Tab Active3, a rugged tablet aimed at business users. This is the direct follow-up to the three-year-old Galaxy Tab Active2, though Samsung also introduced the 10-inch Galaxy Tab Active Pro last year.

Being that it's been three years since its predecessor launched, the Galaxy Tab Active3 features some pretty significant improvements from its predecessor. The 8-inch display now comes in a 1920x1200 resolution, though it's still a TFT LCD panel. On the inside, there's an octa-core Exynos 9810 chipset with speeds up to 2.7GHz, plus 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage, which can be expanded through a microSD card.

The rear camera has also been bumped from an 8MP unit to a 13MP one, and Samsung has added support for Google's AR Core technology, so augmented reality applications should be compatible out of the box. The USB Type-C port has also been upgraded to USB 3.1 Gen 1, rather than USB 2.0. Additionally, the battery capacity has been bumped up to 5,050mAh, and it's still user replaceable.

In line with the Galaxy Tab Active family, the new tablet has an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance, and so is the included S Pen. It also has the newer MIL-STD-810H certification for drurability.

Software-wise, the Galaxy Tab Active3 ships with Android 10 out of the box, and Samsung promises three generations of Android updates, as well as regular monthly updates. The new tablet also supports Samsung DeX so you can connect to an external display and use it with a PC-like interface.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 Pro is available starting today in markets including Europe and Asia, though the company hasn't shared pricing information. The tablet also doesn't appear to have been added to Samsung's rugged range page as of yet.