Laptop (Lenovo L530) switching between connecting and failing to connect to home WiFi.

This laptop doesn't get heavy use so it's not like it's been overused over the years. It runs Windows 7 64 bit Pro.

I noticed recently that it wasn't connected to the home WiFi. I'd go to reconnect it and it just refused. It'd locate available WiFi networks but it just wouldn't connect (the details had not been changed).

I deleted the connection, tried again and still no joy. Trying and trying, restarting and still no joy. In the end i got an option to press a WPS button on the router which seemed to do the trick .... until the next time. I tried the WPS button again and once again no joy.

I renewed my deal with my ISP and they sent out a new router (for the UK guys i've gone from a BT Smart Hub to a Smart Hub 2). I thought this would solve the issue but nope, as before it would find the home network, i'd enter the password but then it would just refuse to connect.

I had to fire the laptop up yesterday for something that wasn't internet related but i noticed that it decided to connect to the internet.

Any idea why it is dipping in and out of connection?

How good is your home signal? 2.4G or 5G? If the router is on the other side of the house, could cause issues.

It "could" be your laptop wireless card is going out. Normal occurance. I replaced a lot of them. And they could connect again.

The signal isn't the issue.

Although for the record, while i was trying it in the next room with full bar WiFi and it didn't work, i also tried it as i was stood directly next to the router to rule out that very factor.

Oh, OK. Is there a way you can test a cheapo USB wireless dongle? From a local store so you can return it if it does/doesn't help. If that will work, that will tell you your laptop wireless card is bad...

Any logs ... router side or Windows side (Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WLAN - AutoConfig)

Have you tried the Windows 7 network troubleshooter when having these connection issues?

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, OK. Is there a way you can test a cheapo USB wireless dongle? From a local store so you can return it if it does/doesn't help. If that will work, that will tell you your laptop wireless card is bad...

You mean something like this?

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

Any logs ... router side or Windows side (Event Viewer > Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WLAN - AutoConfig)

I'll have a look next time i turn the laptop on. Are they stored for long?

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

Have you tried the Windows 7 network troubleshooter when having these connection issues?

Yup, it was of no use.

Maybe an obvious one, but have you checked for updated drivers? Also check power management, it could be messing with the wireless adapter power.

Have you used the reset button on the underside of the laptop? It's a small, paperclip sized hole. Turn the computer off, insert the paperclip into the hole for about 10 seconds, boot up and try connecting again.

Hello,

Given the age of the unit (2010), I have to wonder if one of the antenna cables might have gotten lose inside.  Have you tried opening it up inside to see if it is loose and reconnecting it?  The ThinkPad L530 Hardware Maintenance Manual gives detailed instructions on how to service it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky