Very strange (internet) connection issue

Starting last night I was having some really slow load times on multiple websites, including Neowin. So as a means for checking the overall connection, I go to command line and use ping to check a few random websites like Google, and Neowin, and no mater what site I would ping it timed out. It was very obvious to me that Google was still working as other members of the household were watching YouTube and able to browse the web with no issues. So I restarted the computer, and everything was OK. Now this morning started out fine, but then I started to get the same exact issue as last night, including Neowin not loading, despite hard refreshes. I went to command line and pinged Neowin, and Google and both requests timed out, however with Google not responding to a ping request, I was able to go to Google and preform a random search. I have tried both Firefox and Edge and the results are the same. At this point I have no idea where else to look for the solution to this issue.

Just now, Peresvet said:

Have you checked your cables?

Yes, everything is securely attached.

1 minute ago, Peresvet said:

What about the cables themselves. Have they been bent too much maybe?

I don't think a cable would not allow him to ping google but then let him do a google search.

• Like 1

Just now, warwagon said:

I don't think a cable would not ping google but then let him do a google search.

An old worn and torn cable can behave exactly like that, on and off.

1 minute ago, Peresvet said:

What about the cables themselves. Have they been bent too much maybe?

No, they are fine. Now other members of the household are having the same issue (ping) Google and Neowin timeout, other websites respond, but every website that does not respond to Ping does load

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

No, they are fine. Now other members of the household are having the same issue (ping) Google and Neowin timeout, other websites respond, but every website that does not respond to Ping does load

As per usual, reset your router/modem.

Your ISP could be having issues due to increased traffic. Give them a call.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I'm assuming you powercyled the router and modem if you have one.

Yes, and I just did a speed test which shows 351 down and 24 up, which is good, I am paying for 300/20

15 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, and I just did a speed test which shows 351 down and 24 up, which is good, I am paying for 300/20

Have you tried to use some custom dns servers on your machine just to test. Such as open dns

It's sad I have that those memorized.

11 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Have you tried to use some custom dns servers on your machine just to test. Such as open dns

It's sad I have that those memorized.

Both respond within 16 to 20 ms

27 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Both respond within 16 to 20 ms

but do they ever not ping, like the issue you were having before?

45 minutes ago, warwagon said:

but do they ever not ping, like the issue you were having before?

I pinged them 4 times in a row and they all pinged, Google and Neowin still do not respond to ping requests

I can't ping Google.com or the IPV6 address and I can not ping Neowin.net or the IP address. I can ping OpenDNS addresses provided by @warwagon

ping.thumb.PNG.e7d0124d61099cf6aa954dfee449eddf.PNG191002234_ping2.thumb.PNG.95c1f69e4565b602c051fe0b014deaeb.PNG

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Out of pure curiosity try going into network adapters and unchecking ipv6 and try it again.

Getting a response now... what does that mean to you?

That your ipv6 is not working as it should..

Also btw, you trying to ping neowin.net - doesn't answer ping.. So not a good site to test with... Not all things on the net will answer ping.. If you want to use that for connectivity test, you need to be sure it answers when things are working, or it useless to test it when your not sure if things are working.. 

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Also btw, you trying to ping neowin.net - doesn't answer ping.. So not a good site to test with... Not all things on the net will answer ping.. If you want to use that for connectivity test, you need to be sure it answers when things are working, or it useless to test it when your not sure if things are working.. 

Yeah, he's in Florida, Neowin is in the UK... I think that will cause trouble.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

OK, I figured that Neowin was configured to not respond to pings. What steps do I need to fix the ipv6, is it a per system configuration or something to change on the router?

25 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I figured that Neowin was configured to not respond to pings. What steps do I need to fix the ipv6, is it a per system configuration or something to change on the router?

Sounds a little router based since everyone is having an issue.

27 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

What steps do I need to fix the ipv6,

To be honest nothing.. Leave it disabled.. While it is the future of the internet.. There is ZERO "need" of it currently.. ZERO!!  There is not one single mainstream service that requires you to use IPv6.. Not one!  So unless you need/want to access some off the wall p0rn site or dark web sort of thing that only has IPv6 there is no "need' of it.  But sure it can cause all sorts of issues, etc.

My current ISP doesn't even support it - many do not..  I get my IPv6 through a tunnel from Hurricane electric... Only reason I do that is because I like to play with it, and what I do for a living is networking...  But my PC and most of my network doesn't have it enabled... I have some test stuff that does, I serve up ntp to the pool via IPv6, etc..

So unless you have a desire to learn about it and deploy it correctly, and also have to deal with the added security and management it can bring.. I would just leave it off, turn it off at the router even so its not even possible to use..

Many IPv6 fan boys disagree with this stance - but sorry its networking security 101.. If your not using a protocol, if you do not understand a protocol... If you have no actual need of said protocol you shouldn't have it enabled..

• Thanks 1

Hello,

There was reportedly a fiber cut (or multiple fiber cuts) yesterday at CenturyLink, a tier-one internet provider (e.g., company that provides backbone service to other providers).  Exact details seem to vary, but I have heard it occurred in Bloomington, IN, Fort Worth, TX, Madison, WI, near Chicago, IL (Zion?), near Denver, CO (Highland Ranch?), near San Jose, CA, and near Seattle, WA,.  There are also reports that 8x8, Digital Ocean, Flexential, Frontier, GlobalCrossing, Jive Communications, Level3, Qwest , Spectrum, WilTel and Windstream were affected as well.

A few places to look at if you think there may be a widespread internet outage:

There are lots of services like these, so you might want to look around if these are not exactly what you need.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Thanks 1

Yeah there was some major issues with centurylink yesterday.. But since the the traffic would flow over the same connections be it ipv4 or ipv6 it would make no sense that such an issue would only effected his ipv6 connectivity.  Now it is possible that how specific peering might be setup with whatever could of been only ipv4 or ipv6 based.  But what I can tell you is for sure is it was effecting IPv4 for sure.. Not just ipv6.

I still stand by my statement if your having issues with IPv6, and you are not up to speed on all the details of how ipv6 works over IPv4, and you have no specific need of ipv6, then just turn it off until such time that you can speed the time needed to understand it and set it up correctly for your needs.

IPv6 is way more than just a longer/different address..  And while I completely agree it is the "future" and sometime in the future IPv4 will go away just like ipx/spx and or netbeui, etc. 

I would suggest you look into going through the IPv6 training Hurricane electric offers for IPv6 - its free, and if you reach sage level you can get a free tshirt... Always fun to wear sporting your geekness ;)  Even though mine is getting a bit ragged.. I hold it in high regards as much as any of my oldest grateful dead ties..   I got mine back in 2011, while I have GD shirts way older than that ;)

https://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Certification Level: Sage earned at 2011-01-26

Once you understand how it works, you can enable it or disable it at will..

$ ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : i5-win
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : local.lan
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : local.lan

Ethernet adapter Local:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-3B-2F-67-62
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.253
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.10
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Clickity.

Ethernet adapter Local:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : local.lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-3B-2F-67-62
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:snipped::100(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::50:703a:ac66:c23b%13(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::208:a2ff:fe0c:e624%13
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 520098619
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-24-1F-5D-A5-38-59-F9-5F-63-C1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4860:4860::8888
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       local.lan

test.thumb.jpg.dbde7e2ab7762fcd3f199255e2b57352.jpg