George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion

Steven P.

The FBI will investigate the death of a black man in the US state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a police officer kneeling on his neck.

In the footage, the man believed to be in his 40s is heard groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the officer, who is white.

The Minneapolis Police Department said the officers had responded to a report of a forgery in progress.

It said the man died after a "medical incident" in a "police interaction".

It is the latest accusation of US police brutality against African Americans. Recent high-profile cases include an officer in Maryland who fatally shot a man inside a patrol car.

The incident in Minneapolis on Monday evening began after officers located the man in his car, police said in a statement. They were told the man, who has not been identified, was "sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence".

After being ordered to step away from the vehicle, the man physically resisted officers, according to police. "Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress," the statement added.

In the 10-minute video, the man is kept on the ground by the officer and, at one point, says: "Don't kill me".

Full story: BBC

Below video is distressing (man literally dies while being filmed)

*** viewers discretion ***

Video link now that embed doesn't work https://www.facebook.com/darnellareallprettymarie/posts/1425401580994277

*** viewers discretion *** ^^^

I mean I get the police have a tough job and I bet that man was not very easy to get under control, but by the penalty of death?

techbeck

Some cops take things to far.  Just a reminder this is not the norm for Police and most are responsible.  But like anything else, there are always a few bad eggs giving that makes everyone else look bad.

• Like 2
He's Dead Jim

Bad cops deserve locked up for a very long time for this murder. :(

Sir Topham Hatt
3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I mean I get the police have a tough job and I bet that man was not very easy to get under control, but by the penalty of death?

Isn't there a film with judge, jury and executioner all in one person... Robocop?

This guy certainly ain't Robocop! 

waysidesc

One even said 'this is why you don't do drugs, kids' while killing the man. Absolutely disgusting.

+Dick Montage

Institutional racism is alive and well in many police forces.

Steven P.
30 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Isn't there a film with judge, jury and executioner all in one person... Robocop?

This guy certainly ain't Robocop! 

I think you're thinking of Judge Dredd.

• Like 3
+xrobwx71

That's cut and dry.  Apparently he was combative based on what the bystander was saying. That Officer should have called EMS the minute he subdued him to check for injuries. Man, that's bad.

It hurts the rest of the Officers out there trying to do their job.  It hurts the relationship between Officers and the Communities.

His symptoms point towards Myocardial Infarction. His neck didn't seem compressed enough to cut off the airway, if it was he wouldn't be making sound much less talking. Either way, the Officer is guilty of this poor guys death.

I hope at  least they both go to jail. 

• Like 1
Steven P.
21 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Now looting and violence follows....again...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-protests-minneapolis-deadly-city-mayor-calm

Incidents like this gives people an excuse to act like idiots.

I guess if the cops did their job properly people wouldn't have an excuse to act like idiots and riot.

• Like 6
techbeck
9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I guess if the cops did their job properly people wouldn't have an excuse to act like idiots and riot.

Most cops do.  And still, not an excuse for people to destroy property and cause violence.   If you need an excuse to cause issues/violence then you need some help.

Steven P.
2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Most cops do.  And still, not an excuse for people to destroy property and cause violence.   If you need an excuse to cause issues/violence then you need some help.

Incase you can't see/use Twitter: Chris Rock in 2018.

1.png2.png

3png.png4.png

• Like 8
adrynalyne
57 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Now looting and violence follows....again...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-protests-minneapolis-deadly-city-mayor-calm

Incidents like this gives people an excuse to act like idiots.

But there are no cries for that to stop. Somehow it is justified by the black community....?

Steven P.
6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

But there are no cries for that to stop. Somehow it is justified by the black community....?

I take no responsibility at all.” -The President of the United States. 

Maybe they learned from "the best"? I don't know, you seem to have all the answers.

• Facepalm 1
techbeck
31 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Incase you can't see/use Twitter: Chris Rock in 2018.

There are bad pilots as well.  Like those who drink/do drugs before flights and who got caught.  Or flying into things.  Luckily, they were caught before something happened.    And different professions, different results.  Tons more cops out there than pilots.   A few bad people is not the norm for that group/profession.

Being violent and aggressive causes more issues and it is harder to resolve a situation.  Just not needed.  I mean, does the death of a person, even black, justify people stealing things and damaging property?  Especially if you do not know the victim?  I mean, the guy down the street got shot/killed so that justifies me breaking in to a a store and stealing things.  Sorry, that is not how things work.  Responses to a crime is not, should not, be a crime.

adrynalyne
8 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I take no responsibility at all.” -The President of the United States. 

Maybe they learned from "the best"? I don't know, you seem to have all the answers.

I seem to have all the answers? Take that BS elsewhere. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
wakjak
33 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

• Like 2
adrynalyne
Just now, wakjak said:

So at least one person was found dead during these riots. Stores not even involved with the police were burned. I guess I will never understand how that is an equal response. Can I say what a better way is? No...but burning down an autozone or killing someone else doesn’t seem to be a good one. 

techbeck

Justice, in this case, did not get a chance to drag their feet.  So that excuse is junk.  Even if justice did fail in this instance, then still no excuse to riot and damage property.  People think incidents like this gives them a free pass to be idiots themselves.  It doesnt.

• Thanks 1
TheLaughingMan

Low standard and training to be in the police force. We should just get rid of them and use the military to enforce the law of the land. They are better trained, nicer and respect your feelings.

• Facepalm 1
techbeck
4 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Low standard and training to be in the police force. We should just get rid of them and use the military to enforce the law of the land. They are better trained, nicer and respect your feelings.

I know many Police officers who are just fine.   This is not the norm for most police officers.  Most are good. Some take it to far.  We do not need the Military to enforce things.

And Military, some have been party of shady practices over seas and mistreating people as well.  Another example of a few bad eggs giving a whole group a bad rep.

• Thanks 1
techbeck

George Floyd case: Two Minneapolis cops caught on tape have history of conduct complaints

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-case-two-minneapolis-cops-caught-on-tape-have-history-of-conduct-complaints

Looks like cops protecting cops.  4 officers fired and DOJ and FBI are looking in to the case.  Looks like heads are going to roll.   But the looting, violence, and calls for justice are totally justified since nothing is being done to hold those accountable..../s    Meanwhile, a white father, son, and the guy who filmed it are being charged with the murder of a black guy and you hear little to nothing about it.    No looting, no violence, no destruction of property.    Similar situations but I guess when cops are the people doing bad, it justifies people bad things as well.

mudslag
5 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Uh no

• Brandon H changed the title to George Floyd Death & Protest/Riot Discussion