Retrieve Windows installation key on HP notebook

My brother has a HP notebook and I would like to upgrade it with a SSD-drive.

Windows (8.1 and upgraded to 10) became preinstalled.

I would like to reinstall this Windows without the pre-installed bloatware that HP has, so actually a clean install. And afterwards I will download the necessary drivers from the HP-site.

Question is... is there a way to extract the Windows 10 key out of this current installation on his regular HDD/setup? Maybe some sort of tool/software? And use this key in the Windows 10 MCT downloaded (and extracted to USB) version?

50 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I found this guide that covers all the different methods for recovering the key. Hope it helps!

Thx. Will use this when reinstalling.

windows 10 you shouldn't need to extract the key. just skip the key on install and have him log back in with the same Microsoft account afterwords and it should reactivate based on the digital key.

if it's dual booted with Windows 8.1 and you wish to keep both installs you can use Magical Jelly Bean to extract that key. I believe you said upgraded to 10 but figured I'd put this part as well just in case it's useful to you. 🙂

Just now, Brandon H said:

windows 10 you shouldn't need to extract the key. just skip the key on install and have him log back in with the same Microsoft account afterwords and it should reactivate based on the digital key.

if it's dual booted with Windows 8.1 and you wish to keep both installs you can use Magical Jelly Bean to extract that key. I believe you said upgraded to 10 but figured I'd put this part as well just in case it's useful to you. 🙂

Was just going to suggest Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder.

6 hours ago, metallithrax said:

Was just going to suggest Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder.

belarc advisor would be my first choice