BSOD Hal.dll Whilst Gaming

dominicwild

Hi,

Recently changed my graphics card and it recently started giving this bluescreen. It says "uncorrectable hardware error". Hal.dll has been consistently the cause. It only seems to occur while gaming too and its random. Even on non-graphics intensive games. I have a GTX 1080.

Here are the memory dumps:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oQneQ8_3wQyBuOVf0d46qFOWdCOgYnI7/view?usp=sharing

Any assistance would be appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore information. 

+jnelsoninjax

I would recommend that you get Whocrashed, it will analyze the memory dumps and tell you what caused the BSOD. Also on the Nvidia cards, I recommend that you always check the option when installing to preform a clean install, I have had some weird issues with games when I allow the drivers to just update, instead of a clean install. You could also grab DDU (Display driver uninstaller) and completely remove all traces of the display driver, then install them again. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Infernoprince
      Hi all,

I'm running windows 7 x64.

The BSOD occured after I used a program called driver hub to update my drivers. It was going well, however after attempting to download a driver (I believe it had to do with a USB driver but I can't confirm) my computer shutdown. I restarted the computer and tried to reinstall the driver, I also got a prompt to update windows so I did that as well. My computer shutdown again but this time it loaded into a BSOD.

I've tried to boot into safe mode and it starts loading drivers but then stops and shuts down. I tried to use last know good configuration but that didn't work either. I tried to load into automatic repair mode but that didn't work, and system restore doesn't work either. I do however have access to command prompt, windows memory diagnostics, and system image recovery (although it says windows cannot find a system image on this computer)

Technical Information on blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8800194A02D, 0xFFFFF880009A9468, 0xFFFFF880009A8CD0)

*** asstahci64.sys - Address FFFFF8800194A02D base at FFFFF88001934000, Datestamp 599a919f
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      Information from startup repair
      Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
      Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
      Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
      Problem Signature 03: unknown
      Problem Signature 04: 21198527
      Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
      Problem Signature 06: 11
      Problem Signature 07: 0x1000007e
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033

---------------------------------------------------
      Diagnosis and repair details:
      Root cause found:
      Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck 1000007e. Parameters = 0xffffffff80000003, 0xfffff8800ad8502d, 0xfffff880033dfec8, 0xfffff880033df730.

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
      Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
      Time taken = 136422 ms
      Session details
      System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
      Windows directory = D:\Windows
      AutoChk Run = no
      Number of root causes = 1

Ask me if you need any other information.
    • By Abhay V
      HP releases fix through Windows Update for issue causing BSOD for certain PCs
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft released its regular suite of Patch Tuesday updates to all supported Windows versions on May 12. The updates for Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909 were labeled KB4556799. However, not all was well with some users running HP machines, as reports began emerging of devices suffering from random Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issues with a “KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED” error.

While some reports on HP’s forums pre-date the Patch Tuesday update, more users began posting responses after May 12. Now, it looks like HP has released a fix for the update through Windows Update. The update is termed “HP Software Component 4.1.4.3079” and is being rolled out to users to fix the issues that result in the “KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED” error. The problem was reportedly caused by conflicts between HP’s software and Windows Defender updates.

While the issue likely affected a small set of users, it was a major issue that sometimes resulted in boot loops (as reported by WindowsLatest) and the inability to even boot into safe mode. Those that were lucky enough to be able to boot the OS had to restore the system to a previous date using the System Restore feature in Windows. While the Redmond giant did not officially acknowledge issues with the update, it did include verbiage in this month’s Patch Tuesday KB article that suggested that it is investigating “social media and news reports related to various issues with KB4556799”.

Regardless, it is best for HP users to head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates to pull the update. Since it is rolling out gradually, you may not see it right away.

Source: AskWoody.com via Borncite.com, WindowsBlogItalia

• By Steven P.
      Microsoft issues fix for HP devices suffering BSOD with Windows 10
      by Steven Parker

Patch Tuesday took place last week, in what Microsoft probably hoped would fix a few issues with the October 2018 Update, instead it introduced new problems, not only for the latest iteration of Microsoft's flagship OS, but also for the April 2018 Update, specifically if are using either versions on a HP computer.

Soon after updating, users all over the internet started reporting that their devices were getting into a blue screen of death (BSOD), preventing them from booting. The error message displayed says "WDF_VIOLATION", which refers to the Windows Driver Framework. The problem was traced back to a driver file found on the company's computers, 'HpqKbFiltr.sys'. Many of those affected reported that deleting this file solved their problems and that the devices work normally.

And although there are several unofficial methods to recover a HP system from the BSOD, Microsoft has announced a fix and rolled out a patch to the Microsoft Update Catalog for both the April and October 2018 Update flavors of Windows 10. Apply these if you are able to boot into Windows or have not restarted since applying the update.

if you can't boot into Windows, you can also get to Advanced Startup by pressing the power button on your PC each time you see the Windows flag on boot 3 times in a row, then follow these steps:

Select the Troubleshoot option Select Advanced Options Select Command Prompt Type the following command (assuming Windows is installed on C:) and press Enter:
      cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers Type the following command and press Enter:
      ren HpqKbFiltr.sys HpqKbFiltr.sys.old Type the following command and press Enter:
      exit Reboot your system as normal You can grab the patch that applies to your version of Windows at the link below.

Source: Microsoft Catalog

• By Rodrigo A.
      Hi guys,

I’m having troubles with a new mid/high end PC and can’t find the problem, so I’m here for help… Basically, it hangs up, sometimes with a BSOD and sometimes I just have to manually reset it.

This started to happen 2 months ago, when windows got updated. That time, the BSOD had a variety of Stop codes, like machine check exception; clock watchdog timeout and few others. The solution was to recover to a point before windows update and stop those updates for 30 days (the maximum days windows let you). That pretty much worked, BUT after those 30 days windows got updated again… and those hangs up returned.

So, I decided to format the disk and do a clean windows installation, which worked for 1 week before pc starting to hangs up again! The 1st Stop Code I got (other times didn’t get a BSOD, the pc just freezes and had to reset it) was SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (fltmgr.sys + ntoskrnl.exe). After many restarts, I reinstalled the GPU drivers and got a full day of heavy use without any problem. But late that day, the pc got suspended and after a wake up it immediately got stuck again, and after that I got like 8 freezes in a row, with different stop codes:

-          IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (ntoskrnl.exe)
      -          WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR (stuck in 0%, no minidump)
      -          CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT (stuck in 0%, no minidump)

Every driver is updated, BIOS also, no virus/malwares/etc, and there’s not a pointed action where it crashes, it can be on starts up, while playing, or while surfing the web. Yesterday I used it for 8 hs perfectly, and today I got already 5 crashes in a row.

The weird thing is almost the same happened like 5 months ago with another GPU (Radeon RX 570), where things pointed out that was a hardware issue and changed it for a GTX 1070. Everything was fine until that windows update…

Well, I’m uploading screenshots of BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed, and a HiJackThis log. PC spects:

-          I7 7700K
      -          GTX 1070
      -          270z gaming K5
      -          Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x4GB

Thanks in advice!

DropBox Images and Log
    • By Red Mist
      HI, all need a bit of help with diagnosing a problem, i built my kids a pc using:..

skylake i5-6400
      Asus Z170-P D3
      8 GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600mhz ram ddr3 (this could be the cause of the issue) not ddr3L

This has been running fine for at least a year to 18 months, just recently the system will not load anything & i mean anything, windows 10 BSOD right at the start of loading, safe mode exactly the same, failed boot repair also BSOD.
      So i downloaded memtest, created a bootable usb, loaded it up using uefi boot, ran basic memory tests , within seconds was showing memory errors then proceeded to lock up.
      I tried booting the usb memtest in normal boot mode(non uefi) ran the same tests which ran longer but was showing memory errors before eventually locking up .... aha i thought the memory has failed, i pulled it out of the kids pc, tried it on my own pc and guess what, all was fine , no memory errors at all, my pc ran fine with no problems.
      That's where i'm at right now, i am stuck, i have read that skylake cpu's don't like high voltage ram as the could potentially damage the imc on the skylake cpu, this would make sense as to why window BSOD before loading anything, but having scoured the internet trying to find any info on failed skylake cpu's due to high voltage ram frying the imc, i can find no cases of this yet...
      I don't know where to turn now, i have no other skylake systems at home (were all on sandy bridge still) I don't know weather it's the motherboard or cpu.
      Anyone come across this problem? am i the only case in the world that has destroyed a skylake imc using 1.5v X.M.P ram?