Upgrading WiFi Card to 802.11ax, do antennas need upgrading?

Sandy

Hi Neowinians

I am upgrading my WiFi card on my Laptop, currently it is a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 Plus Bluetooth 4.0, 1x1, M.2 2230 format, which is giving me signal problems as it cuts out in the furthest room in my house from the router which happens to be the office. I have opened my laptop to look and currently the card has a black and white cable attached to it, which I've googled to understand are a main cable and an auxilary cable. I have also found a manual for my laptop which shows the antenna's in diagrams.

My new one I am looking to upgrade to is Intel Dual Band WiFi 6 AX200 802.11ax, 2x2, M.2 2230 which I've researched and think would work fine with my laptop.

The only thing I don't understand is whether the antenna's in your laptop need to be upgraded as well or not as my old card was 1x1 and new one is 2x2 and supports technologies such as MIMO. I think taking the whole laptop apart will be too much for me to do to replace the antennas if that's what I need to do. However I've also read on google as there are two cables, it should work fine as 2x2. Can someone offer some insight into this for me please and whether antennas will need upgrading so I know if there is any point in buying the 802.11ax card?

Thank you in advance, much appreciated, been away from the Neowin community for some time :)

Seketh

The antennas should work just fine. I recently did the same in a laptop with a 1x1 realtek card and can get 1.7GB 2x2 from 160Mhz AC with the AX200. 

A mistake I actually did a while back was trying to upgrade a Half Mini PCIe (HMC) to an M.2 AX200 (using an adapter). I didn't realize that the connectors are different, they are 0.5mm bigger in Half Mini PCIe cards. However, since you already have an M.2, you're all set according to the following webpage: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027956/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Edited by Seketh
Mindovermaster

AFAIK, it is the chip that gets you the ax wireless, not the anttennas.

d5aqoëp

No need to upgrade antennas. I have AX200 card installed on my desktop MSI X299 Tomahawk AC motherboard and it works flawless and out of the box since 2004 19041 May build. But download the latest wireless Intel driver from station-drivers.com for best stability as earlier drivers had few bugs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Dell'Oro Group: Huawei Wi-Fi 6 ranked first in the market outside North America
      by Paul Hill

Huawei has reported that the Dell’Oro Group, an independent market analysis and research firm, has ranked Huawei Wi-Fi 6 number one in the global Wi-Fi 6 indoor AP market around the world except in North America. The findings, which were published in a report, cover the period from 2018 Q3 to 2019 Q3.

Wi-Fi 6 is a designation assigned in October 2018 by the Wi-Fi Alliance. It is part of the new Wi-Fi naming system for Wi-Fi generations and Wi-Fi 6 is the simplified name for IEEE 802.11ax. Wi-Fi 6 allows for greater client bandwidth, allows for more concurrent clients, and lowers the latency by three times when compared to Wi-Fi 5.

Dell’Oro Group’s report found that Wi-Fi 6 saw big growth in 2019 while Wi-Fi 4 and Wi-Fi 5 saw their markets decrease slightly. Huawei’s Wi-Fi 6 product is called the AirEngine Wi-Fi 6 and is powered by Huawei 5G. The Chinese firm said its product allows customers to build Wi-Fi 6 networks “with zero coverage holes, zero wait time, and zero packet loss during roaming.”

Commenting on the firm’s product, Steven Zhao, President of Campus Network Domain, Huawei’s Data Communication Product Line, said:

To keep its lead, Huawei said that in future it will work with partners in the industry to deliver “ideal” Wi-Fi 6 network solutions for the new digital applications the future may bring. It will also continue to iterate on its AirEngine Wi-Fi series powered by Huawei 5G to deliver future-proof networks suitable for enterprise.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Intel introduces 802.11ax chips; 'a path to faster, more intelligent Wi-Fi'
      by Usama Jawad

Back in early 2017, Qualcomm announced its 802.11ax chipsets, offering better Wi-Fi performance under heavy load with multiple simultaneous users. Almost one year following this announcement, Intel has unveiled its 802.11ax chips as well.

Intel says that in 2018, it will be paving the "path to faster, more intelligent Wi-Fi" with new chipsets for consumer devices, and mainstream 2x2 and 4x4 home routers and gateways for cable, xDSL, and fiber. The company claims that its chipsets will outperform their predecessors operating under the 802.11ac standard by a margin of 40% on a single-client device in terms of peak data rates. It will also increase average throughput per user by four times in congested locations.

Furthermore, Intel's 802.11ax chipsets are based on Draft 2.0 of 802.11ax, which will be the baseline for 802.11ax certification. This essentially means that if infrastructure devices based on Draft 1.0 are networking with Draft 2.0 client devices, they may experience poor performance. However, Intel is also making its own optimizations to the standard for better performance amongst its own 802.11ax devices. In order to offer a smooth transition process for OEMs, Intel has announced that chipsets based on the 802.11ac standard can easily upgrade to 802.11ax without any change to the host SoC. The new standard is also backward compatible to ensure flexibility with older Wi-Fi technologies.

The firm's 802.11ax home chipsets are designed with the always-connected nature of our current lifestyles in mind, allowing up to 256 devices to connect simultaneously. It will also provide enhanced throughput rates, and low latency in gaming, video, and voice calls. Intel has clarified that the standard offers the primary computing engine dedicated bandwidth so it can carry out necessary security functions.

Source and image credits: Intel

• By Vlad Dudau
      Qualcomm unveils 802.11ax chips, puts your Wi-Fi on steroids
      by Vlad Dudau

Qualcomm has unveiled today its first two products with support for 802.11ax Wi-Fi technology. The two networking devices announced by the chip-maker are designed to perform well under heavy loads and numerous simultaneous users.

Wi-Fi advances have generally focused on top speeds with each successive generation pushing bandwidth and transfer rate technologies. However, as more and more devices are coming online, and even more are expected to follow suit with the advent of the Internet of Things, our airwaves have become very congested. This is where Wi-Fi 802.11ax steps in, as the next version of our wireless communications technology.

802.11ax is designed from the ground up to maximize throughput and transfer speeds on networks that have to simultaneously handle multiple users and operate in a crowded radio environment. By utilizing new technologies, including some from cellular LTE advances like OFDMA, the new generation of Wi-Fi devices can ensure more people have better transfer speeds and connections.

And this is the point at which Qualcomm has joined the market, with it claiming to be the first company to announce end-to-end commercial solutions, supporting 802.11ax. The company can make this claim, because unlike some of its competitors, it unveiled two chips today, one aimed at enterprise access point use, with the other being designed for end-use in consumer products.

The IPQ8074 chips are designed for commercial and enterprise access, featuring a MU-MIMO 12-stream solution: 8x8 5 GHz plus 4x4 2.4 GHz. The system-on-a-chip supports 80 MHz channel width and comes with a Cortex-A53 quad-core processor running at 2Ghz and a dual-core network processor. The 14nm SoC can also support up to four Gigabit MACs as well as NBASE-T with two 10G interfaces.

Meanwhile, the QCA6290 chipset is destined for consumer devices, made on the 28nm process and supporting 2x2 802.11ax connections with concurrent dual-band operation. The chipset is built with power-saving in mind, supporting both 802.11ax power saving technologies, as well as some of Qualcomm’s own proprietary battery conserving tech. As such, the company is suggesting this device is suited for direct integration into computing systems, rather than being used in a USB WLAN adapter.

Qualcomm believes routers based on the IPQ8074 SoC will show up in the market before the end of the year, with end-user devices with the QCA6290 chipset being expected later in 2018.

Source: Qualcomm

• By JohnDevon
      goTenna connects two phones when there's no cell coverage, allowing texting and mapping
      by John Devon

Whether you're camping, on a cruise, skiing, or at a conference with a congested network, we’ve all experienced the inconvenience of being outside our mobile coverage area. goTenna hopes to solve that problem with an off-grid antenna, targeting the adventurous who explore the outdoors but don’t want to buy walkie-talkies.

The goTenna connects phones to each other, each paired with its own antenna. For example, if you’re hiking or traveling with friends but are separated, two or more phones can communicate without a cell tower.

The company claims a range of up to 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) in most outdoor terrain and up to 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) in urban settings. Utilizing long-range radio waves (151-154 MHz), goTenna’s range is comparable to other 2W VHF radios.

The antennas currently only support iOS and Android devices, connecting via Bluetooth and utilizing only goTenna’s apps. There's a proprietary app for messaging and another for offline mapping. Unfortunately, it would appear that using a messaging service like WhatsApp is out of the question since these services don't typically support peer to peer connections independent of the Internet.

The feature set also includes the beginnings of a social network. While private chats are encrypted, users can choose the "Shout" feature to broadcast their messages publicly to anyone within range using a goTenna.

The company just raised $7.5 million and struck an exclusive partnership with REI, the outdoor equipment retailer, to sell its antenna in stores and online. A two-pack of antennas can also be purchased directly from goTenna’s website for $199.

Source: TechCrunch | Images: goTenna

• By Gerowen
      I recorded this video kind of in a hurry in response to an ongoing debate on Facebook.  You'll have to excuse the poor video quality, I replaced my old tablet and the camera on this one is less than impressive to say the least.  I need to invest on a dedicated camera.

Anyway, I'm posting this as its own topic because it doesn't just apply to CB antennas, it can apply to ham radios or anything that uses an antenna.  Many antennas come with built-in tuning coils so that they can be adjusted to operate more efficiently on different frequencies.  The Solarcon A-99 is a popular entry level CB radio base station, but you can use the tuning rings on it to tune it for use on the 10 and 12 meter ham radio bands.  Wilson, Sirio and other companies also make magnet mount mobile antennas for use on cars that have a tuning coil built into their base.  With these antennas, if you check it with an ohm-meter on the coax connector or at the feed point, you will find that there's a DC short between the center pin and the shield/ground.  This is completely normal, and does not indicate a problem with the antenna.

Antennas that attach via a stud mount like a 102 inch steel whip, fiberglass trucker antennas (like Firestiks) and such will not show a DC short between the hot and ground because the ground stops at the stud and the antenna uses the body of the vehicle as counterpoise.  If you are using one of these antennas that does not have a tuning coil in the base, and there's a DC short between the center pin or radiating element and shield, then you do indeed have a problem.  Also, when coax is disconnected from the antenna there should not be any continuity between the center pin and shield.  If there is, then your coax needs to be fixed or replaced.  This is a common issue with smaller coax cables like RG-58 that have a single center conductor, especially when they're kinked or pinched repeatedly because that single conductor can break and poke through the dielectric insulator and short against the shield.  This is one reason I recommend running your coax through drain plugs in the floorboard or through the firewall or some place where they can remain stationary and not get pinched, kinked or cut during normal operation of the vehicle.

So to summarize, the Solarcon/Antron A-99 and other antennas that have a built in-tuning coil will show a DC short on an ohm-meter and this is totally normal.  If you want to verify whether or not an antenna is good, make sure it has continuity from end to end.  There should be continuity between the center pin at the feed point (where the coax connects) and any exposed metal along the radiating element, such as where the sections of an A-99 or iMax 2000 twist together.  Put an antenna analyzer on it and check the SWR at your desired operating frequencies, or use a spare radio you don't care about with an in-line meter to measure the SWR.  If possible at the time, hit the antenna with as much power as you plan on using, because sometimes the radiating elements can be burned up and will show low SWR readings at low power output levels, but then skyrocket when you actually connect your radio and hit them with higher power levels.  This requires you to actually mount the antenna, even if it's only temporary, because checking SWR with the antenna on the ground will not give you accurate readings.  Check for obvious physical damage, make sure the drain holes in the bottom of an A-99 and iMax 2000 are clear so that moisture can drain out, and make sure the vinyl cap for the tip of the antenna is still present, etc., but don't be alarmed if your A-99 shows a DC short from hot to ground, :-)