Attempted to make a gel button

Question

Just using PhotoShop (5.0.2 Win) for the first time and thought I would try to do a gel button. Not bad I guess for my first project, but I could use some suggestions on how to make it look better. Anyone know what RGB values Apple uses to make theirs?

Gel.gif

12 answers to this question

I really like what you have produced. It almost looks as though its glowing and the drop shadow effect is nicely done. Good use of transparency too. I personally think you should stick to this color. Its a refreshing change after having looked at so many aqua buttons already. :)

Originally posted by Keldyn  

I'm not sure but i really like what you have produced. It almost looks as though its glowing and the drop shadow effect is nicely done. Good use of transparency too. I personally think you should stick to this color. Its a refreshing change after having looked at so many aqua buttons already. :)

Thanks. I must be on the right track then : ) I suspect that maybe newer versions of PS would allow more effects?

Originally posted by drewster2100  

could you tell me where you learned how to make that? or how you did it, thanks, ladr

Sure. I used two different tutorials for guidelines.

For the basic button I used

This one

And for the seethru background

This one

Good luck. If you want I can email you the .psd file so you can see all the various layers it uses.

Originally posted by Keldyn  

Yes indeedy... but version 5 should be sufficient for what you are doing. ;)

Kewl. Then I will attempt to expand into other UI graphics so that I can actually contribute stuff rather then just leeching off more talented people :lick:

Originally posted by linux2  

Kewl.  Then I will attempt to expand into other UI graphics so that I can actually contribute stuff rather then just leeching off more talented people :lick:

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with in future, so feel free to continue posting your efforts. :)

man, this looks good. can i have the button (the file or whatever). i will use this for my start button in win xp(why not...even if you say this is another sort of button...i'll adapt it..lol...so why not?). so please give me a link or send me thru email pls. thnax:)

Originally posted by mariusu  

man, this looks good. can i have the button (the file or whatever). i will use this for my start button in win xp(why not...even if you say this is another sort of button...i'll adapt it..lol...so why not?). so please give me a link or send me thru email pls. thnax:)

Check your email :)