• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Program loads at startup despite being told not to

jnelsoninjax    14,666

On my wife's laptop she has an app that loads at startup, even though 1) It is not in the startup folder, 2) Has been told not to load through task manager and 3) has been checked under the apps - startup setting that is not supposed to be loading. 4) Checked under 'Services' - not showing up 5) checked the common (all users) startup folder (empty) This obviously is an annoyance and I would like to figure out where else it could be loaded from. If anyone could point me into the right direction, it would be helpful!

Steven P.    16,904

Yeah I have this as well with the Intel Driver assistant that checks for updates for Intel drivers, it is disabled in the task manager "startup" programs but the litttle bugger still starts with every boot, it's not annoying enough to remove altogether because once in a while I do want to use it to check for official driver updates.

Also, you should tell us the app :) 

jnelsoninjax    14,666

Exactly what she is saying, I would just like a method to stop it from loading at startup, but it has buried itself somewhere to prevent that.

zhangm    1,399

Another place to check would be Task Scheduler. It would help to know which app this is, since someone might already know the solution for it.

Vince800    326

Open regedit and see if it's listed under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

jnelsoninjax    14,666
1 hour ago, zhangm said:

Another place to check would be Task Scheduler. It would help to know which app this is, since someone might already know the solution for it.

I do not know the exact name, but it has 'life' in the name, it is a propriety app made for Lifeways, who provides mental health services and counseling via a virtual meeting (webcam) 

+BudMan    3,737

Great tool for finding this stuff and removing it from starting up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Free, and a MS tool even.  Been using it for years, even before it was MS, use to be non MS, and then they bought them out..  The sysinternals site as lots of great little utils like that. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

• Like 4

jnelsoninjax    14,666
4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Great tool for finding this stuff and removing it from starting up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Free, and a MS tool even.  Been using it for years, even before it was MS, use to be non MS, and then they bought them out..  The sysinternals site as lots of great little utils like that. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I forgot about them! I used them quite a bit, just not real recently!

jnelsoninjax    14,666

So Autoruns found it loading via the registry, a simple uncheck and it is gone! Thanks all for the help.

• Like 3

+BudMan    3,737

Great.. Yeah its a great tool - good opportunity to see what other sort of other stuff you might not want to be loading.

Steven P.    16,904

@BudMan is the best! :D 

Richard C.    289

I've always wondered why they don't just ship the sysinternals stuff with the default windows install, put it inside system tools or something.