• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Rapper 6ix9ine has $200k charity donation rejected

Steven P.    16,935

Rapper 6ix9ine has had a $200,000 (£163,000) donation to a children's charity rejected.

The No Kid Hungry campaign said it has a policy of rejecting funding from donors who do not fit with its values.

The rapper, who was recently in prison for crimes he carried out as part of a violent gang before making a successful comeback, called the decision "cruel".

The Brooklyn rapper had evaded jail time on previous charges, including child sex offences in 2015.

In a now-deleted Instagram post, 6ix9ine, whose real name is Daniel Hernandez, announced he was donating $200,000 to the campaign, which seeks to solve problems of hunger and poverty in the US.

But Share Our Strength, the non-profit organisation that runs the campaign, told the BBC it had declined the controversial rapper's offer.

"We are grateful for Mr Hernandez's generous offer to donate to No Kid Hungry but we have informed his representatives that we have declined this donation," it said.

"As a child-focused campaign, it is our policy to decline funding from donors whose activities do not align with our mission and values."

The rapper responded on Instagram that he had "never seen something so cruel". He has since deleted the post.

Source: BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52641661

I think if he truly cared about the plight of the No Kid Hungry campaign he could have done it anonymously, seems to me like a failed PR stunt.

I give to charity every month but I don't make a song and dance about it, and I don't share such things on Facebook.

• Like 4

Brandon H    3,898

As a charity for such a campaign focus why would you reject donations from any party? Just anonymize who the donation came from (even if the donor didn't request to be anonymous) if you don't want it publicly known due to a difference in values.

That donation amount could have helped many, but this is like saying "NO! We'd rather the kids starve than take assistance from you" which looks equally bad IMHO

Steven P.    16,935
5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

As a charity for such a campaign focus why would you reject donations from any party? Just anonymize who the donation came from (even if the donor didn't request to be anonymous) if you don't want it publicly known due to a difference in values.

That donation amount could have helped many, but this is like saying "NO! We'd rather the kids starve than take assistance from you" which looks equally bad IMHO

I think the point of the rejection was that the rapper made a deal out of it, and the charity didn't want to be associated with a convicted child sex offender. Like I said, he could have made the donation anonymously and this wouldn't have ever reached any news channels.

Didn't some charities/trusts/university refund money they were given by Epstein? Sort of the same thing, because it was known and public knowledge, not anonymous.

• Like 2

Brandon H    3,898
4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I think the point of the rejection was that the rapper made a deal out of it, and the charity didn't want to be associated with a convicted child sex offender. Like I said, he could have made the donation anonymously and this wouldn't have ever reached any news channels.

yeah, I can understand that but there has to have been a better way the charity could have handled the situation too rather than flat out rejecting the large sum of money that could have significantly helped the cause.

Besides flaunting that he donated it's not like he was asking for anything in return.

That's just my opinion at least. As long as it's a true donation asking for nothing in return then it should be accepted no matter the party it came from.

edit: and the article isn't fully clear on this point. did he make a deal out of the situation before or after the donation was rejected?

• Like 1

Steven P.    16,935

Yeah it is not clear at this point, but can't you agree with me there are channels to donate anonymously? I see these on gofundme pages all the time for stuff that makes the news, a larger amount donated to the cause as "anonymous" so there is no way to know if Bill Gates did it, or some convicted serial rapist if it is anonymous 😛 Clearly this was not the case in this instance.

People made a huge deal about Epstein's monetary donations to the point people resigned from those places which had received the money and (initially) decided to keep it (I think it was some research thinktank thing).

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,898
3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

can't you agree with me there are channels to donate anonymously? I see these on gofundme pages all the mtime for stuff that makes the news, a larger amount donated to the cause as "anonymous" so there is no way to know if Bill Gates did it, or some convicted serial rapist if it is anonymous 😛 Clearly this was not the case in this instance.

oh I don't disagree. That's why I say take it a step farther an auto anonymize the person if the charity doesn't agree with their values; or anonymize it after the fact. Or better yet, make all donations anonymous from the get go.

• Like 1

Louisifer    811

He'll be free to donate anonymously or through a 3rd party. With his history he cant by name be attached to them, It conflicts with their mission. 🙂 

• Like 3

FloatingFatMan    21,016
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Because he's clearly trying to buy forgiveness, and a childrens charity accepting his money gives him that.  I'd have thrown it back in his face too.

wakjak    22,579
11 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'd have thrown it back in his face too

consdering what he did / videoed a 13 year old performing sexual acts... He should...

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    21,016
7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

consdering what he did / videoed a 13 year old performing sexual acts... He should...

.. Die horrifically in an acid fire?  I agree.

• Like 2

DocM    16,889
6 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

.. Die horrifically in an acid fire?  I agree.

Woodchipper food, feet first 😠

• Like 1