Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

It's official, Captain Pike gets his own series.

CBS All Access today announced a series order for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of Star Trek: Discovery, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy. 

Source: https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-ethan-peck-cbs-all-access

I particularly liked the getting back to the inspiration and hope message as opposed to the dreary war-torn federation Discovery displayed. I have a feeling Season 3 will continue that theme. Which is okay, but it'll be nice to have some inspirational trek again.

Edited by shockz

1 minute ago, shockz said:

I particularly liked the getting back to the inspiration and hope message as opposed to the dreary war torn federation Discovery displayed.

Hopefully, but being Pike's journey takes place at the same time as the dreary war-torn federation they'll probably still touch/reference it.  I doubt they will start the series before any of that.

30 minutes ago, primortal said:

Hopefully, but being Pike's journey takes place at the same time as the dreary war-torn federation they'll probably still touch/reference it.  I doubt they will start the series before any of that.

True, but TOS only took place about ~10 years after as well, and while the Klingon incidents/war was certainly a topic, it wasn't the front runner. I expect we'll hear of it occasionally, and run into rifts with the Klingons, but I don't think it'll be front and center.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

I particularly liked the getting back to the inspiration and hope message as opposed to the dreary war-torn federation Discovery displayed. I have a feeling Season 3 will continue that theme. Which is okay, but it'll be nice to have some inspirational trek again.

I don't know, I think discovery season 3 will have more hope going into it.   We'll see though.

1 hour ago, primortal said:

Well, I figure this will pick it shortly after the end of discovery s2 so after a quick little fixup for the enterprise they will probably go back to their deep space exploring.  There should be more of that traditional episodic feel but with a more focused overarching plot in the background to touch up on from time to time.     

I've seen some posts on twitter about CBS milking it with spin-offs, I guess those people forgot how a large group wanted this show to happen.   If anything this is CBS giving the fans what they wanted, now to just see how it plays out.

• George P pinned this topic

This is the show fans have wanted since the last episode of enterprise in 2004. Glad to see it's finally happening. CBS might be milking it, but now we're getting a series with the Enterprise again. That and Picard make for a well rounded Star Trek experience imo. Discovery has been nice, don't get me wrong, but really looking forward to Season 2 of Picard and SNW now.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

True, but TOS only took place about ~10 years after as well, and while the Klingon incidents/war was certainly a topic, it wasn't the front runner. I expect we'll hear of it occasionally, and run into rifts with the Klingons, but I don't think it'll be front and center.

I know they probably won't, but I really hope they ditch the new Klingon design.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

I know they probably won't, but I really hope they ditch the new Klingon design.

I've just accepted it as modern make up. If it was the first time they changed the Klingons in 50 years, I'd think different, but it hasn't. Once they added the hair back in, I'm okay with them.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

I've just accepted it as modern make up. If it was the first time they changed the Klingons in 50 years, I'd think different, but it hasn't. Once they added the hair back in, I'm okay with them.

Not quite 50, but it has been about 35 years since they changed them from smooth to ridged heads.  Maybe if they tone down the size of the false teeth so everyone doesn't have so much trouble talking with them, it'll make them better.

41 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

Not quite 50, but it has been about 35 years since they changed them from smooth to ridged heads.  Maybe if they tone down the size of the false teeth so everyone doesn't have so much trouble talking with them, it'll make them better.

1979. Star Trek 1 featured the ridges. But yeah, the teeth could be adjusted, I do kind of feel like it makes them sound more alien, feral, wild though. 

708441100_ScreenShot2020-05-15at5_35_42PM.thumb.png.9ad2aba80eb06fee465ba024800eb0c0.png

The make up from 1979 to the first TNG episode was again altered for Worf. Who in himself received numerous tweaks up to his DS9-Nemisis role. The TNG to DS9 change was especially noticeable. 

I think we'll see a slow change in their design, minor tweaks over time.  I mean Discovery season 3 isn't the last, pretty sure they already greenlit season 4 right?  So I figure we're in for a steady progression of changes with them as the shows go on.  As far as this show goes, we could be in for totally new stuff we haven't seen, which would be more like the original and TNG, something I think most fans want instead of just relying heavily on established trek races like the klingons and Romulans.  

This could be the ST series people have wanted since the day before Discovery aired. The acting and portrayal of Pike by Anson Mount was the highlight of Discovery for me. Please make it episodic though and not a season drag.

• Like 2

Really excited for this and I was one of those who signed the petition to get CBS to order it to series 😛  

I already said on Twitter that I hope this show is about exploration and not another excuse to be "woke" or having what I am supposed to accept as socially correct shoved into my face (like Discovery definitely is).

6 hours ago, Powerless said:

This could be the ST series people have wanted since the day before Discovery aired. The acting and portrayal of Pike by Anson Mount was the highlight of Discovery for me. Please make it episodic though and not a season drag.

It sounds like it'll be formatted like season 4 of enterprise was, where you have one off episodes and then a 2-3 episode story arc. Definitely not a whole season story line though.

8 hours ago, George P said:

I mean Discovery season 3 isn't the last, pretty sure they already greenlit season 4 right? 

Season 4 and 5 😄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

or having what I am supposed to accept as socially correct shoved into my face (like Discovery definitely is).

I must either be blind or not intentionally looking for triggers to set me off.

I have watched both seasons and have saw nothing shoved into my face whatsoever, outside of the awkward scene with Stamets, Tilly, Culber and Phlliepa about how they're gay and not into a threeway. One scene, out of the entire series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shockz said:

I must either be blind or not intentionally looking for triggers to set me off.

I have watched both seasons and have saw nothing shoved into my face whatsoever, outside of the awkward scene with Stamets, Tilly, Culber and Phlliepa about how they're gay and not into a threeway. One scene, out of the entire series.

That's great :)(Y) 

Let's get Discovery Season 3 going then, the Section 31 series, I keep thinking and hoping Star Trek would leap forward and not keep going backward in time. I'll have to see this new series to pass judgment on it.

But I'm not really a fan of prequel's, even though Discovery is, but won't be in season 3.