• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Backing up files off site (both myself and the other site)?

Technique    41

I'm not close to being able to do this but i am curious about it after watching videos on the topic. So i should back up my data right, i get that. In the guidelines of backing up i should also have a copy off site. So far so good i guess.

I have quite a bit of data to back up in terms of TB required (mostly my Plex library but also many TBs of other videos, audio, pics, documents etc). The only off site i'd be able to back this up at is my mothers where my brother & sister also live.

I've been looking at Synology NAS devices which look interesting (& expensive). I saw one video where the guy & his brother had synology NAS devices at each others house as well as their own. It's this that sparked me to create this thread.

I run a Windows machine and have absolutely zero interest in Mac. My brother and sister own a Windows PC but my sister also owns a Mac laptop.

I know if you have an external HDD it needs to be formatted for either Windows or Mac so how would it all work backing up off site? For example, me backing up my data off site at my mothers address where my sister would also have a Mac? Is that doable?

In the video i watched there were 4 NAS devices in place. What does this offer above and beyond just two NAS devices? Note: I'm talking about 2 NAS devices, not necessarily 2 hard drives. Could be say 5 hard drives for each device as an example.

Dan~    279
Posted (edited)

Not really answering your question at all, but I had something similar but decided in the end to put only my absolute essential on a HDD and store in a different location.

So I get your reasoning but my logic was mostly photos anything else I can get again like music/films 

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,918
10 hours ago, Technique said:

I know if you have an external HDD it needs to be formatted for either Windows or Mac so how would it all work backing up off site? For example, me backing up my data off site at my mothers address where my sister would also have a Mac? Is that doable?

What do you mean by "doable"? Are you asking from a data access point of view or the Mac being part of your backup plan? 

10 hours ago, Technique said:

In the video i watched there were 4 NAS devices in place. What does this offer above and beyond just two NAS devices? Note: I'm talking about 2 NAS devices, not necessarily 2 hard drives. Could be say 5 hard drives for each device as an example.

I'm surprised this is not something they talk about in the video itself. Do you have a link, I'd be curious to see it too. 

I guess if you had two NAS devices in both locations, you could have a 1:1 backup of each device. This is assuming that each brother's device has different information. If there was a HDD failure, you have a device that you're able to use instead of having downtime or time rebuilding the NAS. 

This has a lot of assumptions as I'm not sure about the particular setup in the video. 

I have two backups of my essential data (all data excluding and films or music). This is backed up to the cloud once a week and then I take a copy onto a portable drive which lives off site. 

What are you trying to achieve? If you lay that out we can give you pointers. 

• Like 1

Technique    41
On 5/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, Dan~ said:

Not really answering your question at all, but I had something similar but decided in the end to put only my absolute essential on a HDD and store in a different location.

So I get your reasoning but my logic was mostly photos anything else I can get again like music/films 

A lot of the music and movies i have currently on various hard drives will be a mixture of unable to get again or would cost me a lot of money to get again.

There's a lot i would be able to just copy again but then as i say there's so much i just wouldn't be able to.

On 5/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, dipsylalapo said:

What do you mean by "doable"? Are you asking from a data access point of view or the Mac being part of your backup plan? 

I don't really know what i'm asking tbh. I remember when i gave my sister a spare external drive and her Mac didn't like it as it needed to be formatted for use with a Mac ... then it was able to work with it but then my PC couldn't as it'd been formatted to work with a Mac.

My idea of backing up was just connecting a drive to my PC and backing the stuff up, but then that wouldn't tick the off site box. I'd have to back up again, go for a (car) drive and put the (computer) drive at my mothers place.

From watching YouTube (it was this video that actually sparked me creating this thread) it made me think about the idea of having something else in place where it was sort of done automatic or at least at the press of a button.

But then from this i thought my family at my mothers will have no backup system in place either so wondered if we could sort the whole lot out.

I'm surprised this is not something they talk about in the video itself. Do you have a link, I'd be curious to see it too. 

They may do. There's plenty that's been mentioned that i don't actually understand or fully understand.

I am aware that the people in the video are likely high consumption overkill guys and that their setup may not apply to the average guy.

What are you trying to achieve? If you lay that out we can give you pointers. 

When i finally get my backside in gear and move beyond "i feel like i'll backup the hard drive this weekend ... drag, drop, drag, drop" i want to have an automatic setup.

I turn my PC off every night but if say Saturday in to Sunday i just leave the PC on overnight and it backs up. It wont necessarily need to do a while PC backup as there will  have been only a few changes (usually) but i'm not sure what's best in that scenario.

Due to what i need backed up we will be talking a bit of storage space.

Then i will ideally need a backup of the backup and one off site. I guess this could be a 2 birds 1 stone thing where i have a backup on site and then a backup of the backup which is also stored off site.

This is when i did then wonder if i could help out the other family members some way. They have a PC which they barely ever use but there's my sisters Mac which even at the very least if their only backup was the offsite backup at my place it would be better than nothing.

And add to that if they could all back up their phones to the device (all 3 have iPhones and 2 of them have iPads) then all the better. I don't know what's possible and what isn't though tbh.

dipsylalapo    1,918

Finally got around to watching the video. The guy has 4 drives that are replicating to his brothers house that are hosted in the NAS. He used RAID across his drives. This can help with performance and provides a level of redundancy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like this is what you're after

• Backup of your files and your sisters/families files
    • Just to check, do they live in one house or two.
  • Automated
  • Platform agnostic (will work on your sisters Mac and your Windows machine (possibly phones too?)

Having a similar setup to what was shown in the video whilst would take out a lot of your manual work, could be fairly costly and, frankly, beyond my knowledge ;)

How much data are we talking about? GBs or TBs

There are tools out there, Like Acronis, which will do something like what you're after. Create a backup locally and then sync to the Cloud, that way you have back up in two locations. This will work for whichever devices you install this on.

Just to give you an idea of what I do (which is similar to your situation). I have around 500GB (which is a tiny amount of data).

• This is stored on some drives that have been RAID'd, which provide some redundancy.
  • All of that is backed up the cloud (OneDrive) once a week. This is automated, it creates a backup file, which is dumped into a folder which is kept in sync with OneDrive
  • Once a month, over a weekend, I take an external drive and attach that to my server. It makes a copy of the data that I've selected. This is then dropped off at my in laws.

The stuff that I backup is older stuff, photos from digital cameras or old phones, documents etc so doesn't tend to change that often. For me, I wouldn't lose much data in between backup. Any photos that I take on my phone or my wife's phone is automatically backed up to Google Drive. When we get new phones, those photos will move onto OneDrive.

It would be worth spending some time having a think about the strategy before doing anything. Think about how much data are you backing up, how often does that data change etc.

Final thought, I think you're from the UK, which I know usually has terrible upload speeds. It took me around 5 days to do my initial upload (around 500GB). This may also play into what's achievable. 

Just some food for thought.