discover card requesting irs form 4506 t

I am wondering if anyone who has applied for a discover card if you have been asked to fill out an IRS 4506-t form? If yes, what is the purpose of it or is it a scam? 

I haven't had to get a new card in a while but I have never heard of this. 

8 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Anyone else have opinions on this plz?

Not sure if you've done it yet, but if you click the text that i posted it takes you to a reddit thread with lots of comments and opinions.

15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Not sure if you've done it yet, but if you click the text that i posted it takes you to a reddit thread with lots of comments and opinions.

Just did but I would like to know opinions from people here. Thx

what more is there to give opinions on? It looks like it's a legit though uncommon request credit card issuers can ask for to verify your income is what you say it is.

that's actually a very informative reddit thread (Y)

Coz it

10 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

what more is there to give opinions on? It looks like it's a legit though uncommon request credit card issuers can ask for to verify your income is what you say it is.

that's actually a very informative reddit thread (Y)

Coz it deals with a 3rd party vendor i believe and its looking for income tax info which holds personal info!!!!!

Between the 3rd party issue and the negative reviews about not getting a $75 reward credit from amazon, I just cancelled it. A person cant be too trustworthy these days especially with all the scams going on caused by the coronavirus.

You could have called Discover ...

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/contact-us/

...and asked them (why they want a 4506-t, not unheard of) .  Not sure why Discover would be scamming you ... obviously if you are just receiving some random emails or popups ... those could be scams. 

Which is why, when in doubt, go straight to the company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

You just tell them you refuse to comply and close all of your accounts with them. If everyone does that, they'll either quickly stop this draconian and excessively invasive practice or go out of business from lack of accounts. Even the President of the United States hasn't disclosed his tax returns, yet Discover expects me to? 

Allowing a company full access to your confidential IRS data is insane. They already have access to your entire credit reports from the credit bureaus as well as your purchase and payment history accumulated during your time as their customer. If they have access to your IRS tax history, they'll know your charitable and political donation recipients, your investment practices including stock investment gains/losses and financial firms where you trade and they'll know your deductions and expenses. They already have a privacy policy that allows them to share anything they know about you with their "business partners and affiliates" for any purpose they want including marketing products and services to you. Do you really want a credit card company using your most confidential financial information to empower whichever 3rd party marketing firms as they target you?    

Fortunately, the credit card business is competitive and there are lots of players, so I told Discover to f-off and closed everything I had with them - opened new accounts with companies that actually want to get and retain new customers. 

• 1 month later...

I experienced this just yesterday. Discover has immediately gone from a company that I advocated for, valued and enjoyed being a customer of to a company that I despise and will never do business with again. I was a customer for about three years and have never paid late and have never paid even close to just the minimum payment. My discover card was my primary card and the only reason is wasn’t my only card was because the limit wasn’t adequate. My card was declined at a higher end retailer, I checked the app, it was down, I called customer service , the number was busy. So I used another card. I called when I got home as was told I needed to sign a 4506T in order to keep my account open. I argued, asked why they would treat and good customer like this, question my integrity and honesty invade my privacy for a credit card that’s never been paid late and that they had just 30 days prior increased the credit line of. I received no reasonable answer. So I called the executive integrity line with discover and received the same responses in a more polite and polished manner. I don’t need a discover card, I was a fan and a good customer, but this is ridiculous and unbelievably invasive and inappropriate for a credit card Company to request tax transcripts on a 10k revolving credit line that’s been paid like clockwork and regularly paid off and charged back up (very profitable for them). I’ve paid off of my card and now I’m determined to tell my story as many times as it takes to get an apology and a real explanation