How to bypass Windows10 build version checking?


Recommended Posts

Matthew S.

First off don't assume what field one is in.  Second we already know what your end-goal is with changing the build number.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

First off don't assume what field one is in.  Second we already know what your end-goal is with changing the build number.

yea? Did u even aware of some app limited Windows Server from running and people change the windows build number to install and use it?

If you are talking about native app, there is no reason it should be limited to Windows build number since there's c++ redistribution package.

SO stop judging, just let the people who know reply. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
Posted (edited)

You do realise that the MSVCRT is just a runtime (your reference to the c++ redistribution package) since the compiler and standard library version changes with each compiler revision and thus changes the ABI, it is not the OS baked API's.

 

Also no tech/IT expert worth their salt would do that in a production environment.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
4 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

You do realise that the MSVCRT is just a runtime (your reference to the c++ redistribution package) since the compiler version changes with each compiler revision and thus changes the ABI, it is not the OS baked API's.

 

Also no tech/IT expert worth their salt would do that in a production environment.

I think you don't understand what I just said, you are just busy to focus on "cancel this idea".

There are native app that don't let you install their software because you have low Windows10 build number. Please just stop reply if you don't have the solution.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Biscuits Brown

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking. So you are asking for someone to 'hack' a production copy of Windows 10 operating system to appear to be a different build version that it is.  Is that right?   If so, you're dancing on a very fine line with the Neowin TOS.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
10 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

I think you don't understand what I just said, you are just busy to focus on "cancel this idea".

There are native app that don't let you install their software because you have low Windows10 build number. Please just stop reply if you don't have the solution.

Native or not. Developers can choose not to support an OS build if said OS support has officially ended in of itself. This is not a new concept; just handled in a slightly different way now.

 

You don't have to be rude with your request. Your wording in the OP in no way reflected that you're doing this just for fun or as a reverse engineering learning experience so why do you expect people to automatically take it that way?

We tried to be nice an present reasons you should just upgrade to a supported build for your benefit and security and then you started getting defensive.

 

As the old worldly saying goes, "Be kind and you will receive kindness in return".

 

---

 

We're a tech forum oriented on doing things properly and assisting people to fix things. Reverse engineering isn't exactly most of our forte. Someone might be willing to assist but you'll need to be clear about it and give it some time 🙂 no need to tell off our members that are just trying to help you do the right thing though.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Vince800
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

I think you don't understand what I just said, you are just busy to focus on "cancel this idea".

There are native app that don't let you install their software because you have low Windows10 build number. Please just stop reply if you don't have the solution.

I do get what you're saying and this would be a fun experiment (but nothing more) in a virtual machine or something similar.

 

However in your earlier posts you were more specific about an app and said that you do not know what cumulative updates are and that you do not currently have the capacity to backup or upgrade, I really strongly advise against you messing around on your production machine like this in order to run some apps which will more than likely have issues if you manage to workaround the minimum version restrictions regardless.

 

My understanding is that the build number is hardcoded and cannot be changed by simply editing the registry or changing some files. Anything further than this and you're definitely breaking the license so it cannot be discussed here.

 

I find your concern over privacy settings in newer builds misguided. The newer builds are much more transparent and offer you more granular control over certain aspects than 1607 ever did, however basic telemetry has been in Windows for years definitely in Vista with CEIP but probably before that too, I've never been that bothered to check.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 4:03 AM, Brandon H said:

Native or not. Developers can choose not to support an OS build if said OS support has officially ended in of itself. This is not a new concept; just handled in a slightly different way now.

 

You don't have to be rude with your request. Your wording in the OP in no way reflected that you're doing this just for fun or as a reverse engineering learning experience so why do you expect people to automatically take it that way?

We tried to be nice an present reasons you should just upgrade to a supported build for your benefit and security and then you started getting defensive.

 

As the old worldly saying goes, "Be kind and you will receive kindness in return".

 

---

 

We're a tech forum oriented on doing things properly and assisting people to fix things. Reverse engineering isn't exactly most of our forte. Someone might be willing to assist but you'll need to be clear about it and give it some time 🙂 no need to tell off our members that are just trying to help you do the right thing though.

That is correct until in future when future Windows update that you dislike force you to unwilling to upgrade. and you are not able to install your most favorite software, let's see how you react to your own comment about "Developers can choose not to ".

Or for some reason you don't feel like to purchase a new Windows11 license key for example because you support "genuine product".

I can't edit the original thread. there's no way for me to change it. But if others can read and understand what I commented, I don't see why he need to keep repeating himself I am trying to install that Paint3d which I am not planning to do so already. To be fair he's rude on me first that is why I raise my defense. Sure you don't feel offended by him because you stand on his side and he's not direct the attacking on you. See? Even when I reply in mild tone you already call me "rude". Try if someone challenging your understanding like tht, that is what I call "rude"

 

On 5/7/2020 at 3:58 AM, Zag L. said:

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking. So you are asking for someone to 'hack' a production copy of Windows 10 operating system to appear to be a different build version that it is.  Is that right?   If so, you're dancing on a very fine line with the Neowin TOS.

Hack or not I don't know, there are a few approaches, that is why it is meant for discussion. Reverse engineering is not my best skill.

Come on, a reverse engineering can be under the category of hacking but hacking is not reverse engineering. I hope you know the difference.

RE is even studied in Computer Science offered by some university.

For instance if you know the Windows Api to check the windows os build number, you can just take over and return the build number. That don't involve with "hacking a production copy" which I assume you mean change the kernel

Edited by meowtresting
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Biscuits Brown
25 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

Hack or not I don't know, there are a few approaches, that is why it is meant for discussion. Reverse engineering is not my best skill.

Come on, a reverse engineering can be under the category of hacking but hacking is not reverse engineering. I hope you know the difference.

RE is even studied in Computer Science offered by some university.

For instance if you know the Windows Api to check the windows os build number, you can just take over and return the build number. That don't involve with "hacking a production copy" which I assume you mean change the kernel

The problem here is that the Windows 10 license specifically prohibits attempts to “…reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software…” so what you are asking for is in violation of the license and as such I'd think continuing this discussion is in violation of the Neowin Terms of Service.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 6:34 PM, Matthew S. said:

You really don't understand how software development works do you? 

 

28 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

I can't edit the original thread. there's no way for me to change it. But if others can read and understand what I commented, I don't see why he need to keep repeating himself I am trying to install that Paint3d which I am not planning to do so already. To be fair he's rude on me first that is why I raise my defense. Sure you don't feel offended by him because you stand on his side and he's not direct the attacking on you. See? Even when I reply in mild tone you already call me "rude". Try if someone challenging your understanding like tht, that is what I call "rude"

 

If you referring to the line above I didn't actually mean for it to come across as "mean" or "rude"

Quote

Hack or not I don't know, there are a few approaches, that is why it is meant for discussion. Reverse engineering is not my best skill.

Come on, a reverse engineering can be under the category of hacking but hacking is not reverse engineering. I hope you know the difference.

RE is even studied in Computer Science offered by some university.

For instance if you know the Windows Api to check the windows os build number, you can just take over and return the build number. That don't involve with "hacking a production copy" which I assume you mean change the kernel

Yes, you can change the build number, it is also against the Microsoft Windows EULA to do any sort of reverse engineering, it will still not let app x work as intended, unless you can be absolutely sure that API Z is not being utilized by said app, theres a reason why developers put minimum build requirements in packages, goes for what ever language your developing with be in C/C++, Swift, PHP, Obj-C, and the list goes on.

 

As I stated prior the MSVCRT is only a runtime which only includes support for the C / C++ Standard Library, anything thats windows specific (outside of what needs to be implemented as part of the STDLIB) will not be covered by it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

The problem here is that the Windows 10 license specifically prohibits attempts to “…reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software…” so what you are asking for is in violation of the license and as such I'd think continuing this discussion is in violation of the Neowin Terms of Service.

Wow you said it like you purchase every software you used. You never use any pirated copy of app. You bought every windows license key. You bought every Ms.Office product.

Say if you are iOS user, you never jailbreak your phone, If you are on android, you never root your phone, you read every license agreement before you install every software.

Can't we just assume for a second it's just for POC and this is just meant for discussion for now? Say I want to test it in a vm.

I don't know why you against this so much, are you an app developer that this will affect your development? Do you interact with your users?

Edited by meowtresting
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

Wow you said it like you purchase every software you used. You never use any pirated copy of app. You bought every windows license key.

 

Actually considering the risks involved with using a pirated version of Windows, yea I have bought every license key of windows I own and I'm sure the majority of Neowin's members are of the same mindset.  Other software, maybe in my youth I did that, now I pay for every piece of software I own (if required otherwise FOSS versions)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.
7 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

Wow you said it like you purchase every software you used. You never use any pirated copy of app. You bought every windows license key.

Say if you are iOS user, you never jailbreak your phone, If you are on android, you never root your phone, you read every license agreement before you install every software.

Can't we just assume for a second it's just for POC and this is just meant for discussion for now? Say I want to test it in a vm.

I don't know why you against this so much, are you an app developer that this will affect your development? Do you interact with your users?

Zag L.'s point is that what you are requesting help with goes against Windows' licence. Which in turn means that what you are requesting assistance with goes against the following community rules:

Quote

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.
Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

Whether someone does or doesn't get hold of software illegally is beside the point. The discussion asking for help in circumventing a system is not allowed on these Forums. If you want to do it then that's your business, but you're on your own.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Actually considering the risks involved with using a pirated version of Windows, yea I have bought every license key of windows I own and I'm sure the majority of Neowin's members are of the same mindset.  Other software, maybe in my youth I did that, now I pay for every piece of software I own (if required otherwise FOSS versions)

So same as I. My os is genuine when I bought from manufacturer as well. Didn't u see what I said just now? 

Quote

 

That is correct until in future when future Windows update that you dislike force you to unwilling to upgrade. and you are not able to install your most favorite software, let's see how you react to your own comment about "Developers can choose not to ".

Or for some reason you don't feel like to purchase a new Windows11 license key for example because you support "genuine product".

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
Posted (edited)

Simple, I replace the outdated piece of software/hardware or run an older version of the supported OS in a VM (with minimal network access).  I work in an enterprise environment where we encounter this very situation on the daily lol

 

Actually have a real world example for you, the company I work for uses old green screen AS/400 TN5250 emulation software, the old client that we've been using for a number of years relies on ActiveX and IE6 (good god...) so were in the process of rolling out a new native client, same deal the API's are not there in the newer versions of windows (this is more in prep for moving past Windows 10 1910).

 

And I'm sorry but disliking an OS is a pretty ###### poor reason not to upgrade, unless you have hardware from last century.

Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

Simple, I replace the outdated piece of software/hardware or run an older version of the supported OS in a VM (with minimal network access).  I work in an enterprise environment where we encounter this very situation on the daily lol

now you are just trying too hard to against smone justification.

You apparently didn't do that. If you require to use that app daily, you won't have the patience to work back and forth with vm

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.
5 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

If you require to use that app daily, you won't have the patience to work back and forth with vm

Ignoring the fact that no one possibly uses Paint on a daily basis, that's not what he said. He said that he would upgrade the software or hardware (so in this case, upgrade Windows 10) so that he could use the application daily, or he would run it in a VM. Most computers these days have enough resources to have a VM constantly running in the background if the application is used daily and cannot be switched for something compatible with the system.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
1 minute ago, meowtresting said:

now you are just trying too hard to against smone justification.

You apparently didn't do that. If you require to use that app daily, you won't have the patience to work back and forth with vm

Uhh no, thats not how it works in an enterprise/corporate environment, you use vm's if you have to upgrade when required. 

 

If somethings not compatible and there is no viable replacement, VM, if there is a viable replacement move to it, if the software is not compatible with the currently installed OS, upgrade the OS to the next LTS release.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
3 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ignoring the fact that no one possibly uses Paint on a daily basis, that's not what he said. He said that he would upgrade the software or hardware (so in this case, upgrade Windows 10) so that he could use the application daily, or he would run it in a VM. Most computers these days have enough resources to have a VM constantly running in the background if the application is used daily and cannot be switched for something compatible with the system.

Hell it's a challenge just configuring old Windows Mobile devices on Windows 10, gotta jump though quite a few hoops just to get that done...  Mind you the "hack" to get the old microsoft sync center working on Windows 10 1709 is officially posted by microsoft... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ignoring the fact that no one possibly uses Paint on a daily basis, that's not what he said. He said that he would upgrade the software or hardware (so in this case, upgrade Windows 10) so that he could use the application daily, or he would run it in a VM. Most computers these days have enough resources to have a VM constantly running in the background if the application is used daily and cannot be switched for something compatible with the system.

what is wrong with you guys?? Stop assuming I am trying to use paint *facepalm*. What is so good about Paint3D that made u keep thinking I must use it?? I repeated so many times already I am trying to install another software that have similiar restriction

Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.

We have, your the one that keeps going back to it lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
7 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Uhh no, thats not how it works in an enterprise/corporate environment, you use vm's if you have to upgrade when required. 

 

If somethings not compatible and there is no viable replacement, VM, if there is a viable replacement move to it, if the software is not compatible with the currently installed OS, upgrade the OS to the next LTS release.

Then you have to understand not everyone is financially stable like you. and not everyone work with enterprise

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.
1 minute ago, meowtresting said:

what is wrong with you guys?? Stop assuming I am trying to use paint *facepalm*. I repeated so many times already I am trying to install another software that have similiar restriction

I fail to see how that invalidates anything else I pointed out. A home system has the resources to create a VM that would support the application that you want to use. Or you upgrade Windows so that it can run the application. Or you find a different piece of software that is compatible with the build of Windows that you have.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew S.
Posted (edited)

Then look at alternatives, there are plenty of free and/or opensource packages that can easily replace paid for packages and on top of it, hell just recently as 6 months ago due to financials I had to use some alternative packages for ones that I would normally pay for  eg. GIMP instead of Photoshop, Inkscape instead of Illustrator, Blender instead of Maya/3dsmax 

Link to post
Share on other sites
meowtresting
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I fail to see how that invalidates anything else I pointed out. A home system has the resources to create a VM that would support the application that you want to use. Or you upgrade Windows so that it can run the application. Or you find a different piece of software that is compatible with the build of Windows that you have.

Now that is pure ignorance and inconsiderate. I only got 8gb ram, you think I can allocate 4gb to my vm to load heavy app inside vm? How fast do your vm load?  Sure I can look for alternative, but there are some function only that software got .  Before you judge further, start fully using VM for 3 months to do everything, edit picture, browsing web,  editing document etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Brandon H locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.